Building a computer. Server RAM Desktop RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Hi guys/gals,

I'm going to build my first PC for gaming and running servers. I would like some help. Any at all it very much appreciated. First question is what is the difference between server RAM and Desktop RAM? Will is be bad to use one for the other?

Thanks,
Shaun

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Well, if your motherboard supports ECC RAM and you have the budget, then go for it. But if I were in your position, I'd probably go with some good ol' 1600 MHz low latency RAM and save a bit of extra cash which can be used on a better processor or GPU.

Reactions: Shaun

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
I managed to get a 4Ghz quad core processor for £30 and the motherboard and case are £20 each. I have got a 2GB RAM for £3. I'm really wanting a 4GB one but the price is so expensive for some.

Would it be better if i liked each part?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
The thing that you need to consider if you're building a gaming system is a good CPU and GPU that fits your budget. Sorry if I'm getting off-topic but what are your choices?

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
The most major difference is the reliability.

Servers cannot have any downtime. Hence, they use a memory called ECC memory. ECC memory automatically checks and corrects any errors to prevent any errors from happening.

For desktops, the memory (DDR, SDR etc.) are not as reliable as they will not check for any errors. Hence, you can get memory errors at times. However speed wise there is not much difference given that desktop memory is getting faster and faster.

Reactions: Shaun

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
can you tell what hardware you have. Ecc is better but not a must, it also depends what application you will use; for Desktop usage normal ram is more than enought

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Well this is the motherboard i was looking at : https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81ME/

So i'm looking to build off that.

The most major difference is the reliability.

Servers cannot have any downtime. Hence, they use a memory called ECC memory. ECC memory automatically checks and corrects any errors to prevent any errors from happening.

For desktops, the memory (DDR, SDR etc.) are not as reliable as they will not check for any errors. Hence, you can get memory errors at times. However speed wise there is not much difference given that desktop memory is getting faster and faster.

can you tell what hardware you have. Ecc is better but not a must, it also depends what application you will use; for Desktop usage normal ram is more than enought

It's just that server RAM is like half the price of Desktop RAM thats why i was interested to know. Like i said First time building no idea how to do it :p Thank you for the useful information.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
then you have sandy or ivy bridge as a cpu, what - cpu do you have?

you can only utilize ecc on a ecc-ram if it's a exon cpu.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Well the motherboard of you choice's specifications page says that it only supports Non-ECC Memory so you're off with that one, I guess.

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
then you have sandy or ivy bridge as a cpu, what - cpu do you have?

you can only utilize ecc on a ecc-ram if it's a exon cpu.
The one i got was an inter i7 but i don't need to use that i can get another i just got it because it was on sale and i can use it for another PC i have.

Well the motherboard of you choice's specifications page says that it only supports Non-ECC Memory so you're off with that one, I guess.

I just thought you get RAM and that's it i know there's DDR3 and 2 and 1 but apart from that no clue

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
a 4 GB 1600 MHz DD3 should do you fine if you're in a really tight budget. Just don't skimp on your CPU and GPU and you should be able to play most games.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
the motherboard doesn't need to support it as the cpu has the memory controller and not the motherboard

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I wasn't aware of that until this time. I usually stick to the specified memory types that are supported by a particular motherboard when custom building PCs to avoid possible incompatibilities. Thanks for the info!

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
For a single 2TB or 3TB will i need a certain power supply? Or will any do?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
a 500-600 Watts PSU from a reliable brand should be enough. Seasonic is usually the brand that I choose for a budget build.

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
a 500-600 Watts PSU from a reliable brand should be enough. Seasonic is usually the brand that I choose for a budget build.

Great tank you. is it worth my while getting a wireless card? also a good graphics card will be costly any recommendations?

a 4 GB 1600 MHz DD3 should do you fine if you're in a really tight budget. Just don't skimp on your CPU and GPU and you should be able to play most games.

Would a 1333 MHz chip do?

Thanks

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Unless your PC's unreachable by your ethernet cable, then you should go for a wireless card. For a budget build, you should probably go with AMD. An R9-270X will allow you to play games at 1080p on Ultra. A GTX 750 Ti is also a good choice if you want to go with NVIDIA.

Definitely. You won't notice a huge difference in gaming between 1600 MHz and 1333 MHZ.

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Unless your PC's unreachable by your ethernet cable, then you should go for a wireless card. For a budget build, you should probably go with AMD. An R9-270X will allow you to play games at 1080p on Ultra. A GTX 750 Ti is also a good choice if you want to go with NVIDIA.

Definitely. You won't notice a huge difference in gaming between 1600 MHz and 1333 MHZ.

I'm stuck between : http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?pid=2037 or http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...I-Express+Card+++1+FREE+GAME+?productId=57845

Which do you think is better?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
There's a humongous difference between the gaming performance of an R9-270X agains an R7-240. Go with the 270X if it's within your budget. What's your processor of choice by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.