Chrome Extension Manifest V3 May Break uBlock Origin Content Blocker

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks for the links @silversurfer. At least G is reaching out to users with more info, which is a good move on their part. Now I can't say whether or not they are simply spinning PR due to my lack of technical expertise, but in time we should hear from those who do have it. Some extension developers are quite smart/ingenious so new paths will be blazed. I urge patience as we watch further developments on this issue...

@DeepWeb - I can run µBO @ under 30,000 easily and it is still effective. Using Medium Mode enables one to use even less.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Um, does 150k global rules mean the sum of uBlock Origin filters
png_163.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The key parts being;

" The argument is puzzling considering that Google announced previously that it will remove only the blocking part of the webRequest API when Manifest V3 launches. It would seem that malicious extension developers may still use it to access user data by monitoring requests.

Developers have voiced other concerns as Google focuses on a rules-based approach only. Any functionality that is not rules based might not be supported by Chrome extensions if the changes launch in the current form".

BTW: Martin and his Ghacks team deserve MT members' support.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Raymond Hill still says G's plan will be end of µBO on Chrome for a number of reasons. https://twitter.com/gorhill?lang=en There are other issues involved as well, e.g. the web store ecosystem. M$ and FF have their own stores, and Brave has plans for its own, but nothing yet. I still say this will give these browsers a leg up in the browser wars, except for users committed to the Google ecosystem. G will pay a price but the question remains: how high a price?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Raymond Hill still says G's plan will be end of µBO on Chrome for a number of reasons. https://twitter.com/gorhill?lang=en There are other issues involved as well, e.g. the web store ecosystem. M$ and FF have their own stores, and Brave has plans for its own, but nothing yet. I still say this will give these browsers a leg up in the browser wars, except for users committed to the Google ecosystem. G will pay a price but the question remains: how high a price?
Is the end of uBlock Origin on Chrome not the end of uBlock Origin on all chromium based browsers?
Will Raymond still develop uBlock Origin for chromium/Brave/Opera/Edge (all based on or the same as the Google Chrome version) or just Firefox?
It's not clear to me :unsure:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is the end of uBlock Origin on Chrome not the end of uBlock Origin on all chromium based browsers?
Will Raymond still develop uBlock Origin for chromium/Brave/Opera/Edge (all based on or the same as the Google Chrome version) or just Firefox?
It's not clear to me :unsure:

Chromium forks have the option to modify as they wish. It comes down to having the wish to maintain different APIs, features, etc., having an extension ecosystem for their browsers and developers who will develop extensions for them. Brave and ChromEdge have more incentive and willingness, unlike Opera and some other smaller players who may follow G's lead. At least, that's how I understand it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Chromium forks have the option to modify as they wish. It comes down to having the wish to maintain different APIs, features, etc., having an extension ecosystem for their browsers and developers who will develop extensions for them. Brave and ChromEdge have more incentive and willingness, unlike Opera and some other smaller players who may follow G's lead. At least, that's how I understand it.
I understand that, but my question is more for Raymond. Will he keep on developing a chromium version of uBlock Origin when the dominant browser (Google Chrome) doesn't support it anymore due to Extension Manifest V3 ?
The other chromium based browsers have no meaningful market share today.
He could just give up. He did that before and as a result we have an uBlock and an uBlock Origin.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I understand that, but my question is more for Raymond. Will he keep on developing a chromium version of uBlock Origin when the dominant browser (Google Chrome) doesn't support it anymore due to Extension Manifest V3 ?
The other chromium based browsers have no meaningful market share today.
He could just give up. He did that before and as a result we have an uBlock and an uBlock Origin.

I misunderstood your previous post. You raise a question I honestly hadn't thought of. We will see eventually as things develop. I ought to pay more attention to posts! :D

Here's another post: Google: No, Of Course, We're Not Slowly Killing Ad Blockers

At least on the surface, this looks like a good thing. But there are a few niggling details that call that into question. Back in January, the Register reported that Adblock Plus and similar plugins relying on basic filtering would still be able to function, while more sophisticated ones like uBlock Origin and uMatrix would be completely borked. The site also noted that well, Google had conveniently paid Adblock Plus to let their own ads pass unblocked in the software. In a statement, Ghostery, another popular adblocker, pointed out the Declarative Net Request API was limited, and that it wouldn’t be possible to “modify or kill potentially dangerous or privacy-invading requests.” ...

Still, developers aren’t buying it. In a statement to Wired, Ghostery President Jeremy Tillman said, “I think they’ve been trying to give the impression that they’re working with the developer community, when in fact they’re pretty entrenched with what they want to do. The new API is not in itself a bad thing, but it becomes a bad thing when it’s the only option because it lacks the flexibility that the Web Requests API provides.”

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
No answer from MS yet.... :

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
No answer from MS yet.... :

Thanks for this post. I suppose it's best not to get invested in stories like this because we're in the middle of two major development streams - Chrome and ChromEdge. I keep telling myself to be patient and see what comes out in the wash, but I remain curious as you and others are.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.