Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Smartscreen can't be reached right now
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Check my internet connection
I setup my Windows 10 Build 1803 last night, and I keep getting this Smartscreen pop up every time I tried to run my software. I can check and install updates through Windows Update fine.
Smartscreen can't be reached right now. Check your internet connection. Windows Defender Smartscreen is unreachable and can't help you decide if this app is ok to run.

Do any of you guys have this smartscreen can't be reached when you download a new app and run it? I tested on my laptop, and I am getting the same result as a new clean installation on my desktop.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

OK I thought you were talking about when you download the app, when I try to install the app I do get the warning. so yes it must be their internet cloud thing.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_98 May. 06 15.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_98 May. 06 15.56.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
found this issues goes way back.

Windows SmartScreen can't be reached

Most every solution I found searching to fix the issue ended with either "Restore PC with fresh install, or Turn Off Smart Screen".

What got me, in microsoft's own forums several of the Admins stated "Just turn it off". I find that rather disturbing considering what smart screen actually does.

I dunno. I'm going to leave it on and install Emsisoft ANtimalware with behavior blocker. I have about 232 days left on a license of mine, which I believe it would be a better solution than Win Defender & Smartscreen anyway eh?

I have Smartscreen set to "Warn" so I can still install whatever I want. But it is useless whenever you consider it says it can't be reached.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Check if the SmartScreen for Explorer is really set to WARN.

It was set to BLOCK, now set to WARN, I got both "RUN" and "DON'T RUN" options but still showed message: "... cannot be reached now." Next, I don't see this option at all. Now, I've tried running two different files with "Run as Administrator" and as "RunBySmartscreen" and I'm getting different results. One file NOT allowed to run either as "Run as Administrator" or "RunbySmartscreen", only "Don't Run" option appearing. One file IS allowed to Run as Admin with UAC prompt, and then using "RunBySmartscreen" without either RBS prompt or UAC prompt. Really crazy!

Upvote 0
I

illumination

A quick search with Google "making sure to notice time stamps of each result for most current" has shown this problem is wider then just here in this forum. I even found some posts on Reddit concerning this issue.

This does not surprise me in anyway,shape or form.
What got me, in microsoft's own forums several of the Admins stated "Just turn it off". I find that rather disturbing considering what smart screen actually does.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.