Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Great bro, Norton is very reliable and efficient.
Malware hasn't chances with Norton! :) :p
I hope your beautiful cat feels better :)
Thanks for sharing your updates ;)
I'm getting to know Norton while also keeping my eye on our older black boy cat. Like grown men, cats can become like frightened children when in pain.:oops: It was a rough night. My wife slept only fitfully as she'd held him on her lap before he'd finally curled up beside the little orange one (in the avatar) whom he usually :eek:does not like! :rolleyes::p
Thank you, @Jo Man, for your encouraging post.:D

*So that viewing does not require having to go all the way back to page 1...

Updated Windows 8.1 configuration:

Operating System:

Windows 8.1 update 1, 64 bit architecture

All user accounts password-protected

Real-Time Protection:

Windows 8.1 - Norton Security 2015 & Windows Firewall. *Cheers @frogboy! :D

On-demand scanners:

Malwarebytes Antimalware (Free) & Hitman Pro (Free).

Privacy and Optimization:

Portable versions of CCleaner & PrivaZer with Pale Moon browser set to
"Never remember history". LastPass Free binary app installed, & incognito is used in Slimjet browser.

Backup and Recovery:

Files backed up to onedrive cloud.:) Macrium Reflect Workstation Edition 6.0 Build 611 installed. Thank you illumination!:)

Web Browser(s):

SeaMonkey All-In-One application suite. Current stable portable versions of Palemoon x64, Slimjet x86. ..and (of course) Internet Explorer.

Extensions:

SeaMonkey: LastPass, uBlock Origin, & HTTPS EVERYWHERE.

Slimjet x86: LastPass, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, & HTTPS EVERYWHERE.

Pale Moon: LastPass, Adblock Latitude (Adblock Plus fork),
Encrypted Web (HTTPS EVERYWHERE Fork) NoScript,
Self-Destructing Cookies, URL Fixer 4.1, & Theme Font & Size Changer.
Disabled: BluHell Firewall (alternate adblocker)

Plugins: NP LastPass plugin plus latest updates of Adobe Flash player & Google Talk.

Other Software:

Sandboxie (free), CCleaner portable (free), Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Free,
f.lux (it's easy on the eyes!), LastPass program app for I.E.,
& Shadow Defender *Thanks to illumination :) & Starchild 76! :)
HitmanPro.Alert 2.6.5 & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free.
Virtual Box, MC Shield, & Bit Torrent. LastPass binary app (installed).
WinPatrol Free

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows XP SP 3:
Removed:
  1. ToolWiz Time Freeze. We've gratefully utilyzed ToolWiz's "Time Freeze" program for our 'Mature in years' XP ever since it was dropped from support, & essentially discontinued patches for vulnerabilities.;) It has proved to be an exceptional (& free) program after reading it's praises here on MalwareTips!:) I would definitely recommend Time Freeze for anyone needing to add a layer of virtual protection particularly from zero day vulnerabilities which Anti-viruses cannot catch. Similar to Sandboxie, it is free and effective!:D
  2. Malwarebytes Antimalware (free). For some unknown reason this latest upgraded installation has not opened since it's last upgrade.:confused:

Added:
  1. Virus Total Uploader 2.2 I am just beginning to use this exciting binary download, and already find it to be amazing!:):) The ease and confidence which comes with the ability to right click a downloaded file makes up for Comodo's inability (at times) to scan on command. @illumination, thank you for your configurations and advice which set the bar as well as providing go-to examples for a safer more secure approach whilst humbly floating a leaky XP boat carefully, albeit infrequently!:D
  2. Shadow Defender. After downloading this wonderful program which promises to quarterback for 'team XP' in winning fashion following the departure of Time Freeze, I've run into some puzzling difficulties as it begins extracting and then stops. We shall return to Shadow Defender...
  3. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Unable to run, I've decided to enlist MBAM Chameleon (under MBAM tools). *Too be continued*

