Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I can tell you that you're not the only one!:eek:
I point blank refuse to upgrade to 10, even going as far as installing a windows 10 update alert silencer (which I found on here) to shut up the annoying nagging to upgrade to w10!!:p

Sheep:cool:
My wife would happily *clink* pints with you as she has also felt quite annoyed:mad: with those nagging alerts:confused: appearing upon her lap top too!:rolleyes: Ironically, I've not seen one to this day.o_O
Welcome to Windows 10 where you can expect a lot of mysterious changes out there, issues may come up to your system but assurance it can be fix through cumulative updates and upgrade your graphics drivers. ;)
Thank you, @jamescv7!
I was, for a time, fearfully hesitant of :eek:the change; but as of now I am embracing a mysterious-ness:cool: that works!:D

• Deactivated Opera's native adblocking.
  • Added Adguard extension.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Windows 8.1

Removed: Malwarebytes A.E. (Anti-executable) + HitmanPro.Alert

A decision meant to cut the redundancy of running both MBAE & HitmanPro.Alert (both free versions) together by finally acting upon what I've occasionally heardo_O from others whom are often wiser than yours truly.;) This finally coalesced into change by uninstalling each before I'd...

..Installed: HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7.357 :)
Wow! I also noticed a significant difference in performance when I uninstalled the highly popular and recommended second opinion Anit-Malware programs, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro (not to be confused with HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7.357 ) both which eat away at valuable system resources, so glad to hear your satisfied without having these installed and continued success with Windows 10...BTW, I also decided after a long battle whether to keep Windows 8.1 and not upgrade but I been reading so many forums with positive reactions , it seems Microsoft have been consistent in fixing and tweaking out the kinks in the earlier versions and I can say confidently that Windows 10 has been a nice addition. So congrats and thanks for keeping us informed. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Wow! I also noticed a significant difference in performance when I uninstalled the highly popular and recommended second opinion Anit-Malware programs, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro (not to be confused with HitmanPro.Alert 3.1.7.357 ) both which eat away at valuable system resources, so glad to hear your satisfied without having these installed and continued success with Windows 10...BTW, I also decided after a long battle whether to keep Windows 8.1 and not upgrade but I been reading so many forums with positive reactions , it seems Microsoft have been consistent in fixing and tweaking out the kinks in the earlier versions and I can say confidently that Windows 10 has been a nice addition. So congrats and thanks for keeping us informed. ;)
I'm gladdened to hear you are confidently pleased with Windows 10 too. Congratulations to you too, jadequest99!:)
As with the previous (3) Windows OSs, I'd found it hard to let go of the (2) first on demand scanners I'd ever learned of. Malwarebytes Antimalware, for some inexplicable reason I've still not discovered, MBAM used a great deal of CPU resources on Windows 8.1, but this didn't happpen on 7.o_O I can't recall how it behaved on XP which was ever through the roof on it's resources!:p

Welcome to the light side. Windows 10, in spite of Microsoft's questionable process of getting people to switch, is amazing in every way. It even still maintains that Windows 7 feel that Windows 8 lacked, it just has more functionality.
Thanks, O revered Obi @Noxx Kenobi!:D Yes, it's similar to how Darth @Umbra had a questionable process trying to get Luke to switch too... to the :eek:Dark side!:cool:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Installed - VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.1 (latest version) & replaced Zemana Antimalware Free with Zemana Antimalware Premium.:)

I thought I'd save a step by using the same installer for VMware I'd used when on Windows 8.1, a crime of laziness I've committed with browser installation (Firefox, I think) updating it once it was installed ;)
..but VMware kept me honest by alerting me "You cannot downgrade, & must install the current version".:confused:
Edit: Additionally, VMware was intuitive which surprised me since I'd <clicked> the trial route thinking I'd enter the license key later.:rolleyes: I think it recognized my computero_O which further surprised me!:D

