Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hey Cats ... !!

A "heads-up" - you're likely to receive a faster initial response if you post your issue on the Emsisoft Internet Security support forum:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/70-emsisoft-internet-security/

Include the following in your support request:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum-7...ormation-to-include-in-your-support-requests/

NOTE: There is limited support on weekends (essentially limited to malware removal).

From my experience it is highly likely that Emsi staff will get it all sorted out... it just requires some patience as it is a very small team.

@hjlbx, thank you for the "head-up" & the links!:):) I shall follow your directions while continuing to have faith in the Emsi staff which shall be realized on the coat tails of encouraging friends like you here on MT!:cool::D

Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hey Cats...!!

You hear anything back from Emsi via e-mail?

I kept an eye out on the support forum...but you haven't shown up. :(

Hi @hjlbx. No, no email response yet.
I shall look toward posting on their forum bright and early Tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, and I'll see you there!;)

Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Added for Windows 7 SP 1:

Installed - Emsisoft Internet Security 9.:D This followed a prompt response (filed Friday, responded to Monday) from Emsisoft Support's email Help Desk.

Removed - Emsisoft Network Filter. As per the instructions provided by Emsisoft which restored functionality for both the firewall and (the reason behind my ablity to now to post with Emsisoft installed & operating) the network connection.;)

Updated in both Windows 7 & 8.1:

Sandboxie Free stable version 4.16

Mozilla Firefox Browser version 36

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 7 SP 1:

Removed - Emsisoft IS 9.
Customer Support at Emsisoft has been outstanding, and this was even as our Windows 7 SP 1 has continued to experience difficulties. Whilst attempting to solve our problems of both functionality and compatibility, I continue to feel great respect for both the staff and products of Emsisoft.
The bottom line: I am neither ready to give up Shadow Defender nor uninstall it for the chance Emsisoft may or may not work, though neither have I given up on Emsisoft.;)

Installed - Kasperski Internet Security 2015. Two days thus far, and everything is working fine.:)

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Windows 7 SP 1:

Removed - Emsisoft IS 9.
Customer Support at Emsisoft has been outstanding, and even though our Windows 7 SP 1 has continued to experience difficulties in attempting to solve problems of both functionality and compatibility, I continue to feel great respect for both the staff and products of Emsisoft.
The bottom line: I am neither ready to give up Shadow Defender nor uninstall it for the chance Emsisoft may or may not work, though neither have I given up on Emsisoft.;)

Installed - Kasperski Internet Security 2015. Two days thus far, and everything is working fine.:)
I would not give up Shadow Defender for anything it is a great software to have. :)

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Windows 7 SP 1:

Removed - Emsisoft IS 9.
Customer Support at Emsisoft has been outstanding, and even though our Windows 7 SP 1 has continued to experience difficulties in attempting to solve problems of both functionality and compatibility, I continue to feel great respect for both the staff and products of Emsisoft.

Good choice.

H

hjlbx

Windows 7 SP 1:

Removed - Emsisoft IS 9.
Customer Support at Emsisoft has been outstanding, and this was even as our Windows 7 SP 1 has continued to experience difficulties, in attempting to solve problems of both functionality and compatibility, I continue to feel great respect for both the staff and products of Emsisoft.

Hello Cats,

I am sorry you are still having an issue with EIS. My only suggestion would be to post what is happening directly on the Emsi support forum. It is extremely likely that Fabian Wosar, Head of Development will connect with you directly on the matter as he is the one who routinely handles forum support requests.

Give up Shadow Defender ??? ... Light your system on fire 1st. :D

EAM/EIS + SD are practically all that I ever need to protect my system. I only reach for MBAM if I'm feeling uncertain ... but Emsi always proves, in the end, that my insecurities are completely my own. :p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Cats,

I am sorry you are still having an issue with EIS. My only suggestion would be to post what is happening directly on the Emsi support forum. It is extremely likely that Fabian Wosar, Head of Development will connect with you directly on the matter as he is the one who routinely handles forum support requests.

Give up Shadow Defender ??? ... Light your system on fire 1st. :D

EAM/EIS + SD are practically all that I ever need to protect my system. I only reach for MBAM if I'm feeling uncertain ... but Emsi always proves, in the end, that my insecurities are completely my own. :p
I'm *Laughing* at the image of my being frustrated enough:mad: with my system to watch it go up in flames!!:cool:;) :D

Thank you @hjlbx for making me smile, and ever offering such encouragement and options to turn to Emsisoft's support forums. Since my wife has developed a fondness for online gaming including the endless Sagas of Candy Crush/Soda & Farm Heroes, our (her) computer has been, for the most part, off limits except when she has stepped out of the 'castle' at times (like now). So, MSE & Shadow Mode have successfully assuaged my own system insecurities for this system which were, in fact, dwarfed by the mere possibility her internet connection could be interrupted/or lost (again) because of my incessant tinkering with "The Queen's lap top" whilst attempting the set up of an effective security suite which has thus presently allowed the 'King' of Cats to keep his :eek:head!;) :p:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Added PrivaZer Portable version to external USB flash drive, and am test cleaning both Windows 7 SP1 & 8.1 systems. Thank you to @exterminator20 & @Sr. Normal, because of you I'm using it & liking it too!:D

