JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
When I try to launch an App from the star menu, there is no response when I click on it.
Apps4.PNG

Also the Windows search prompt don't work:
Apps5.PNG

Can you help me ?
Thanks.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Do you any Anti-Tracking Tools intended towards Windows 10 for Privacy reasons? Have you disabled or unofficially removed Cortana from Windows 10?
Thanks @techienerd1 but I'm not sure to exactly understand your proposition:oops:
Thnaks @Spawn , yes I have disabled Cortana.
I'm not sure what do you mean about "Anti-Tracking Tools" ? I'm using "µBlock Origin" and also "Avast Online Security".

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Not had any issues on Windows 10 since last year, but can try:
How to fix taskbar search not working in Windows 10

Provided link is the Troubleshooter for Windows Apps. Download and Run.

Anti-Tracking Tools such as Spybot Anti-Beacon or O&O ShutUp10, for Windows 10. Sometimes they can cause some issues with Windows 10, but usually should be OK.
Hello @Spawn
Thanks!
Before continuing, I'm wondering that this problem appears when I apply the two methods for solving another issue: Need Help - Windows Update (KB3213986) fails :confused:
You can see the differences between the screen shot before and after (Cortana disppears !) :confused:
a.PNG
b.PNG

What do you think ?
NB: I have tried to restore but without success:(

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
After applying "Use Windows troubleshooter to restore indexing services" I got the following message, "the problem was found but cannot solved automatically", "Incorrect permissions on directories of windows search service":
c.PNG

What is the solution ?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Search will replace Cortana, if it has been disabled.

Re-run with Admin rights - hidden under Advanced

upload_2017-1-22_17-33-7.png

Otherwise check that Windows Search (WSearch) is running under (Win+R) "Services.msc" - without quotes.
I have WSearch disabled, but try Enable + Start yours to see if that sorts the issue.

upload_2017-1-22_17-30-29.png

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

You tried system restore to fix the issue.

But was the prob caused by system restore i.e you tried system restore to undo something & then faced the prob?

I had once tried system restore to undo something & noticed the same prob. I couldn't find any solution. I even tried creating new user account but it too gave the same prob. Finally I reinstalled OS.

Hope you find a solution.

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
You tried system restore to fix the issue.

But was the prob caused by system restore i.e you tried system restore to undo something & then faced the prob?

I had once tried system restore to undo something & noticed the same prob. I couldn't find any solution. I even tried creating new user account but it too gave the same prob. Finally I reinstalled OS.

Hope you find a solution.
Thnnks @Yash Khan
I continue waiting because I hope to don't need an OS reinstall:confused:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

@JB007,

You may try this...FixWin10...fixes mention "Windows Store apps not opening. Re-register all apps" & other fixes...
Under "System Tools"...there's a fix "Reset Windows Search to defaults. This will fix issues related to Windows Search".

Hope your both probs are fixed.

Download page...go through the page...couple things mentioned...
FixWin for Windows 10: Repair problems and issues in a click
List of fixes page
List of fixes available in FixWin 10
Screenshots page
FixWin 10 for Windows 10 - Screenshot Gallery

I tried it...its portable & clean little tool...quite a few fixes...I like it...hope fixes are good & effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
@JB007,

You may try this...FixWin10...fixes mention "Windows Store apps not opening. Re-register all apps" & other fixes...
Under "System Tools"...there's a fix "Reset Windows Search to defaults. This will fix issues related to Windows Search".

Hope your both probs are fixed.

Download page...go through the page...couple things mentioned...
FixWin for Windows 10: Repair problems and issues in a click
List of fixes page
List of fixes available in FixWin 10
Screenshots page
FixWin 10 for Windows 10 - Screenshot Gallery

I tried it...its portable & clean little tool...quite a few fixes...I like it...hope fixes are good & effective.

Thanks @Yash Khan
FixWin 10 tried but did not solve my apps problem.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

Settings: Select All.

Edit: This will also revert anything from the above posts that you may have changed and didn't need to.

Hello @sudo -i
Thanks.
Are you sure this tool is without danger ?

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

OK for me 50/50 is enough to attempt this before doing a fresh install;)
You may try under Shadow Defender or Rollback RX.

SD - If fixes works after system restart then SD is not suitable.

RollbackRx - You may try with Rollback Rx...create a snapshot, try fixes, check restarting system, fixes fixed...you may uninstall RollbackRx, fixes not fixed...revert to created snapshot...& you may uninstall Rollback.

Hope you know RollbackRx & little risks associated to it.
And dont know if fixes will touch Rollback stuffs or MBR...it will be dangerous & system would be not bootable.

Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.