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I've noticed more and more pc, laptop users leaning towards Zemana Antimalware
rather than Malwarebytes / Hitman Pro products whether the free or premium versions...I remember when Zemana was in its beta
stages and obviously some kinks & tweaking needed resolved. I've found using any of them uses resource space extensively, but
for the extra protection its way worth it. I recommend any of them they are all equally have pro's & con's so good to hear you've really
expanded your system on a higher scale, :D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've noticed more and more pc, laptop users leaning towards Zemana Antimalware
rather than Malwarebytes / Hitman Pro products whether the free or premium versions...I remember when Zemana was in its beta
stages and obviously some kinks & tweaking needed resolved. I've found using any of them uses resource space extensively, but
for the extra protection its way worth it. I recommend any of them they are all equally have pro's & con's so good to hear you've really
expanded your system on a higher scale, :D
@jadequest99, I agree; and thank you for the words of encouragement!:):) Zemana Antimalware has proven itself compatible, quick scanning, and certainly among the top "go-to" anti-malware software available. As you'd mentioned here (& specifically about MBAM on a previous post)
they utilize resources. Using 8.1 this was more evident, but on 10 this hasn't been the case (*crosses fingers* while gazing Heavenward:rolleyes:).

I'm enjoying this newfound functionality with satisfaction as I'm re-visiting that familiar name which sounds so much like this community of ours!:D

Installed - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) 2.2.1.1043

On a side note I'll speak of my wife's Windows 7 SP 1, for which I was somewhat hesitant to upgrade to Malwarebytes latest version simply because the previous one worked so well; & to coin the phrase, "If it wasn't broken, why fix it?".:confused: Like Windows 10 itself, I have been surprised again in a very pleased way, but this time with MBAM!;):D

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
@jadequest99, I agree; and thank you for the words of encouragement!:):) Zemana Antimalware has proven itself compatible, quick scanning, and certainly among the top "go-to" anti-malware software available. As you'd mentioned here (& specifically about MBAM on a previous post)
they utilize resources. Using 8.1 this was more evident, but on 10 this hasn't been the case (*crosses fingers* while gazing Heavenward:rolleyes:).

I'm enjoying this newfound functionality with satisfaction as I'm re-visiting that familiar name which sounds so much like this community of ours!:D

Installed - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) 2.2.1.1043

On a side note I'll speak of my wife's Windows 7 SP 1, for which I was somewhat hesitant to upgrade to Malwarebytes latest version simply because the previous one worked so well; & to coin the phrase, "If it wasn't broken, why fix it?".:confused: Like Windows 10 itself, I have been surprised again in a very pleased way, but this time with MBAM!;):D
Wow, thanks for the update, also just 1 more note regarding another topic, there's been many articles on "Waterfox" lately, not to be confused with Cyberfox , Firefox Nightly, Pale Moon, Light which in your opinion do you consider the safest ,fastest and light? I'm just asking because awhile back you suggested Cyberfox and there's been so many clones ever since?? Confusing actually..:oops: But in either case thanks for your comments always a pleasure.:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Wow, thanks for the update, also just 1 more note regarding another topic, there's been many articles on "Waterfox" lately, not to be confused with Cyberfox , Firefox Nightly, Pale Moon, Light which in your opinion do you consider the safest ,fastest and light? I'm just asking because awhile back you suggested Cyberfox and there's been so many clones ever since?? Confusing actually..:oops: But in either case thanks for your comments always a pleasure.:)
Having so many choices can be confusing.:confused: The landscape of software is ever changing, so the most important browser feature to seek out should be the practice of updating security patches frequently. I am typing this from the latest 64 bit Palemoon-portable version. Over a year ago, I'd found Palemoon to be nearly identical to Cyberfox in it's performance (on 8.1) which may no longer be an accurate comparison now. Since coming to 10, I've found Palemoon is currently not opening in Sandboxie,:oops: but Shadow Defender is presently guarding us instead. I would like to try Waterfox, it claims to not add additional features or changes. If you like Firefox, Nightly is said to be less stable/secure, so Firefox beta might be a more balanced choice.
Most recently I've been browsing with, & like, the simplicity of SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey

They all (all the Firefox-like browsers) use the same open source Gecko engine, although Palemoon is breaking away by developing it's Goanna (rendering, I think..) engine.

I'd encourage you to try them all (well, most of all of them..) because the browser climate literally changes like our actual climate, and finding what works best on your system is both free, and certainly worth the effort!:D

PS If you're experiencing slower functions, you can try refreshing your browser which clears everything out including extensions.:)
Edit: Also syncing saves lots of time & effort when setting up house again with themes & extensions.

