Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
doesn't scare your cats :p
*Laughing*:D
It is a good thing our clean cats are not furry malware (except when our fluffy black one goes to sleep on either of our warm laptop keyboards!:mad:). Neither are they fooled by Scotty's virtual bark which is no threat to them.:cool: Our neighbors' kids, on the other hand, an eight year old boy & his six year old sister, have very :eek:high pitched voices which launch our cats,o_O desperately racing for their very lives, into the house:confused: where they disappear *Poof* :rolleyes: deep into the recesses of our closet!;) :p:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Added for both Windows 7 SP 1 & 8.1:

My reunion with Firefox feels like a happy one, and this familiar browser in it's 64 bit state has my wife saying "..it's faster than before, and works better too!". So far, I agree.:)

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
(@jadequest99) & @Sr. Normal, our wives are each very discerningo_O about what they do not like.:rolleyes: Thank God they like Us!:D Although my wife has never lost faith in the orange "Fox", she would have to be either :eek:unconscious or someplace very far away (in another country) before I could ever install Kaspersky again on (her) Windows 7!:D
The very first posts I'd read which were about browsers brought me here to join Malware Tips! Cyberfox is like another woman (a friend) whom my wife has seen, and yet has neither met nor realized she could become very good friends with.;) Google Chrome is like a potent :eek:MIL (Mother-In-Law) who keeps coming back:confused: stronger than ever!:p:D

Thank you @Jo Man. I think Firefox is somewhat akin to a Jedi Knight Father-In-Law whom has risen up stronger, and is welcome in our home because he brings balance to The Force of the mother-in-law!:p May The "Fox" be with you!:D

Last edited:
I

illumination

@Sr. Normal, our wives are each very discerningo_O about what they do not like.:rolleyes: Thank God they like Us!:D Although my wife has never lost faith in the orange "Fox", she would have to be either :eek:unconscious or someplace very far away (in another country) before I could ever install Kaspersky again on Windows 7!:D
The very first posts I'd read which were about browsers brought me here to join Malware Tips! Cyberfox is like another woman (a friend) whom my wife has seen, and yet has neither met nor realized she could become very good friends with.;) Google Chrome is like a potent :eek:MIL (Mother-In-Law) who keeps coming back:confused: stronger than ever!:p:D

Thank you @Jo Man. I think Firefox is somewhat akin to a Jedi Knight Father-In-Law whom has risen up stronger, and is welcome in our home because he brings balance to The Force of the mother-in-law!:p May The "Fox" be with you!:D
My significant other has had me place the "orange Fox" back on her machine as well "the 64 bit variety". There will be no removal of it now that it is installed, as it is smoother and faster, and her preferred method of surfing.. This of course is accompanied by her beloved FVD Speeddial that she can not live without as well.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My significant other has had me place the "orange Fox" back on her machine as well "the 64 bit variety". There will be no removal of it now that it is installed, as it is smoother and faster, and her preferred method of surfing.. This of course is accompanied by her beloved FVD Speed Dial that she can not live without as well.
@illumination, when an "orange Fox" (as well as FVD Speed Dial) can preserve happiness in the home, the entire Galaxy rejoices!:D

S

Sr. Normal

@Sr. Normal, our wives are each very discerningo_O about what they do not like.:rolleyes: Thank God they like Us!:D Although my wife has never lost faith in the orange "Fox", she would have to be either :eek:unconscious or someplace very far away (in another country) before I could ever install Kaspersky again on (her) Windows 7!:D

I am very smart. :eek:I learned to go wrong. :rolleyes: Thank God I have my wife with me and she picks me up after every fall.;)
I say this because I suffer from the syndrome "and if".:eek: And if I change the firewall again? :confused: And if I change the AV? :confused: And if I install 32 firewalls with 86 AVs together ... the same thing when I go to prepare a suitcase for a weekend: And if it rains ?, and if it's sunny ?. and if it is cloudy? and if ... a truck 12 meters is too small for my luggage for two days:(
My wife love the orange fox too, :)and though I have SlimJet in her computer, she does not use it ever :( . It's like my mother in law (MIL) :confused::confused: with common sense.:eek: No possible relationship. :(
The "Fox" :eek::rolleyes: ;):D:D:p be with you too my friend! :)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
This thread looks beautiful due to the smilies with different color.:p:D

By the way, according to your config, are you using Norton Security (NS) and windows firewall at the same time in your Win 8.1 system?

