Chrome Extension Manifest V3 May Break uBlock Origin Content Blocker

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Does this mean ublock origin is here to stay
I believe so! I think Google quickly realized that the backlash that they were getting due to their proposed changes would have cost them a lot of users IMO. If the extension was still available on Firefox and if Google still went ahead with this change, a lot of people would have jumped ship over to Firefox. It's pretty amazing actually how 1 or 2 extensions can make or break a browser's overall usage.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Does this mean ublock origin is here to stay

Well.... that's the way I interpret it.

uBO and other adblockers will continue to exist and hopefully thrive in the Chrome environment.

There is a positive side to this apparent 'false alarm' -- it caused me to look at other browsers (i.e. Brave) and other adblocker types that I would not have previously.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It is not a surprise that Google is trying to cripple adblockers, after all ads (AdWords) is its primary business.
With its native adblocker and Extension Manifest V3, Google would have a lot of control and power, so I am glad to see that the deceit didnt prevail.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I figured push would come to shove for Google. They're showing a hint of desperation with their software deals to install their PUA browser, and the desperate sounding survey when you go to uninstall. They know Brave and others are catching on. They may control a lot of territory, but not all of it!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Are you all ready for a browser without content blocker extensions? If Chrome wants them eliminated it'll have it and Mozilla will follow suit.

Are you using a browser now without any content blocker extension? A browser with some built-in content blocking like Brave, Chrome, Firefox etc. When Manifest V3 is implemented then the built-in content blocking of the browser will be enhanced which means user tracking by the browser will be furthered. May have to resort to using Adguard for Desktop, BlackFog Privacy or Blokada for Desktop (if there's one)

Like to hear some inputs from users what's their browsing life is without the content blocker extensions?

:unsure:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I use Adguard software not the extension. My bet is that other software blockers wil appear if there is no change on this proposal.

Anyway I always thought it's a good idea to have something external to your browser doing a system-wide filtering. No ads on any software.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Will Chrome Extension Manifest V3 also impact Chromium "clones" like the new Edge Dev?
Its up to every fork i guess, chrome will only limit full adblocking extensions to enterprise users

And if they block access to their web store somehow, microsoft will have their own microsoft store still

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Its up to every fork i guess, chrome will only limit full adblocking extensions to enterprise users

And if they block access to their web store somehow, microsoft will have their own microsoft store still
I have some hope for their own store, but will there be separate extensions for the different browsers? I don't think extensions like uBlock Origin will have a different version for the new Edge or Brave. So I think unfortunately all Chromium based browsers will be impacted.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have some hope for their own store, but will there be separate extensions for the different browsers? I don't think extensions like uBlock Origin will have a different version for the new Edge or Brave. So I think unfortunately all Chromium based browsers will be impacted.

I don't see why the major blocking apps couldn't migrate to the Windows Store. M$ must have the ability to update it to boost their browser user share and now it has an incentive. And I understand that Chromium is open-source and the fork browsers can implement their own features. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I may be lacking knowledge of how Chromium browsers function. This actually could give Brave, Edge a boost in the race to take some G's current market share. G clearly doesn't care to protect its own Web Store so why would it care about malware via iframes, etc.? It's all about the $$$ for them.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't see why the major blocking apps couldn't migrate to the Windows Store. M$ must have the ability to update it to boost their browser user share and now it has an incentive. And I understand that Chromium is open-source and the fork browsers can implement their own features. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I may be lacking knowledge of how Chromium browsers function. This actually could give Brave, Edge a boost in the race to take some G's current market share. G clearly doesn't care to protect its own Web Store so why would it care about malware via iframes, etc.? It's all about the $$$ for them.
Each chromium based browser can indeed implement their own features and I hope your right that this can be a boost for Brave, Edge, and others.
I meant that I don't think that they will make more different versions of the same extension.
The one in chrome store works on all chromium based browsers.
So if they have to limit its features for chrome that probably means the features will be limited in all chromium based browsers.
In the near future, there will be only 2 types of browsers: Firefox based or chromium based.
We will all have to migrate to Firefox or use Brave (thanks @Nightwalker )
It's worth noting that our Brave Shields (ad blocker) is not an extension; it is natively implemented. So extension API changes leave our shields unaffected.
Edit: We can always remove any code or update we don't like from the Chromium base we use. So even if this didn't just affect extensions but something deeper, we could just exclude it.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't see why. After all, if uBO and others can't function in Chrome they will still function in other Chromium forks. They will kiss G goodbye and good riddance.
I do hope so, but will they still be developed for other chromium forks that have a lot less users than Google Chrome :unsure:
This could indeed be the death of ad blockers like uBlock Origin on chromium and the rise of built in blockers like Firefox, Brave and Opera have.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I do hope so, but will they still be developed for other chromium forks that have a lot less users than Google Chrome :unsure:
This could indeed be the death of ad blockers like uBlock Origin on chromium and the rise of built in blockers like Firefox, Brave and Opera have.

Maybe... but I believe Edge and others combined will be big enough to merit Gorhill's work, and other major extension players. Only time will tell, my friend. Keep the faith! (y) :D

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

We are actively exploring other ways to expand this API, including adding methods to get feedback about matched rules, and support for richer redirects leveraging URL manipulation and regular expressions. Additionally, we are currently planning to change the rule limit from maximum of 30k rules per extension to a global maximum of 150k rules.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.