Advice Request Can I improve upon these uBlock Origin settings?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, a few years ago I already tried uBlock Origin, but only in default install mode. So the numbers on the icon had the grey background. But I later decided on using the AdGuard browser extension.

Now, this morning a friend told me I should try out the current version of uBlock Origin, and learn how to get more out of the extension. So I installed uBlock Origin and so far I have learned how to set the global rules to block 3rd party iframes and scripts, so uBlock is now in I think Medium mode?. (The number background is now blue.) And I also found out how to unlock those rules for specific websites, by making use of either global or locale rules. (And make sure that I click on save, to keep the rules permanent. :)) These rules were added when I globally blocked 3rd party iframes and scripts?

* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block

So I am looking to find out if there is still something that I can do in uBlock to improve upon it, without breaking websites? I would also like to ask if I did not over did the blocklists I activated at the moment?

uBkock Origin lists using at the moment.jpg

I think the total amount of rules from the filter lists comes down to 151.258. I picked the imported lists from the site below.

It looks like about 98--99% of what I see blocked in my NextDNS logbooks, is from my Smartphone. The rest seems to get blocked now by uBlock Origin? o_O If that is so, then I am impressed.

But to continue, any advice and or Tips are welcome. :)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It sounds like you've made some great improvements to your uBlock Origin settings! Blocking 3rd party iframes and scripts is a good step to enhance your browsing experience. As for the number of blocklists, 151,258 rules may seem excessive, but it ultimately depends on your personal preference and the sites you visit. If you experience any issues with website functionality, you can selectively disable and enable specific lists to find the right balance. It's great to hear that uBlock Origin is effectively blocking unwanted content, and if you're satisfied with its performance, there may not be a need for further adjustments. However, if you'd like to explore more options, you can experiment with custom filters and user rules to fine-tune the extension based on your specific needs.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can anyone tell me how often the lists are updated?
How often does uBlock Origin check and update the lists?
Filter lists are automatically updated according to expiration time defined by:
  • the Diff-Expires directive if list is compatible with differential updates (uBO 1.54.0+) (in "uBlock filters" currently set to around 5 hours),
  • the Expires directive if present in the filter list header,
  • or the updateAfter attribute if found in the list entry in assets.json,
  • or every 5 days by default.
Don't worry if you sometimes notice that some of your lists are marked "⚠️ Out of date" or some of them appear to update every time you open the dashboard. uBO updates filters lists in periodic sessions. In regular browser usage, the first one begins autoUpdateDelayAfterLaunch (105) seconds after uBO (your browser) is started. Lists found to be outdated (for which expiration time passed) are then downloaded in autoUpdateAssetFetchPeriod (15) seconds intervals. After this update session ends, uBO will wait autoUpdatePeriod (1) hour to start updating filters again. Update session will also be triggered by opening the dashboard, that's why you may notice it more often. As you see, there can be periods of time between update sessions, where your lists appear to be outdated, but it's normal update cycle. In irregular browser usage, when your lists expiration time is exceeded more than twice, uBO will trigger "emergency" update, which should give you all your lists updated in below one minute after start.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Wow, thread Necromancy. :D

No, not really, but when I tried out a week or so ago to see if it could replace uBlock Origin, I did notice something. That YouTube channels I follow only showed the bar on top of their page, and one video below that. All other videos that should appear on their page were mysteriously gone. It is very much possible I did something wrong in hindsight, but it was all working again when I switched back to uBlock Origin in Opera One.

I have no idea if using Adguard in Brave would have caused the same issues, because I use its own shields in that one.

Reactions: LennyFox

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Wow, thread Necromancy. :D

No, not really, but when I tried out a week or so ago to see if it could replace uBlock Origin, I did notice something. That YouTube channels I follow only showed the bar on top of their page, and one video below that. All other videos that should appear on their page were mysteriously gone. It is very much possible I did something wrong in hindsight, but it was all working again when I switched back to uBlock Origin in Opera One.

I have no idea if using Adguard in Brave would have caused the same issues, because I use its own shields in that one.
Sorry, I now notice it is an old thread revived :)

I really like Brave on Android and Linux. With my surfing behavior I don't need an adblocker anymore in Brave. The only reason I am using Chrome in Windows is because Chrome always updates first. In Linux and Android the sandboxing is much stronger, so I don;t mind Brave lagging a day or two (although they update their Linux flatpak version always very fast)

Reactions: Morro

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Like @LennyFox said, in Brave no need for an ad blocker. I might add that it's even possible to simulate uBO's hard- and medium mode in Brave.
For medium mode just add a simple custom rule:
|*^$third-party,script,frame
It's not my cup of tea because it needs quite a lot of whitelisting.

Nunzio_77

Level 1
Dec 3, 2023
When the icon turns yellow for a few seconds and then returns to its original color, what does it mean? I only notice it when I open the browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Morro

Spiff

Level 1
Jul 20, 2023
When the icon turns yellow for a few seconds and then returns to its original color, what does it mean? I only notice it when I open the browser.
See:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Toolbar-icon
"When you launch uBO, it needs to load all settings and filter lists in memory to be able to filter properly. When uBO is not yet ready to filter properly, the toolbar icon will be yellowish"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.