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows XP SP 3, as I've come to accept (for the time being) letting go of MBAM, strictly from XP, I have..
Added:
  • Firefox browser (version 39!?) to Comodo Virtual Desktop
..and I wonder whether it shall 'disappear' as this is the nature of the "Reset Button" when using virtualization..o_O
Oh, yes. The following confirms this!:rolleyes::p

Re-installed:
  • ToolWiz Time Freeze 2016
As I type these words from Comodo's Virtual Desktop, I now realize how during the process of attempting to replace Time Freeze, I've inadvertently come to update it from version 2014 to 2016!:D
Yes, this XP is a quirky and (sometimes) harsh mistress which should have been put to bed long ago, but as long as it is still afloat I shall resist online purchasing whilst practicing the safe habits of visiting only reputable sites & using the virtual keyboard (along with virtual life preservers!:D) when at all possible.:cool:

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Windows XP SP 3, as I've come to accept (for the time being) letting go of MBAM, strictly from XP, I have..
Added:
  • Firefox browser (version 39!?) to Comodo Virtual Desktop
..and I wonder whether it shall 'disappear' as this is the nature of the "Reset Button" when using virtualization..o_O
Oh, yes. The following confirms this!:rolleyes::p

Re-installed:
  • ToolWiz Time Freeze 2016
As I type these words from Comodo's Virtual Desktop, I now realize how during the process of attempting to replace Time Freeze, I've inadvertently come to updated it from version 2014 to 2016!:D
Yes, this XP is a quirky and (sometimes) harsh mistress which should have been put to bed long ago, but as long as it is still afloat I shall resist online purchasing whilst practicing the safe habits of visiting only reputable sites & using the virtual keyboard (along with virtual life preservers!:D) when at all possible.:cool:
Good changelog, as always bro, Toolwiz Time Freeze is very good and really reliable :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1 :

Added - SeaMonkey internet application suite.

SeaMonkey has been an open source Mozilla (gecko engine) presence as well as a consistently available alternative to the ever popular Firefox Browser which I'd always expected to come back to after hesitations and stalling sent me to an easier to browse and live with Pale Moon x64 browser. Now it feels as if I've come home to SeaMonkey, a very secure feeling privacy emphasized project I've always wondered about. Since I've not actually used a mail app for years, I'd not considered SeaMonkey. That is, until seeing it (always the stand in) on @cruelsister's many worthy youtube security tests, to which I'd thought:

"If cruel sister uses it, it must be something good!":D

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Windows 8.1 :

Added - SeaMonkey internet application suite.

SeaMonkey has been an open source Mozilla (gecko engine) presence as well as a consistently available alternative to the ever popular Firefox Browser which I'd always expected to come back to after hesitations and stalling sent me to an easier to browse and live with Pale Moon x64 browser. Now it feels as if I've come home to SeaMonkey, a very secure feeling privacy emphasized project I've always wondered about. Since I've not actually used a mail app for years, I'd not considered SeaMonkey. That is, until seeing it (always the stand in) on @cruelsister's many worthy youtube security tests, to which I'd thought:

"If cruel sister uses it, it must be something good!":D
A very good changelog, I like it friend :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
A very good changelog, I like it friend :)
Thank you! I'd expected Sea Monkey's installation to be longer and more involved with it's mail/chat apps, but it was surprisingly smooth, & seemed even quicker than the update patches for it's orange Firefox sibling!:p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1 :

Removed - Extension (from SeaMonkey) Bluhel Firewall

Added
- VirusTotal uploader 2.2

SeaMonkey extensions: uBlock Origin & HTTPS EVERYWHERE

Lubuntu 14.04:

Removed - Google Chrome Browser

Since Slimjet has consistently functioned with great speed & responsiveness (on this specific distro) it has come to wear the Chromium sourced crown as default browser!:rolleyes: We continue to sail happily upon the Sea of Android with its red, white, blue, green, & yellow brother, Chrome (with the occasional re-install) on both mobil phone and tablet!:)

Last edited:
I

illumination

Thanks!:) Perhaps you can relate to how easily additions can make their way onto a system, so bringing myself (in reverse) to remove a software as accepted as Chrome is quite a satisfying accomplishment while exchanging some old habits for new!;)
Nice choice on VT uploader :) I also removed Chrome, will remain on edge unless they drag their feet on extension support in which case a 64 bit version of firefox "possibly Cyberfox" will become my default..

