New Update CCleaner Updates thread

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2023
There has been an announcement at the top of their forum, although I don't see it any more:

CCleaner has been available as a free download since its launch in 2004 and has become one of the top choices for comprehensive PC optimization. As part of our pursuit to maintain product quality and innovation, we're exploring new avenues to sustainably support our development efforts. This includes potential changes to certain features, such as Custom Clean. By regularly reviewing the CCleaner feature set we can ensure the continued evolution of CCleaner and bring even greater value to our customers.

If they pursue with this 'evolution', I won't be updating any more.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Ink

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
CCleaner v6.25.11093 (19th June 2024)
With CCleaner v6.25, we have expanded the Driver Updater and Software Updater databases to include additional driver versions and apps. We also fixed several bugs and have enhanced CCleaner’s user interface and performance.

Taking the hassle out of PC maintenance
  • The Driver Updater database has now been expanded to contain more than 90 million drivers to help maintain optimal PC performance.
  • You are now able to cancel the downloading of driver updates currently in progress.
  • We’ve updated the Software Updater database to the latest version so that it includes additional apps and their updates.
Fixing bugs and other improvements
  • We fixed an issue that could have caused CCleaner to interrupt the uploading of larger files to Google Drive when running a cleanup.
  • We resolved an issue where, in certain cases, the number of drivers to update displayed on the Driver Updater icon was incorrect.
  • The “Scan Now” button on the Health Status screen now correctly triggers the Health Check scan.
  • By enabling remote log upload in the CCleaner Support Tool in the case of issues, we are now able to collect larger crash dumps that cannot be sent by email.
  • The Support Tool is now saved to a new, more suitable location.
  • We have made improvements to boost CCleaner performance and stability.

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2023
Build 6.25 Free cannot clean using Custom Clean unless you pay

With outbound traffic of CCleaner blocked, no paywall for Custom Clean. :)
Also the registry tab is still in the same place as before version 24.

Since v24 there seems to happen micro patching in the background when CCleaner has internet access..
CCleaner 6.24.11060 Portable - Registry tab hasn't moved
When I allowed ccleaner64.exe to connect to the internet, a large amount of string values was added to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner
One of those string values switched the registry editor and software updater. I didn't note which string value it was.
However, since I KNOW how to remove software updater and not registery editor, I blocked ccleaner64.exe with an oubound firewall rule. Then, I deleted the Piriform key. When reopening ccleaner64.exe, it reversed registry and software updater. I was then able to add back (Cfg)SoftwareUpdater with 0 value and software updater is now gone again.
Forget this, for now on, I'm just using winapp2.ini and winapptool to update ccleaner and that's it.
See also the other long thread.
The endpoint that delivers it to the clients seems to be shepherd.ff.avast.com currently.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.