NS has its own firewall driver, so I am afraid that it may conflict with windows firewall.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I am very smart. :eek:I learned to go wrong. :rolleyes: Thank God I have my wife with me and she picks me up after every fall.;)
I say this because I suffer from the syndrome "and if".:eek: And if I change the firewall again? :confused: And if I change the AV? :confused: And if I install 32 firewalls with 86 AVs together ... the same thing when I go to prepare a suitcase for a weekend: And if it rains ?, and if it's sunny ?. and if it is cloudy? and if ... a truck 12 meters is too small for my luggage for two days:(
My wife love the orange fox too, :)and though I have SlimJet in her computer, she does not use it ever :( . It's like my mother in law (MIL) :confused::confused: with common sense.:eek: No possible relationship. :(
The "Fox" :eek::rolleyes: ;):D:D:p be with you too my friend! :)
Lol!!!:D:D:D ..and *laughing* some more!!!:p:D:D:D
This thread looks beautiful due to the smilies with different color.:p:D

By the way, according to your config, are you using Norton Security (NS) and windows firewall at the same time in your Win 8.1 system?

NS has its own firewall driver, so I am afraid that it may conflict with windows firewall.
Still *smiling* as I catch my breath.:p :)

Alright,:rolleyes: (quiets giggles).

Norton Internet Security has a separate driver..o_O? I shall certainly look further into the possible conflict, & get back to you. Thank you @Online_Sword. It's a surprise, but much appreciated.:)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Cats-4_Owners-2 :

Please check the status of the windows firewall by opening:

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall

I think in the normal case, this panel should display that, windows firewall is being "managed" by Norton. Furthermore, it should be shown that windows firewall has been disabled in both "home and work (private) networks" and "public networks". If not, there might be something wrong with the settings of Norton firewall.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Cats-4_Owners-2 :

Please check the status of the windows firewall by opening:

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall

I think in the normal case, this panel should display that, windows firewall is being "managed" by Norton. Furthermore, it should be shown that windows firewall has been disabled in both "home and work (private) networks" and "public networks". If not, there might be something wrong with the settings of Norton firewall.
Prior to driving in order to pick up my wife, & following my return, I'd searched for an answer.
Then, I found the above instructions you had so helpfully listed. All is as it should be. *sigh of relief* Thank you, @Online_Sword!:):)
Peace of mind is said to be worth more than all the money in the world.
That said, I'll take the 'peace of mind' since the latter isn't likely to come to pass!:p:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1

Added:
  • Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Backup & Recovery compact (Gracias @Sr. Normal)
  • Zemana Antimalware (Thank you @illumination)
Edit: Paragon (I'll confess) has resided on the computer quite some time now, but as Sr. Normal has spoken very highly of this program, it's high time for me to put on reading glasses & use them!:cool: (..actually I'll need to take the glasseso_O off!)

I now grasp what others see in Zemana Antimalware.:)
Real time protection + scanning? I like it!!:D

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Windows 8.1

Added:
  • Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Backup & Recovery compact (Gracias @Sr. Normal)
  • Zemana Antimalware (Thank you @illumination)
Edit: Paragon (I'll confess) has resided on the computer quite some time now, but as Sr. Normal has spoken very highly of this program, it's high time for me to put on reading glasses & use them!:cool: (..actually I'll need to take the glasseso_O off!)

I now grasp what others see in Zemana Antimalware.:)
Real time protection + scanning? I like it!;)
Good to see you are making backups now and Zemana Antimalware is very good isn't it. :D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Good to see you are making backups now and Zemana Antimalware is very good isn't it. :D
Yes, it is.:):) Although, before this addition, my first introduction with Zemana was their Anti-Keylogger which then (when I was a very new member) Jack lead a very generous "Giveaway Team" (alongside Bora Murdar & exterminator20).;)
Zemana Antimalware helps me to feel ...'Taller' with less fear of falling!:p:rolleyes:

Those backups, ..I shall need to read up a bit moreo_O before I can truly take a bow. Your comments, @frogboy, are ever uplifting.:cool: Thank you, my friend, for your positive "frogboy" vote. It counts a lot!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.