CCleaner forcefully installed Avast

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Initially, when I tried to update CCleaner, it showed that persistent Avast banner on the installer. I wasn't able to click install on customize installation. Then, I closed and ran the installer again and this time I was able to untick Avast and complete the installation. But despite I have unticked Avast, it silently got installed in the background. I wouldn't have noticed if windows defender security center haven't shown the warning. Did anyone run into the same issue?
CCleaner .PNG
windows defender.png

Attachments

• CCleaner .PNG
    CCleaner .PNG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,230
  • windows defender.png
    windows defender.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 453
  • windows defender.png
    windows defender.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 420
  • CCleaner .PNG
    CCleaner .PNG
    119.8 KB · Views: 454
D

Deleted member 65228

I've just installed CCleaner on a Virtual Machine, no sign of Avast. There wasn't even an option to install it on the installer, also v5.37 setup. Acquired from the official website, the normal download link for the Free version.

Maybe they have pushed out a different installer based on region/location or the version of CCleaner (e.g. Free, Professional,..)?

Upvote 0

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Yep. I like to think I have gotten pretty good at not installing anything extra when installing something. But sure enough, I had Avast on my ASUS notebook after updating to a new version of CCleaner yesterday. I saw the posts in the Piriform Forum, so I don't feel too bad about it. Plus I like Avast, so? lol

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

LOL the original name for CCleaner was Crap Cleaner. They decided to take the Rap out.

CCleaner /ˈsiːkliːnər/ (formerly Crap Cleaner),[6] developed by Piriform,

Yup. As I mentioned, 6 months after it came out, I think it was 2004? I was negotiating to buy it.. Anyway, it was surely Crap Cleaner back then.

Anything Avast touches turns to trash IMO. Like Malwarebytes and their killing JRT and other stuff. I wouldn't touch Ccleaner after that full update channel and development compromise, but especially now that Avast has their mittens in it. Nasty!

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I've just installed CCleaner on a Virtual Machine, no sign of Avast. There wasn't even an option to install it on the installer, also v5.37 setup. Acquired from the official website, the normal download link for the Free version.

Maybe they have pushed out a different installer based on region/location or the version of CCleaner (e.g. Free, Professional,..)?
I installed just to see is this is happening in my region, nada, not there for me either. I think your right though.
@samit
Download this and remove Ccleaner: Privacy Eraser: 1-click browsing history deletion, PC optimization & more

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Again? :mad: I got the portable versions back when CC was allowed on here; it's worth waiting a week after the initial release for that.

Latest Update Avast on Desktop

I use the portable version the most. Hardly ever do I use the actual installer on my computer. Stick with the portable!

Wise Care 365 Pro is very nice and often is given away through promotions. I have been using this much more than CCleaner now.

Upvote 0

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use the portable version the most. Hardly ever do I use the actual installer on my computer. Stick with the portable!

Wise Care 365 Pro is very nice and often is given away through promotions. I have been using this much more than CCleaner now.
I use portable CCleaner too! My main cleaner is Wise Disk Cleaner, CCleaner is secondary. Wise Cleaner cleans more than CCleaner.

Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I just installed CCleaner. The avast offer was there but I just unticked it and everything was fine.
Same here.
But I know how this could happen: the Avast offer doesn't show up immediately after you start the installer and it's opt-in by default so when you click "next" to fast then you'll end up with crap AV installed in your system.

Upvote 0

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011

I downloaded the setup file from the official website.
It even managed to disable Kaspersky Free or did you manually do that?
It got disabled after Avast installed silently in the background.
Same here.
But I know how this could happen: the Avast offer doesn't show up immediately after you start the installer and it's opt-in by default so when you click "next" to fast then you'll end up with crap AV installed in your system.
I did untick Avast but it still got installed silently in the background that's what I found so weird.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.