Chrome Extension Manifest V3 May Break uBlock Origin Content Blocker

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Wouldn't be the first time Google ignores the majorly of developers and do whatever the hell they want. Google is pretty much in control of the Web APIs, another reason I don't support Microsoft move to Chromium.

We need more browsers and competition outside the Chromium Base.
I always waited for EdgeHTML to do some big movement ...and then it was movement to chromium :emoji_sob:

I liked windows mobile alot, they abandoned it. And now they abandone edgeHTML, the chromium version is just another clone, and in worst case its brave browser before allowing webstore extensions; so limited

Theres chrome, firefox and palemoon
And rest are just forks

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I always waited for EdgeHTML to do some big movement ...and then it was movement to chromium :emoji_sob:

I liked windows mobile alot, they abandoned it. And now they abandone edgeHTML, the chromium version is just another clone, and in worst case its brave browser before allowing webstore extensions; so limited

Theres chrome, firefox and palemoon
And rest are just forks

Sad too to see Windows Mobile gone and Edge. We’re close to having a browser monopoly again

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
Another alternative is Brave, which is Chromium based. If they remain true to their principles they will accommodate users. And their long term goal is to have there own Brave Store. Support Brave. I use the Beta and it is quite good.(y)

Agreed. I have started using it too. uMatrix works as it should here and from what I read on their Reddit page, even if google bring in this silly change, they could just cut it out of the Brave code.

I would have looked towards Firefox, but given what they are saying, it'd be doubtful. Quite surprising considering how they were all over Microsoft's butt when they said they would use chromium. They said this would be handing over more control to Google, which is wrong, according to them. Yet they seem to be bending over also.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I would not give up hope on Edge to soon. The are replacing HTMLedge by Blink, so only the rendering engine not their browser.

They need compelling reasons for people to switch to Edge. Speed is one, Safety and may be the play the no-ad card (after all M$ missed the free-webvertising revolution, so blocking Ads does not hurt them as much as Google or Facebook does. Also blocking third-party ads & trackers on average requires 5 to 10 percent less traffic, making Edge faster .

1548425717951.png

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would not give up hope on Edge to soon. The are replacing HTMLedge by Blink, so only the rendering engine not their browser.

They need compelling reasons for people to switch to Edge. Speed is one, Safety and may be the play the no-ad card (after all M$ missed the free-webvertising revolution, so blocking Ads does not hurt them as much as Google or Facebook does. Also blocking third-party ads & trackers on average requires 5 to 10 percent less traffic, making Edge faster .

View attachment 207278
Love the pic, hope they release beta soon

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

View attachment 207278

Agreed! I have a feeling they may not go along with this proposed V3 change, or they may use a combination (as Google itself has hinted at). Edge has always been my default browser since I chucked Google years ago, so I welcome this change. I find it the most pleasing browser in terms of visual simplicity and good looks. Now I'm using Brave as much as Edge because I like them both. I have a feeling that Brave, Edge and maybe Opera will find there own way amidst the Google changes. Hang in there @Moonhorse! (y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Agreed! I have a feeling they may not go along with this proposed V3 change, or they may use a combination (as Google itself has hinted at). Edge has always been my default browser since I chucked Google years ago, so I welcome this change. I find it the most pleasing browser in terms of visual simplicity and good looks. Now I'm using Brave as much as Edge because I like them both. I have a feeling that Brave, Edge and maybe Opera will find there own way amidst the Google changes. Hang in there @Moonhorse! (y)
about brave

Brave built-in adblocker & script blocking are in baby steps and far away from being near to ublock capability

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
about brave

Brave built-in adblocker & script blocking are in baby steps and far away from being near to ublock capability

That's OK since you can use still uBO, etc. Yes, uBO is unique and powerful. There is no indication yet that these browsers will follow G's lead without adapting. I still use Nano in Brave but use its other features. This big change is a cause for concern but nothing is certain yet, and it's still in process! And there is a lot of pushback from other software companies, devs, etc. against Google on this.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You can always turn off Javascript in Chrome settings. That blocks most adverts but also breaks some stuff, as well.
The v3 update is made because it just improves chrome speed, and as long you dont see harmful ads i think its fine. And what we actually need is just script blocking

Javascript will make sites to break, its very unhandy unless you disable it manually everytime you hit trusted site

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
The v3 update is made because it just improves chrome speed, and as long you dont see harmful ads i think its fine. And what we actually need is just script blocking

Javascript will make sites to break, its very unhandy unless you disable it manually everytime you hit trusted site
I don't want to see any adverts.
I

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
On my Asus Transformer, I decided to switch to Edge completely. At the Chrome uninstall feedback I entered " Manifest V3' reason :)

Microsoft cheats by preloading Edge. On a weak Intel Atom z3740 this is noticeable. Edge starts in just over a second, but Chrome second and consequetive program starts take 3-4 seconds.

So now only using two extensions AdGuard and Emsisift Browser Protection on Edge :)

I found this link to add restrictions to Edge through GPO or manual registry hack

Group Policy and Mobile Device Management settings for Microsoft Edge (Microsoft Edge for IT Pros), I disabled flash, changing download directory, HideLocalHostIPAdres (WebRTC) and disabled History.

You can also easily hide local IP adres in Edge by typing about:flags en select " Hide my local IP adres ..."

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
On my Asus Transformer, I decided to switch to Edge completely. At the Chrome uninstall feedback I entered " Manifest V3' reason :)

Microsoft cheats by preloading Edge. On a weak Intel Atom z3740 this is noticeable. Edge starts in just over a second, but Chrome second and consequetive program starts take 3-4 seconds.

So now only using two extensions AdGuard and Emsisift Browser Protection on Edge :)

I found this link to add restrictions to Edge through GPO or manual registry hack

Group Policy and Mobile Device Management settings for Microsoft Edge (Microsoft Edge for IT Pros), I disabled flash, changing download directory, HideLocalHostIPAdres (WebRTC) and disabled History.

You can also easily hide local IP adres in Edge by typing about:flags en select " Hide my local IP adres ..."
I have wanted to move edge again since emsisoft released their extension, its such a good browser

Only thing im wondering as theyre moving to chromium, will they keep EdgeHTML like internet explorer is still there.

Were living hectic times, and i want to stick on one browser, but edge is getting upgraded , so is chrome...firefox feels like being only one stable movement without hassle

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have wanted to move edge again since emsisoft released their extension, its such a good browser

Only thing im wondering as theyre moving to chromium, will they keep EdgeHTML like internet explorer is still there.

Were living hectic times, and i want to stick on one browser, but edge is getting upgraded , so is chrome...firefox feels like being only one stable movement without hassle

Why worry beforehand? Edge is a good, secure browser. I only use Nano. Nothing else needed. EdgeHTML is going away, or will be retained in some form along with Chromium - if I remember correctly.They're making the switch to Chromium to get more users and developers, and to overcome problems they have had accessing some websites. Developers have less adaptability issues with the Chromium, instead of EdgeHTML and Chromium.

FWIW: Don't assume the new Edge is going to be full of problems. I'm pretty certain if I like Edge now, I will be fine with the new Edge. Keep the faith, brother!(y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

Update on this issue.

View attachment 208790
Following the publication of this study, Google engineers made it official on a Google Groups posting hours later, announcing a relaxation of the Manifest V3 changes that would have impacted ad blockers.
"Another clarification is that the webRequest API is not going to be fully removed as part of Manifest V3," said Chrome engineer Devlin Cronin [emphasis his].
Does this mean ublock origin is here to stay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.