Advice Request Browser security checking options

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Hi folks,

I have spent the best part of the weekend researching, downloading and activating security apps. for my 2020 iPad Pro 11 and iPhone XR both running iOS 15.3.1. In addition, I have read and reread lots of advice and tips on tweaking Safari’s settings to maximise its inbuilt security capabilities. I’m pretty happy with the results..

The problem is testing how effective these mods. have been! There seem to be a small number of websites that offer the chance to run browser security checks. I have run 5 with varying levels of success. However, two tests in particular returned the result “ad blocking not present” even though I had paid for premium apps. from AdGuard and Wipr installed and enabled as Safari extensions(not at the same time of course). Both report ‘active’ when self analysing.

Can anyone throw any light on either why this is happening or suggest any browser security checking options?

(also running ExpressVPN 11.38.1 paid).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kongo and Back3

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I also have Wipr on my Ipad and my Iphone. But my main security app has been NextDNS for the last 2 years. I like the fact that the protection is global and not limited to Safari. Windscribe VPN is installed, but not used very often. I have enabled Icloud Private Relay for Safari.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I also have Wipr on my Ipad and my Iphone. But my main security app has been NextDNS for the last 2 years. I like the fact that the protection is global and not limited to Safari. Windscribe VPN is installed, but not used very often. I have enabled Icloud Private Relay for Safari.
+1

Only problem with NextDNS and Private Relay is, that the DNS will be leaking.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Thanks folks. Will chek out NextDNS and Winscribe. Currently using iCloud Private Relay(plus Prevent Cross Site Tracking).

No DNS leakage according to bash.ws analysis using ExpressVPN(uses 3 DNS servers according to bash.ws).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Back3 and Kongo

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Nice thread about NextDNS
Cheers. Thanks.

Very interesting. My take was, NextDNS ‘might’ have limited servers in this part of the world. According to their map, they have 1 server in England, 1 in Ireland, 3 in Africa, 5 in Australia and only 8 south of the US border. That’s 18 for a fairly sizable chunk of the World. Another thing was that, there seems to an awful lot of ‘copy and paste’ ‘ing of DNS stuff to get it really up to speed. I got over playing with all that sort of stuff when MSDos was still king🥸.

I used f-secure freedome for several years and loved it. Problem was everytime I used the Australian servers it would ‘lock-up’ and crash my wifi network. F-secure have been aware of it for years but, so far, nothing. Overseas servers were great but you eventually get sick of stuff being in German, Dutch or Spanish.

Still, I am happy to give it a whirl if I can trust Australian severs.

Cheers

Reactions: Back3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.