Advice Request CCleaner (Android) as Spyware

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

EricaR

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 4, 2020
I was finding a android app to keep my Android clean and fast. I found CCleaner in Google play store. If some one is using CCleaner already now please
answer my questions.

Can CCleaner remove malware and viruses when cleaning the Android?
Can we retrieve the deleted data if needed again?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No. CCleaner (Piriform) is owned by Avast.

You don't need an app cleaner for Android, they mostly delete cached data, which can be done by the OS. Deleting won't make the phone faster.

What version of Android are you using?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Can CCleaner remove malware and viruses when cleaning the Android?
Can we retrieve the deleted data if needed again?
No it only deletes junk such as cache files. Once it delete files, they can not be easily recovered. But as it only cleans unneeded junk, you should never need to recover anything. Unless your Android devices are regularly running low on storage space, there's probably not much need to use this or any of the countless other cleaners available in the Play Store. If storage space is an issue, than you can expand the storage with a Micro SD card if your device has a slot for one.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You don't need such apps. Not on desktop and not on Android.
On Android such apps are even less powerful as they don't have permission to do real cleaning.

Just uninstall unused apps and keep your system up2date.

if your Android get compromised, then use the Android internal reset feature or if you have the knowledge and option: flash the stock image.

EricaR

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 4, 2020
No. CCleaner (Piriform) is owned by Avast.

You don't need an app cleaner for Android, they mostly delete cached data, which can be done by the OS. Deleting won't make the phone faster.

What version of Android are you using?

It's Android 9 on Samsung Galaxy A 10.. I frequently connect it to my office PC for charging purpose during office time. So, my device is always in danger. Also, I felt since several days my device is sluggish and low in performance. That's why I needed ideal solution..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why would it be in danger? Change the USB Preferences to No data transfer, or use a wall plug/USB.

Android Phones should be restarted once a week according to some manufacturers.

Else, factory reset your device after a proper backup.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

It's Android 9 on Samsung Galaxy A 10.. I frequently connect it to my office PC for charging purpose during office time. So, my device is always in danger. Also, I felt since several days my device is sluggish and low in performance. That's why I needed ideal solution..
@Spawn has given you best advice. But if you use your mobile to transfer files on your office PC. You should consider manual scanning your device with any good anti malware.
As you are from India and if you are using Jio you get JioSecurity with your subscription. JioSecurity is nothing but re-branded version of Norton Mobile Security. Airtel also offers Norton Mobile Security with some of its subscription. JioSecurity also have junk cleaner if you really interested in CCleaner and it is better than CCleaner.
On my Galaxy A50, Device Care cleans cache at midnight daily. It also recommends to restart device daily which is again what @Spawn told.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Off-topic

Is there a way to block the ads on any apps/games on Android? i would like to know that
. using adb dump all activities and disable using pm disable command below

Code:
./adb shell pm disable com.example.com.testapp/.TestActivity
Replace it with the app name and ad activity
Code:
adb shell dumpsys package | grep -i " + (enter package name)  + " |grep Activity

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The CCleaner Android app is full of ads. A better alternative would be: SD Maid - System Cleaning Tool - Apps on Google Play
I used to use the paid version of SD Maid (purchased using Google Play credit from Google Opinion Awards surveys).

I don't use any cleaner apps now as I don't see a need for it.
I purchased SD Maid Pro too. However, while it was once an excellent cleaner, these days there are some cleaners which find much more junk. At the moment, I also don't use any third party cleaning apps. i just use my phone's included cleaning app, as it prompts me from time to time to run it.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.