Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
VMWare I found it better for Windows systems over Linux, while VB for Linux.
I have both installed, but VMWare Workstation is rather heavier than VB. While I can easily run 2 game clients + 3 VB VMs, I cant do the same with Workstation and not suffer performance impact on the games. (multi tasking)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
There is no comparison. VMware is the Cadillac of virtual machines, while Virtualbox is like an old Ford Pinto :D
Lol!:p Well, I must say I've always enjoyed the seamlessly smooth ride of a Cadillac.
*Laughing* ..but I can also recall the infamous :eek:Pinto of my good friend, & how it would shake :confused:when driving close to 40, ..& how (even at a very young age) we knew:oops: something just wasn't right.:rolleyes:

Back on topic. First I'd considered a VM with Windows 7, and then I'd thought "8.1 might be interesting..", but now I am thinking a 90 day trial version of Windows 10 could be a nice virtual 1st trip for the VMware Cadillac!:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
VMWare I found it better for Windows systems over Linux, while VB for Linux.
I have both installed, but VMWare Workstation is rather heavier than VB. While I can easily run 2 game clients + 3 VB VMs, I cant do the same with Workstation and not suffer performance impact on the games. (multi tasking)
That's good to know. In fact, I'd resisted jumping the gun by uninstalling Virtual Box as I was wondering about just what you have shared, @Inkurax. Thank you.:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
What are your experiences with Norton? I am thinking of purchasing a Norton license as well.
Hi @Tornado. I like it, and besides being very light, it checks my downloads which is very confidence inspiring although I always upload them to virustotal.com too.;) In order to determine just how you feel about it on your system, I'd say try it first.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Why haven't you upgraded from Norton 2015 to 2016 and have you disabled Norton Firewall?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Why haven't you upgraded from Norton 2015 to 2016 and have you disabled Norton Firewall?
@Tornado,
I believe Norton's Firewall is an enhancement to Windows own very effective firewall rather than it's own separate stand alone firewall. Whereas when using a full replacement alternative such as Privatefirewall, Windows may automatically deactivate. Over one year ago, while using Avast!'s Premier suite, I'd opted not to install it's additional firewall, but now realize my motivation then was aimed at keeping this system as light as possible. In retrospect, I would have used it if I could only get back into The Time Machine!:rolleyes:

I've Norton version 22.5.5.15 installed, and manually perform Live Updates each time I log on. With the exception of updating system & browser security patches, I've worried considerably less about having the latest numbered version software installed.o_O If you have ever noticed compatibility problems with initial Chrome or Windows updates you'll understand why it's sometimes preferable to wait. I shall most likely strive to upgrade Norton sometime in the future or when I move to Windows 10, whichever comes first.;)
Thanks!:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1

Removed: Malwarebytes A.E. (Anti-executable) + HitmanPro.Alert

A decision meant to cut the redundancy of running both MBAE & HitmanPro.Alert (both free versions) together by finally acting upon what I've occasionally heardo_O from others whom are often wiser than yours truly.;) This finally coalesced into change by uninstalling each before I'd...

..Installed: HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7.357 :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've actually done it,:p ..and I owe this period of captured happiness (in a very great way) to all the members & staff whom had faithfully related just how much they have liked (and are still liking) Windows 10. I listened (finally;)) and I understand now.:D

If someone doubts the possibility of an improvement upon an OS you've grown used to and even fond of,

Acer Aspire 64-bit M5 i5-3337U CPU 1.8 GHz 5.82 GB RAM
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-32-jpeg.15760
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-54-jpeg.15761

...consider how the tiles above,:rolleyes: formerly seen upon the screen of our Windows 8.1, represent the large number of bloated apps we'd never used. With the installation of Windows 10, and by letting go of (not keeping any) of the former apps and files, resulted essentially in a clean install which left a computer system that is now amazingly fast and more responsive now than it ever was before.:D

Windows 10.
I whole heartedly recommend it as a viable alternative to buying a new computer!;) :)

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I've actually done it,:p ..and I owe this period of captured happiness (in a very great way) to all the members & staff whom had faithfully related just how much they have liked (and are still liking) Windows 10. I listened (finally;)) and I understand now.:D

If someone doubts the possibility of an improvement upon an OS you've grown used to and even fond of,

Acer Aspire 64-bit M5 i5-3337U CPU 1.8 GHz 5.82 GB RAM
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-32-jpeg.15760
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-54-jpeg.15761

...consider the how the tiles above,:rolleyes: formerly seen upon the screen of our Windows 8.1, represent the large number of bloated apps we'd never used. With the installation of Windows 10, and by letting go of (not keeping any) of the former apps and files, resulted essentially in a clean install which left a computer system that is now amazingly fast and more responsive now than it ever was before.:D

Windows 10.
I whole heartedly recommend it as a viable alternative to buying a new computer!;) :)
Continued happiness is bliss...:)

A

Alkajak

Windows 10.

Someone sticky this post. :D

Been watching your configuration for a while. It is very solid, and now you've perfected it with Windows 10. Welcome to the future.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Smiling*
Thank you for such kind reassuring comments!:):)
Now that @Cats-4_Owners-2 upgraded his laptop's OS to Win 10, I am now officially the lone user of Windows 8.1 in MT. :(:p
@King Mellow, following the upgrade to 8.1 I remember thinking "There! Now that's done I'm glad we won't have to be doing this again for years & years...".o_O Maybe someday history will repeat itself, and when that time comes you'll be the lone user of Windows 10 on MT!;):D
About time, you should know that everything getting out of my mouth is the deepest truth of the universe :p
Thanks @Umbra!
8f07815c4732102785af61ca8fe2363b.jpg

That's Awesome coming from you,
Captain!:p
It is good to see finally made the jump, i do hope you continue to enjoy your new operating system into the future. ;)
Along with your good vibrations,
..whom else could set such a positive example in making the correct "Jump" than you, my frogboy friend?:D
Continued happiness is bliss...:)
Agreed! It dispels disappointment, @jadequest99, in perpetuity!:):)
Someone sticky this post. :D

Been watching your configuration for a while. It is very solid, and now you've perfected it with Windows 10. Welcome to the future.
Thank you, @Alkajak.:):) Your encouragements make the future (presently) not so:eek: scary after all!:p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Good to see the change my friend. I know that you shall enjoy it! :)
Why thank you!:) As you have been a beacon of valuable & experience based knowledge, I did not stumble with a false start this time around.;) Although, my mother would have definitely considered my hesitance in moving to be "..slower than molasses in January!":p:D

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Now that @Cats-4_Owners-2 upgraded his laptop's OS to Win 10, I am now officially the lone user of Windows 8.1 in MT. :(:p

I can tell you that you're not the only one!:eek:
I point blank refuse to upgrade to 10, even going as far as installing a windows 10 update alert silencer (which I found on here) to shut up the annoying nagging to upgrade to w10!!:p

Sheep:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.