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Having so many choices can be confusing.:confused: The landscape of software is ever changing, so the most important browser feature to seek out should be the practice of updating security patches frequently. I am typing this from the latest 64 bit Palemoon-portable version. Over a year ago, I'd found Palemoon to be nearly identical to Cyberfox in it's performance (on 8.1) which may no longer be an accurate comparison now. Since coming to 10, I've found Palemoon is currently not opening in Sandboxie,:oops: but Shadow Defender is presently guarding us instead. I would like to try Waterfox, it claims to not add additional features or changes. If you like Firefox, Nightly is said to be less stable/secure, so Firefox beta might be a more balanced choice.
Most recently I've been browsing with, & like, the simplicity of SeaMonkey.
SeaMonkey
They all use the same open source Gecko engine, although Palemoon is breaking away by developing it's Goanna rendering (I think) engine.

I'd encourage you to try them all (well, most of all of them..) because the browser climate literally changes like our actual climate, and finding what works best on your system is both free, and certainly worth the effort!:D

PS If you're experience slower functions, you can try refreshing your browser which clears everything out including extensions.:)
Just FYI here's some browser's I've never heard of, wasn't aware of the vast amount of web browser's out there to try out if interested.;) link: List of Alternative Browsers for Windows 10 / 8 / 7

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, @jadequest99!:) There is no 'bother' incurred when we're chatting about browsers which is very relevant to the possibility I can improve upon the performance & security of an already exciting new configuration, ..well, there's some of the old mixed with lots of the new here!!:D
Btw, in addition to looking forward to taking Waterfox for a test drive, I may revisit Cyberfox which our fellow member, frogboy, has pointed out is able to block Web RTC.
Here's a brief Q & A explanation which answered some of my own questions:
  • "WebRTC relies on JavaScript that can leak your actual IP address even from behind your VPN.

The members involved in the peer-to-peer communication using this protocol can not see each other's IP but there are two cases where this is possible: you as the owner of the web application, and an attacker who compromises your website."
    Source: Webrtc privacy issues?

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Thank you, @jadequest99!:) There is no 'bother' incurred when we're chatting about browsers which is very relevant to the possibility I can improve upon the performance & security of an already exciting new configuration, ..well, there's some of the old mixed with lots of the new here!!:D
Btw, in addition to looking forward to taking Waterfox for a test drive, I may revisit Cyberfox which our fellow member, frogboy, has pointed out is able to block Web RTC.
Here's a brief Q & A explanation which answered some of my own questions:
  • "WebRTC relies on JavaScript that can leak your actual IP address even from behind your VPN.

The members involved in the peer-to-peer communication using this protocol can not see each other's IP but there are two cases where this is possible: you as te owner of the web application, and an attacker who compromises your website."
    Source: https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/97891/webrtc-privacy-issues
Very Good & as always informative...:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Installed - Palemoon 64 bit & Firefox 64 bit Browsers

Removed - Norton Internet Security (all good suites eventually expire..)

Added - Emsisoft Internet Security (trial)

Thank you @frogboy, my friend,:):) for the opportunity to experience possibly the finest traditional Antivirus/Firewall Suite currently on the market. It's proven to be the best I've tried thus far;:cool: and with an outstanding value for protecting 5 devices, it's quite possible we may return to Norton before too long!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Norton Internet Security? Really...??:eek:
Yes!;) @jadequest99, I wouldn't be surprised if you've the dim yet nagging memory & unpleasant impressions (like myself) that delegate Norton, alongside McAffee, as the long suffered;) "pre-installed" AV solutions many still associate with the annoyance:mad: & distress:confused: connected with having to completely uninstall them from our systems to set things right.:oops:
Norton, now, is happily (& fortunately for all whom use it) among the lightest and most effective traditional Security Suites available for home & Enterprise (business) use. Although I am not involved in our site's malware testing,o_O I've taken in knowledge & the good advice from our fellow vanguard members whom play with malware "fire" that Norton's Firewall is among the most effective at preventing malicious outbound connections, stopping them before they can be executed.
It is a different world, my friend, and Symantec's Norton I.S. is a far better than it was before solution.:)

Now, I've only to get more acquainted with the Anti-executable solutions such as AppGuard to be able to "lock down the system"!:cool: :D
..but, in the meantime, I can slip into Shadow Defender's "Shadow Mode" to be safe while feeling slightly smarter:rolleyes: than I really am.:p

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.