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Nice choice on VT uploader :) I also removed Chrome, will remain on edge unless they drag their feet on extension support in which case a 64 bit version of firefox "possibly Cyberfox" will become my default..
Extensions are a big deal with me as well.
I like Cyberfox (a lot) and while Pale Moon narrowly edged out it's fraternal fox twin mainly by a coat tail's threads for it's subtle solidity in feel, Cyberfox gained points for it's compatibility with every extension I use. In the end, PM's visionary direction in development, and it's having provided alternate forks for (2) add-ons I require, for now, grant it the checkered flag.;)
..and now there's also a new x86 SeaMonkey on the block!:rolleyes:

As for the VirusTotal Uploader,o_O I just happen to be following an "illuminated":cool: path in security!:D

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Windows 8.1 :

Removed - Extension (from SeaMonkey) Bluhel Firewall

Added
- VirusTotal uploader 2.2

SeaMonkey extensions: uBlock Origin & HTTPS EVERYWHERE

Lubuntu 14.04:

Removed - Google Chrome Browser

Since Slimjet has consistently functioned with great speed & responsiveness (on this specific distro) it has come to wear the Chromium sourced crown as default browser!:rolleyes: We continue to sail happily upon the Sea of Android with its red, white, blue, green, & yellow brother, Chrome (with the occasional re-install) on both mobil phone and tablet!:)
Obviously good changelog bro :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1 :

Removed - Absolutely nothing!:p:D

Added - WinPatrol (Free) version 33.6.2015.18
*I found it a little hard to believe this free software which I've readily recommended has not been installed on this, our new(er), Windows system.o_O ..that is, until now!:D I do like the added awareness of what is happening when changes are about to take place on the system plus hearing a subtle "..rrrff!!" sound which reminds us:rolleyes: "Scotty's" on guard!;)

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I'm still a little skeptical about everything I've seen on Windows 10 forums regarding "Privacy" issues, sticking to Win 8.1 until
something convinces me its safe to use there's just too many things I have to stand guard on that don't need Microsoft meddeling
into every little detail of my personal life or how I use my computer, but I do agree with your comment ;) Thanks for sharing your update on config. :)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm still a little skeptical about everything I've seen on Windows 10 forums regarding "Privacy" issues, sticking to Win 8.1 until
something convinces me its safe to use there's just too many things I have to stand guard on that don't need Microsoft meddeling
into every little detail of my personal life or how I use my computer, but I do agree with your comment ;) Thanks for sharing your update on config. :)
@jadequest99! It's nice to see you.:)
Skepticism serves as an often under appreciated safety valve. This reminds me somewhat of the safety, or lack of, when driving as well as the image I'd once related to my son many years ago as we gazed miles away from the lights of a highway. It was a view of many individuals (cars & trucks following one another) yet not aware of themselves being amidst so many others as part of a larger sum, ..like a school of fish or flock of birds.
My biggest deterrent has been the many bugs & compatibility problems in 10 (or my laziness:rolleyes:) although I thank you for reminding me we can not be too careful (ever) for protecting our privacy & online habits. I'm with you, and shall wait as Windows 10 becomes a bit more polished and transparent.;)
Plus, I've finally gotten 8.1 to where I like it with it's past bugs which have mainly smoothed out! So, why leave when the water is fine?!o_O :p:D
Thanks @Cats-4_Owners-2 for sharing this great config and ... now I remember the Scotty's -"rrrff".:D;)
I used WinPatrol long ago and I had forgotten it but now I'll consider to re-install it.:)
@Klipsh, I'm so glad you remember WinPatrol too!:p It's so compatible, and since @cruelsister mentioned it on one of her wonderful threads (I'd meant to find the link, but have to run soon) I've renewed my appreciation too!:D
Here's the download link:
WinPatrol Downloads Page

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.