SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Go here. Scroll down to Photos and click set this program as default. Does anything change?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

It seems there is a problem with your metro applications or something.

EDIT: Apparently TWINUI shows up as default when registry gets corrupted. At least this is what they are saying here.

What is TWinUI? – Tablet Windows UI

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks @SHvFl
It is difficult for me to translate, I will try later (need more time) or hope that @DardiM can help me;)
View attachment 134227
View attachment 134228
@TheSuperGeek has translated correctly the message box.

Clique-droit sur une des photos, choisis "ouvrir avec" (pas "ouvrir" !) et selectionne ton application habituelle, ou la Visionneuse de photo Windows

=> fais la même chose pour chaque extension

(
right-click on one of the pictures, choose "open with' (and not "open" !) and select your normal app, or Windows Photo Viewer
=> do the same for each different extensions
)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Too many issues with Windows 10, I would start a fresh.

Microsft Support: Recovery Options for Windows 10 - Expand Reset this PC for instructions.

Reset this PC + Keep my files will:
  • Reinstall Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
But you can keep a copy elsewhere
  • offline (local) or online backup of your data
  • move data to secondary internal drive
  • create a new primary partition next to C: drive for data only

Upvote 0
W

Wave

Try right clicking on the file -> Open with -> Choose another app. Then on the window which will appear find "Photos" and check the default box, and let us know if it works.

If that doesn't work either then I would just try what @Spawn said and that should fix the issue for sure..

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
Thanks at all for your help:)
I'm very busy at work so I cannot access to this PC before the week-end.

Special thanks @TheSuperGeek & @DardiM for your translations.
Merci beaucoup;)

Microsft Support: Recovery Options for Windows 10 - Expand Reset this PC for instructions.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
Hello
At this time I'm away from home so I cannot try anything, but I have a question:
Before Windows 10 Pro my PC was Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Not sure if this change what I have to try ?

I think all your windows 10 metro apps are corrupted or something
try opening the png and jpg files with paint, if they open you can try reinstalling windows 10 default metro apps by referring to this site:
How to reinstall all the Windows 10 default apps with PowerShell | Digital Citizen

Thanks @toto
Maybe it is the solution to solve this problem: Need Help - Apps do not launch from start menu and Windows search do not work
Have you ever tried this method ?
I can not wait to try it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello
At this time I'm away from home so I cannot try anything, but I have a question:
Before Windows 10 Pro my PC was Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Not sure if this change what I have to try ?
Reset this PC will keep Windows 10 Pro installed, since this operation is performed by the OS and not a Factory Reset (Partition). I recommend to erase your Windows 8/8.1 Factory drive and replace with Windows 10 Recovery discs.

Reactions: JB007 and SHvFl
Upvote 0

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks @toto
Maybe it is the solution to solve this problem: Need Help - Apps do not launch from start menu and Windows search do not work
Have you ever tried this method ?
I can not wait to try it !
I saw that post that you had problems starting apps from the start menu that's why I thought it would help you to reinstall all the metro apps.
I had this problem earlier but didn't try that app reinstalling thing, I just did a fresh install of windows, I hope that you fix the problem without having to do a fresh install .. :oops:

Upvote 0

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Try this one :)
How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Accounts =>
Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10
To Only Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Current Account
Note
This option will only affect the account that you are currently signed in to.

1. Do step 2 (restore) or step 3 (undo) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Only Your Account

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...restore_windows_photo_viewer_current_user.reg

3. To "Undo" Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Only Your Account
NOTE: This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Undo_Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...restore_windows_photo_viewer_current_user.reg
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. If you selected to undo restore Windows Photo Viewer, then select a different app (ex: Photos) as the default app under Photo viewer in Settings. (see screenshot below step 9)

9. If you selected to restore Windows Photo Viewer, then select "Windows Photo Viewer" as the default app under Photo viewer in Settings.

E: Maybe wrong advice, if you want metro apss working...

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello all,
Thank you very much for your help:)

@Spawn
I never try to reinstall Widows.
Can you tell me if after reinstalling Windows 10, I have to reinstall all my softwares ?

Try right clicking on the file -> Open with -> Choose another app. Then on the window which will appear find "Photos" and check the default box, and let us know if it works.

If that doesn't work either then I would just try what @Spawn said and that should fix the issue for sure..
@Wave
Thanks+++, my png and jpg problem is solved with your method:)
JPG3.PNG
PNG3.PNG

Reset this PC will keep Windows 10 Pro installed, since this operation is performed by the OS and not a Factory Reset (Partition). I recommend to erase your Windows 8/8.1 Factory drive and replace with Windows 10 Recovery discs.

Another question for you @Spawn
What do you mean when you say "I recommend to erase your Windows 8/8.1"? How can I do?

Did you scan with an AV?
I would run Zemana at least, just to be on the safer side...
@Solarquest
I run HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and Avast but not Zemana...
Is it enough?

I saw that post that you had problems starting apps from the start menu that's why I thought it would help you to reinstall all the metro apps.
I had this problem earlier but didn't try that app reinstalling thing, I just did a fresh install of windows, I hope that you fix the problem without having to do a fresh install .. :oops:
@toto
I tried this method but my apps are continuing to be blocked:(

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.