HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This was mentioned in Wilders. It seems in can be used to replace ClearURL

Anyone here tried it?
But ClearURLs have other features like preventing redirects, handling eTags(for FF) etc

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Open issues are slowly piling up. Here's the latest one, issue #1023 :
What is the status of this project?
Copy of What is the status of this project? · Issue #144 · ClearURLs/Addon
First of all, thanks for the project! I'd like to inquire about the status of this project.
There hasn't been an update of the rules json in almost a year and there do seem to be lots of issues (in both this repo and the rules repo) about links breaking or trackers not being stripped off that just sit untouched since January.
The reason I ask this is because I maintain a downstream project that relies on clearURLs called GitHub - JaneJeon/normalize-url-plus: Supercharge your link normalization with DNS and HTTPS checks, redirects, tracker stripping, and canonical link extraction! and it uses clearURLs because AFAIK it is (so far) the best list of URL trackers.
I understand that the extension is undergoing a rewrite, but it would be nice to know if the rules at the very least are still being actively being maintained/fixed/updated, or if it's not, whether it is planned to be picked up anytime soon (if so, what's the timeline?), whether the rules are abandoned, whether the author(s) are intending to keep the rules up to date but just need some help, etc.
Thanks!
@KevinRoebert
TL;DR: even if the extension is undergoing a rewrite or is dropped outright, there is enough value in frequently updating and actively maintaining the tracker rule list independently from the rewrite, and I think there would be enough people willing to do that if you are too short on time/need some help.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I just downloaded it and it's still available. Try troubleshooting your browser issue. In any case, I think it's superfluous now on Chromium and of course Manifest V3 is coming ... so ... 👣👣👣
I can download every possible extension, except this one. Gives an error "invalid package" since the day it was removed from chrome store, on both of my PCs.

Reactions: oldschool

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I can download every possible extension, except this one. Gives an error "invalid package" since the day it was removed from chrome store, on both of my PCs.
Might be a caching issue on both systems I have installed this extension on multiple PC's and laptops with no issue with chrome even edge browsers.

You may need to flush both your DNS cache and clear your chrome browser cache.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I still use it, since I'm an oddball, believer of 'one extension for one (specific) job and doing it well'. I still find the blocklist a bit too young at this stage. It's a good step in the direction its heading, but I have still seen quite a few URLs that have not fully been stripped of the tracker parameters yet in comparison to the ClearURLs extension. I might switch when it has matured a bit more, after all it's still quite recent of a feature within uBlock Origin/AdGuard at this current stage.
Or at least that's my personal experience.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Apologize for dropping in late, but....

Browsers facilitating delete on exit (Edge and Firefox) and AdGuard's URL parameter stripping blocklist (uBlock and AdGuard) sort of make this extension redundant?
I quite agree, as above post:
... In any case, I think it's superfluous now on Chromium and of course Manifest V3 is coming ... so ...
There is also this list: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt/master/LegitimateURLShortener.txt
Issues discussion here: Actually Legitimate URL Shortener Tool

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.