Blatant Ad Pop ups

Billmcm

Thread author
Jun 4, 2016
Pop up ads are getting more and more brazen. They are now taunting the antivirus software giants to stop them. They defiantly attack the very programs that are supposed to remove them.

I installed AVG antivirus, and bogus pop up ads for AVG began to appear. I then installed AVAST antivirus software, and pop up ads for AVAST started to appear. And the most objectionable ads were for Norton antivirus renewals, and I have never had Norton antivirus installed.

It is just as though these ads are challenging the major antivirus and anti malware companies to try to remove them. and NONE of the PC protection software products seem to be able to IDENTIFY them or STOP them.

It is almost humorous to see the client forums where they are blaming Norton and other software companies for trying to obtain renewals and upgrades, when the ads are BOGUS. The ads are deliberately insulting the capabilities of the ad blocking, malware protection and virus security software companies.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Pop up ads are getting more and more brazen. They are now taunting the antivirus software giants to stop them. They defiantly attack the very programs that are supposed to remove them.

I installed AVG antivirus, and bogus pop up ads for AVG began to appear. I then installed AVAST antivirus software, and pop up ads for AVAST started to appear. And the most objectionable ads were for Norton antivirus renewals, and I have never had Norton antivirus installed.

It is just as though these ads are challenging the major antivirus and anti malware companies to try to remove them. and NONE of the PC protection software products seem to be able to IDENTIFY them or STOP them.

It is almost humorous to see the client forums where they are blaming Norton and other software companies for trying to obtain renewals and upgrades, when the ads are BOGUS. The ads are deliberately insulting the capabilities of the ad blocking, malware protection and virus security software companies.
Stop using those products the ads will stop. Use windows defender which is built into your operating system ( if it is windows 10). You will no longer be troubled by ads. There is a software called "Adguard" which you can install in your system and Stop ads system wide.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Avast and AVG which are owned by the same company (Avast) were fairly recently involved in a privacy scandal where they were harvesting excessive amounts of user's web browsing data and selling it to advertisers. I in no way recommend Avast or AVG because I have had blue screen issues and viruses getting through many years back when I used it. Avast Scandal: Here's What You Need To Know

I personally recommend Avira, Panda or Windows defender for free protection.

Also, for Ad protection, Adguard browser extension which is free is very good at blocking ads.
I personally use Avira and AdGuard browser extension in Vivaldi browser.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
AdGuard for windows (desktop) users can install an additional user script easily (link) which blocks popups and popunders which are not initiated by user action (functionality similar to proper blocker and strict popup blocker, only one install for all browsers).

Billmcm

Thread author
Jun 4, 2016
Stop using those products the ads will stop. Use windows defender which is built into your operating system ( if it is windows 10). You will no longer be troubled by ads. There is a software called "Adguard" which you can install in your system and Stop ads system wide.

Thanks for the reply. I have been running Windows 10 with Chrome "AdBlock", Chrome "Windows Defender Browser Protection", "Chrome Adaware Ad Block" and Chrome "MinerBlock". But the ads were still popping up.

Today, I went to Settings and set the Defender firewall to "ON". but the ads still pop up. The firewall will probably not affect malware that has passed undetected and been (silently) installed. It is then necessary for your anivirus scan or antimalware scan to seek it out and delete it. However, it seems that even the best protection software cannot detect its "entry" or "presence".
______
Bill

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I have been running Windows 10 with Chrome "AdBlock", Chrome "Windows Defender Browser Protection", "Chrome Adaware Ad Block" and Chrome "MinerBlock". But the ads were still popping up.

Today, I went to Settings and set the Defender firewall to "ON". but the ads still pop up. The firewall will probably not affect malware that has passed undetected and been (silently) installed. It is then necessary for your anivirus scan or antimalware scan to seek it out and delete it. However, it seems that even the best protection software cannot detect its "entry" or "presence".
______
Bill
Are you experiencing popups only while using chrome or other browser ? First ensure that avast and all other antivirus software is uninstalled. Then scan your computer with Hitman pro, Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit. Remove any malware if found. Uninstall all those unnecessary extension from chrome. Reset the chrome browser and install only one adblocking extension like u- block origin or Adguard.
1. HitmanPro. Advanced malware scanning and removal with Hitman Pro.
2. Norton Power Eraser
3. Emsisoft Emergency Kit

If these does not work there is a Malware Removal Help & Support sub forum here. you can post your query there and you will surely get help in removing malware from your PC. (Windows Malware Removal Help & Support)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.