App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
My is turned OFF and I still get update normal.

View attachment 149691 View attachment 149692

I mean the service, Windows Update will require some windows firewall functions due to sercurity reasons in order to install certain updates, that's something I can tell you from my past experience, I used to have Windows Firewall service disabled. There is even a error code for it and the fix for it from oficial Microsoft website is to make sure windows firewall is running.

Last edited:
Reactions: Av Gurus and Viking

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
It may just be a sporadic issue, and although I personally have no issues a couple of the few subscribers that actually waste their time viewing my videos have reported problems which were resolved by enabling WF. So just a Heads up.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Is it me or you can't edit post anymore?. I mean how much time I have before I won't be able to edit a post, just to know heh. :)

Reactions: Hector1

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
It may just be a sporadic issue, and although I personally have no issues a couple of the few subscribers that actually waste their time viewing my videos have reported problems which were resolved by enabling WF. So just a Heads up.

Those others who happen on this thread might be relieved to learn of this too for sure. Thanks a bunch.

Your videos are so extremely helpful. Please keep them rolling out. All the reviews you do are incredibly informative for all.

Also hopefully your other non subscribers too who bother viewing your videos take some effort to HDMI them to their large flat screen like me. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FrFc1908

Brn888

Level 1
May 13, 2017
Just passing by to thank you CruelSister by your effort on making those videos.
Keep up the good work ;)

I was looking for a combo (AV+FW) 100% free for commercial use and I've "cross" your post.
By the way I choose FortiClient (Just for peace of mind of having an AV) and Comodo FW with your configuration.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks Brn! Yeah, although I'm not an especial fan of FortiClient, that's only when someone will use it alone. Comodo may have a bit more of the burden to share than with something like Avast, but at the end of the day 100% is 100%.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks Brn! Yeah, although I'm not an especial fan of FortiClient, that's only when someone will use it alone. Comodo may have a bit more of the burden to share than with something like Avast, but at the end of the day 100% is 100%.

I'm just running CFW10, and wondering what would be optimal av to run with it, if anything else is needed. I do have EEK to run an occasional on-demand scan. I have BD Free running on another pc, seems light enough.

Brn888

Level 1
May 13, 2017

The only 100% free for commercial use that I find and was from a well know company was FortiClient. I know there's 360TS but I really don't feel confortable with it =D
My enviroment is all win7 machines so Defender was not a option and for MSE and decided to skip it.

I'm just running CFW10, and wondering what would be optimal av to run with it, if anything else is needed. I do have EEK to run an occasional on-demand scan. I have BD Free running on another pc, seems light enough.

BitDefender and many others free are only free on a home enviroment. At first was thinking on Avira+CF10 (that I wrongly installed) but after a second look into their site and found out that it falls on home/personal use.

If anyone has another suggestion I all ears :D

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

This thread was all the intitiative I needed to turn off cloud lookup lol. Cloud Lookup could avoid a FP, but I think it's probably more likely that it would create trusted status for sketchy software or malware. Either way, the file is somewhat sketchy if it's not signed or a trusted vendor. Not a great idea to add trust from the cloud imo...

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the link. Just completed reading the thread, interesting.

It was a false negative. The malware was designated as trusted by a Comodo employee. It's a non-issue; the chance of running into a false negative in the wild is negligible.
Good to know. So, using another AV with CFW (even with CS config) is a good practice? PS, using 360TSE (w/o BD or Avira) with CFW (with CS config).

All the intitiative I needed to turn off cloud lookup lol. Cloud Lookup could avoid a FP, but I think it's probably more likely that it would create trusted status for sketchy software or malware. Either way, the file is somewhat sketchy if it's not signed or a trusted vendor. Not a great idea to add trust from the cloud imo...
Wouldn't turning off cloud lookup will make every single program to run in sandbox. Adding each & every program to trusted in CFW will make it quite a hassle. It's not for me. gonna stick with CS config for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Good to know. So, using another AV with CFW (even with CS config) is a good practice? PS, using 360TSE (w/o BD or Avira) with CFW (with CS config).
An AV isn't necessary with CFW so it's entirely up to you. The only role a supplementary AV will play is in signature detection: Anything the AV deems malicious will be quarantined before Comodo gets involved. If you run into malware that the AV doesn't identify via signatures then said malware will be forced to run inside Comodo's sandbox where it will be unable to affect your system.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Wouldn't turn off cloud lookup will make every single program to run in sandbox. Adding each & every program to trusted in CFW will make it quite a hassle. It's not for me. gonna stick with CS config for now.

Yes, I can see your point, and it's a very good point indeed.

