Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Release Notes
  • Added support for CNAME adblocking. (#11712)
  • Added support for including New Tab Page Sponsored Image views in "Estimated pending rewards" and "Ad notifications received this month" for Brave Ads. (#10488)
  • Added Greaselion support for Twitter creators. (#11462)
  • Added Greaselion support for GitHub creators. (#11463)
  • Added Greaselion support for Reddit creators. (#11464)
  • Added promotion for Uphold Equities Card. (#12276)
  • Added P3A metrics for the New Tab Page. (#12267)
  • Added setting for "Cycle through the most recently used tabs with Ctrl-Tab" under brave://settings/appearance. (#913)
  • Improved user interface to make it easier to interact with ".onion" sites. (#806)
  • Improved top site tiles on the New Tab Page. (#12772)
  • Improved Dapp detection so that it is not triggered on https://web.archive.org. (#11865)
  • Implemented WebGL2 fingerprint farbling protections. (#9189)
  • Implemented User Agent fingerprint farbling protections. (#12097)
  • Updated design for Brave Rewards tipping banners. (#11393)
  • Re-enabled Safe Browsing for downloads. (#6267)
  • Removed Bitcoin.com widget from the New Tab Page. (#12699)
  • Removed known user tracking parameter "_openstat" from query strings. (#11579)
  • Fixed Greaselion race condition which caused the content-level tip button text to not display properly. (#12264)
  • Fixed favicon for verified Twitter creators not being displayed correctly under the rewards panel. (#4557)
  • Fixed inability to tip a creator from the rewards panel if content-level tips were disabled. (#12090)
  • Fixed content-level tip button not displaying for the selected tweet on a Twitter thread. (#6762)
  • Fixed Twitter handle not displaying correctly when tweeting about a tip in certain cases. (#8265)
  • Fixed issue where tipping a user's likes on Twitter would result in the incorrect Twitter handle being displayed in the tweet. (#5685)
  • Fixed alignment of content-level tip button on certain GitHub pages. (#10434)
  • Fixed content-level tip button not being displayed on certain GitHub pages. (#11766)
  • Fixed landed confirmations being created without clicking on the Brave Ad notification. (#12155)
  • Fixed issue where Brave Ad confirmations failed to migrate from older versions if Brave Ads were off in certain cases. (#12260)
  • Fixed issue where WebGL shader API was incorrectly being blocked in certain cases. (#12366)
  • Fixed issue where trackpad zoom on Google Maps was too sensitive. (#12310)
  • Fixed certain maps not displaying properly. (#12448)
  • Fixed incorrect initial display of bubble buttons from the URL bar. (#11838)
  • Fixed "Customize Dashboard" tool tip text incorrectly being shown outside of the Customize Dashboard modal. (#10299)
  • Fixed labels under brave://settings for consistency. (#8822)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 87.0.4280.67. (#12793)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
They are 3rd party trackers disguised as 1st party and require a particular method to block them.
Some reading about those first party trackers:
Geoffrey Frogeye's block list of first-party trackers
CNAME Cloaking, the dangerous disguise of third-party trackers | by Romain Cointepas | NextDNS | Medium
Most are already covered by Easy Privacy or AdGuard Tracking Protection, so don't worry too much about them:
About CNAME tracker: I really don't understand why it's so special to some people. Apparently they still believe subscribing a dedicated anti CNAME tracker list is mandatory to block them if a DNS-level blocker is not deployed on an other layer. The fact is EasyPrivacy alone, or the combination of AdGuard Tracking Protection and my list, blocks about 70% of CNAME tracker while DEFINITELY many other analytics and trackers have slipped whatever your lists through, as long as you visit many sites. You prefer to double-lock a window and keep the door open? CNAME tracker is NOT at all harder to block and filter authors know much more serious circumvention. This reminds me that many people keep NoCoin despite EasyPrivacy + uBlock filters - Resource abuse covers 99% of them, and that others keep Adblock Warning Removal with a completely wrong assumption it has something to do with anti-adblock wall. Don't be fooled by misinformation on the Internet.
A quote of Yuki2718 from his GitHub page:
GitHub - Yuki2718/adblock

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
An excerpt from the Brave Blog:

Brave’s Solution

In Brave 1.17, Brave Shields will now recursively check the canonical name records for any network request that isn’t otherwise blocked using an embedded DNS resolver. If the request has a CNAME record, and the same request under the canonical domain would be blocked, then the request is blocked. This solution is on by default, bringing enhanced privacy protections to millions of users.

Consider the site https://mathon.fr as a concrete example. Without CNAME uncloaking, Brave blocks 6 requests for tracking scripts served by Google, Facebook, Criteo, Sirdan, and Trustpilot. Four of these requests are initiated by a single script hosted under a randomized path under the first-party subdomain 16ao.mathon.fr. Inspection outside of the browser reveals that 16ao.mathon.fr actually has a canonical name of et5.eulerian.net, meaning it’s a third-party script served by Eulerian. With CNAME uncloaking, Brave 1.17 is able to detect the CNAME redirection and block the initial Eulerian script before it can initiate requests to any other third party trackers, enhancing users’ privacy and saving network bandwidth and CPU cycles at the same time.
Source:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave release channel update to: Version 1.17.75 Chromium: 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Release Notes V1.17.75

• Added “Don’t ask again” button under Crypto Wallet infobar. (#12482)
  • Fixed menu items missing from bookmark context menu when using German locale. (#12844)
  • Updated “Ad notifications received this month” text under brave://rewards to “Ads received this month”. (#12719)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 87.0.4280.88. (#13006)
Stay safe and stay Brave, my friends! (y):D

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's an example of how Brave Shields are superior to other browsers' built-in blockers.
  • Works well out-of-the-box with Standard and Aggressive modes
  • Quick fixes to issues via Brave Community
Shields are one feature that the Brave team maintains very well.

Stay Brave, my friends! :D

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hey @oldschool , do you know if any AV already works with Brave or we still need to depend of AV extensions (like Bitdefender Trafficlight)
I believe AVG gave some protection, including Network Protection, with and/or without HTTP scanning - but I performed only brief testing. @McMcbrad would know the technical details better than I.

I don't use any extensions for web protection. Just enable Google SafeBrowsing in Brave and you're good, unless you're a very risky surfer. ;)

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Hey @oldschool , do you know if any AV already works with Brave or we still need to depend of AV extensions (like Bitdefender Trafficlight)
ESET works for me.
eset.jpg

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
AVG Web Shield (and Avast) is system-wide, available for all apps. With any other AV, I recommend that an extension is used, unless you have some issue with that.

&so does QuickHeal (and K7, which I haven't a screenshot at hand), both w/o extensions.

Any AV that block malicious sites at system level should work in every browser. Things like HTTPS scanning only works in browsers supported by the vendors and many don't support Brave yet.
Ty guys

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Any AV that block malicious sites at system level should work in every browser. Things like HTTPS scanning only works in browsers supported by the vendors and many don't support Brave yet.
True.

Some antiviruses like Kaspersky and ESET by default won't scan https traffic in Brave. However they can be configure to do so.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.