Edit: I downloaded (for the first time) from MajorGeeks and think they're GREAT!!:):) This was because a little frog rather than a bird told me ..through his numerous helpful posts!
That's you, @frogboy!:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 7 SP 1:

Removed - Kaspersky IS 2015 at end of trial.
*Right <clicking> on Kaspersky symbol & 'stopping' insured a smooth and complete un-install. Thank you @illumination!:)

Installed - ESET Smart Security 8.
After one day my wife is delighted,:):) and thanked me for returning her computer back to the way it used to be with faster start ups & more responsive performance!:D

Removed - Cyberfox x64 portable version which contained a 'corrupt file':oops: in .exe, and each time Cyberfox was opened an exception through Avast! was required twice.:confused:

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1:

Removed - Opera Browser
Opera could no longer open completely except when opened in Sandboxie. A re-install may possibly remedy this, but in the meantime Firefox shall (thankfully) be reinstated as this system's current starting quarterback browser!:D

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Cats! Did you not like Kaspersky, it's been my main player for 3-4yrs, never had a single infection (oh, now I probably will!) I have only tried ESET once, but found their/it's lack of features cumbersome. But reading several articles they believe that is because we all now want the file shredder and software updater i.e., Kaspersky Total Security. We have Windows 7 at work, apparently they tell us the Government will let the hospital have Windows 8 in 4-5yrs :( Hope you are well, Tony :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Tony Cole, and thank you for popping by with much appreciated insight & comments!:):) I'm quite well, though I'd like to breathe more often (& joyously) like a fine table wine.:cool:
As for Kaspersky IS, I'd felt very hopeful (even in the wake of ESET NOD 32's expiration) about either of two highly praised security suites (Emsisoft or *Kaspersky) and was encouraged reading posts along with your personal *accolades here on MT. I'd anticipated sharing in both my wife's pleasure and ease whilst switching protections.:rolleyes: Well, she did try her best to be a good sport, although the (wife's) heart wants what the heart wants!:p As is often mentioned in experienced advisory posts, computers can experience different results even when used by (seemingly) the same Windows systems; and results can mysteriously:confused: vary.;) I shall remain open to Kaspersky when the time comes to replace Avast!, and maybe by the time the funding is approved, your hospital may receive Windows 10 instead!:D

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm unsure about Windows 10, I have NHS software on my laptop that would never run, so I am going to stick with Windows 8.1. Not too sure whether Microsoft will allow that, or force you to upgrade. You certainly have a good bunch of antiviruses there, avast! ESET and Kaspersky are all good. A lot do find it slows their computers down, and takes longer to boot-up. Glad you and your wife are well, Tony :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1:

Added - An additional, more secure, non-Administrator Account.

I am loving the feeling of nearly having a new computer even though it's the same old one.:p:D
Why didn't I do this long ago?:confused: Answer: Because I didn't wish to enter another e-mail, birthday, and other personal information. My work around: I kept it fun, secure, and not all about me!:) *Attention any hackers out there: Pay no attention to my words!

I'd done this before with Window 7 SP 1, though (somehow) it's become 'my' user acct.:oops: rather than my wife's. She uses her main Admin. Acct. for games (Candy Crush) & e-mail, but no downloads; and I've wondered whether, even if she uses Shadow Defender/or Sandboxie when not in Shadow Mode, does a non-click happy user as she run much risk of infection?o_O

I'm unsure about Windows 10, I have NHS software on my laptop that would never run, so I am going to stick with Windows 8.1. Not too sure whether Microsoft will allow that, or force you to upgrade. You certainly have a good bunch of antiviruses there, avast! ESET and Kaspersky are all good. A lot do find it slows their computers down, and takes longer to boot-up. Glad you and your wife are well, Tony :)
Cheers, Tony!:):)
Microsoft, like an some attractive American cars (I haven't driven yet) like our bargain Taiwanese manufactured Acer here which I drive all the time, have clockwork internals of similar components labeled Microsoft/Intel (inside) among others.:cool:
It hadn't occurred to me that your NHS's software might face compatibility issues with the newer (yet to be proven) Windows OS 10, and I'm certain we've each experienced instances when newer does not necessarily equate to 'working':eek: at all, let alone better, haven't we?o_O ...though wouldn't it be Grand to find Windows 10 to be, in fact, closer to a Windows 8.2 that is only donning Windows 10's clothing?:confused: :D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Smiling* @Tony Cole, your avatar fits quite well as a visual illustration to your narrative, lol!!:D

PS How dare they laugh :mad:?!!;):p
*Oops!:oops: How dare 'I' laugh. "Hypocritical much"??:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows :eek:XP SP 3 (It's Alive!!).

Added - Comodo Internet Security 8 (free). I omitted Chromodo Browser & Geek Buddy (online assistance) from installation.:);)

o_O? Yes. I am as surprised as all of you!:rolleyes::p
AV set at 'Stateful', Firewall - 'Safe Mode', Auto Sandbox - 'Enabled', HIPS - 'Training Mode', and Virus Scope - 'Enabled'.
"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!":D

Removed - Avira Free, Privatefirewall (A worthy Firewall!), Hitman Pro ("He'll be back!"), and Recuva.
Start ups reflect these changes, and are noticeably quicker!:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.