I would choose rather to see the sandbox alerts and then unblock what I know is safe from the alert. I'm sure this is way too risky for some users, but I have been at this for very good while o_O. I also run 360 TS for its detections and NVT ERP for a little bit of a different look at unknowns. NVT ERP alerts are pointed enough to tell me most of what I feel I need to know usually. If something gets by 360 and then NVT ERP doesn't show me anything :eek:, usually I know a file is safe to unblock at the sandbox...

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
This thread was all the intitiative I needed to turn off cloud lookup lol. Cloud Lookup could avoid a FP, but I think it's probably more likely that it would create trusted status for sketchy software or malware. Either way, the file is somewhat sketchy if it's not signed or a trusted vendor. Not a great idea to add trust from the cloud imo...

Exactly what I have as a nice support app to CFW 10. NVT-ERP is great at isolation itself with it's interrupts courtesy the many different ruleset listings.

Just as a precaution the Vulnerable Process List in ERP includes some potential target files that I have already assigned to CFW File List as UNRECOGNIZED.

A little over the top maybe? Perhaps but for me in tandem with Comodo FW it's proven so far an excellent combo in and of itself.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Just as a precaution the Vulnerable Process List in ERP includes some potential target files that I have already assigned to CFW File List as UNRECOGNIZED.

A little over the top maybe? Perhaps but for me in tandem with Comodo FW it's proven so far an excellent combo in and of itself.

Done the same thing EASTER in the NVT Vulnerables list. I mostly use NVT ERP for those exact alerts and first look at script alerts. I also love the ability to whitelist/blacklist command lines with wildcards. For me, the ERP vulnerable alert stands out, so I feel like I have a small amount of insurance against that type of attack, even though I am getting the Comodo alert too. Comodo will definitely do the job by itself however. cruelsister's settings are extremely well tested and verified. They are unbeatable, considering unrecognized are auto-sandboxed without an alert. Only possible mistake is a false allow from Comodo via Cloud Lookup...very unlikely (1 in 50,000 or something maybe).

One other thing about adding NVT ERP. I have trimmed the Trusted Vendors List of Comodo FW to only vendors of software that is on the system now. This is primarily because I don't install much software at the present time. However, because I have also turned off Cloud Lookup to eliminate the meager possibility of false allows from Comodo, everything I install almost is sandboxed the first time it is run. Not all that many would care to go with this setup probably, but it gets more complicated too. I have set CFW so that I can see the sandbox alert unlike cruelsister. Risky I know, but it means that the the time of first run, I can leave the block or unblock, and I have this choice (auto-sandbox will occur after a short time). The most complicated part of this is that "unblock" (only option on the alert I get) creates a rule for all [enabled] elements of Comodo FW to allow the application and changes the file to Trusted in the files list. For the generated HIPS rules, everything except 'create a process' is set to allow, while 'create a process' is set to ask. No security there, since the file is trusted. That's why I hate the "unblock" logic Comodo is using. I would like to be able to have a second chance at unboxed applications with the HIPs alerts. These are very pointed and say alot about the app's intentions. Comodo is still good in this scenario in that anything that tries to use a script engine will be blocked or blocked with an alert. Seems like most of the worst wants to do this at some point.

I have always been this way with security. I like to live on the edge and trust myself rather than trust the vendor, and I guess I have made myself the potential weak point in the chain :eek:. Not sure why I am this way, but ERP helps immensely for gathering information since its alerts are better than what I get from Comodo from the sandbox. I also have 360 Total Security for signature detection. That uses the Bitdefender and Avira engines, although a little bit behind the the one in Bitdefender and [I have read] Emsisoft. Overall, I am very confident in the setup. Generally, if I weren't extremely good at seeing potentially dangerous software situations, I wouldn't do this...not to boast I hope. It's just that I have learned so much about what to look for and most importantly where it typically comes from in the first place.

For you, ERP I would think can add the ability to see when something is, for example, unsigned. The ERP alerts could be better, even without cloud service, but there is good information on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The only 100% free for commercial use that I find and was from a well know company was FortiClient. I know there's 360TS but I really don't feel confortable with it =D
My enviroment is all Windows 7 machines so Defender was not a option and for MSE and decided to skip it.

BitDefender and many others free are only free on a home enviroment. At first was thinking on Avira+CF10 (that I wrongly installed) but after a second look into their site and found out that it falls on home/personal use.

If anyone has another suggestion I all ears :D

I tried avira free on one of the win7 I use, but was not happy. seemed sluggish, but that hardware is starting to age at +6 years... BD free on a somewhat new hardware seems ok, although I'm reading posts about BD update problems...??

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.