App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 178

There is another new NVT ERP development currently being newly coded/assembled/tuned and internally tested which when released is going to be even better.
yep i followed it, and Andreas told me it will finally fully support SUA.

Reactions: AtlBo

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
I tried avira free on one of the Windows 7 I use, but was not happy. seemed sluggish, but that hardware is starting to age at +6 years... BD free on a somewhat new hardware seems ok, although I'm reading posts about BD update problems...??
Hello,
I don't have problem with update. BD Free is updating its DB every one or two hours, and the engine is self upgrading itself. The only complaint is when I start my computer, the first update seems to happen not immediately... And you have no button to force it.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I somewhere read that is ok to run Comodo Firewall together with Win Firewall (on Win 10), there is no need to turn off Win firewall (i don't mean full shut down of service and all, just in firewall settings).
Is that true, how to you guys set that up (my Win firewall is turned off)?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I somewhere read that is ok to run Comodo Firewall together with Win Firewall (on Windows 10), there is no need to turn off Win firewall (i don't mean full shut down of service and all, just in firewall settings).
Is that true, how to you guys set that up (my Win firewall is turned off)?

Thats true. I have both enabled and it is working without problems. I read is too, dont know where :D

Reactions: AtlBo and Av Gurus

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Ok guys I know this is a stretch and probably impossible but I have to ask anyway.

Is there anyway to find and read the behavior details that Viruscope says that it logs?

And how effective is this on an offline situation or does it matter. FWIW I have Cloud LookUp DISABLE too.

Are they connected?

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
I am going to try this setup now, have only used BD free in the past, but with new ransomware being more popular now, i think more anti-ransomware protection is a good idea to have... and since CFW can be setup like this using free version, Makes sense to try free setup before I spend money on buying BD paid or Kapersky paid product.. :p

Since I've read many others (and @cruelsister herself) say that an additional AV software isn't necessary with these settings, I plan to just keep Windows Defender running. Others & cruelsister have suggested: Avast 2017 free, BD free, or Qihoo 360 free IF wanted... but i have no such desire (don't think I'll feel "naked" without some other definition/signature based AV... i think...lol o_O:eek:)

---> Unless the other AV's i mentioned above are more resource efficient than windows defender?
I have no idea, I just guessed that Windows Defender is more resource efficient than the others i mentioned...so i could be wrong. If that is the case, then maybe i'll just install BD free or Avast 2017 free along with CFW (cruelsister settings) to have good signature based protection too.

//edit
I have windows 10 home 64bit, 12 GB ram (8+4), Crucial MX300 SSD, i7-4500U
so maybe with my (still somewhat decent) hardware, it won't matter if i use Windows Defender vs. Avast 2017 Free vs BD free ...? :)

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Hi still wondering if cruelsister setup will work with ComodoAntivirus 10 ? Thks
CFW with cruelsister's setup will "work fine" with comodo antivirus, however, from almost everything i have read recently about this setup (read previous posts in this thread itself for proof, along with other threads): Comodo AntiVirus is NOT a good choice for AV to use (either combined with CFW, which is basically the CIS product, or in general). It almost sounds like Comodo AV was seemingly added by Comodo almost as an afterthought (I guess), just for the sake of having an AV named product; CFW already includes very good cloud based AV functionality. So CFW (with cruelsister setup) is all you need. If you still want another AV product in addition to CFW, look at my previous post above urs to see what others & cruelsister herself recommends to use.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Hi still wondering if cruelsister setup will work with ComodoAntivirus 10 ? Thks

You will be better protected with CF because Comodo AV does not have firewall and if you got something that try to still your passwords (like keyloggers...) you don't have nothing to stop it to send that information out.
Comodo AV is not so good so you will only have Sandbox that protect you (maybe better choice would be Comodo Cloud AV with Sandbox).

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thats true. I have both enabled and it is working without problems. I read is too, dont know where :D

Anyone know if the Comodo firewall blocks hosts file choices/entries or would Windows firewall have to be on for hosts file entries to be blocked normally? I am using CFW v10 with Windows (7 SP1) firewall off, and I added a domain to the hosts file to see if the hosts file was working. It wasn't blocked and then I read someplace that there might be an issue with https and the hosts file and found a number of other possible reasons. Spybot Anti-Beacon depends on the file is one main reason I ask.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
NVT ERP best "security backup" soft ever :p
And its protection starts very early, thanks to its being a service. It starts long before Comodo protection initializes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Anyone know if the Comodo firewall respects hosts file choices or would Windows firewall have to be on for hosts file entries to be blocked normally? I am using CFW v10 with Windows (7 SP1) firewall off, and I added a domain to the hosts file to see if the hosts file was working. It wasn't blocked and then I read someplace that there might be an issue with https and the hosts file and found a number of other possible reasons. Spybot Anti-Beacon depends on the file is one main reason I ask.
Conventional wisdom says to use only one firewall at a time, because if the rules conflict, your computer won't know which firewall to listen to.
Yeah, if you manually switch off Windows firewall, on Windows 10 with Creators Update, then you will get a little red X in the Windows Defender Security Center. But that is only a cosmetic problem.

Reactions: Parsh and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm just running CFW10, and wondering what would be optimal av to run with it, if anything else is needed. I do have EEK to run an occasional on-demand scan. I have BD Free running on another pc, seems light enough.
Avast free -- you should install it without the behavior shield in order to avoid conflicts -- works with just about any security combo.

It's a good idea (although not essential) to run a traditional AV alongside with Comodo Firewall, because:

1 maybe you will make a mistake and decide to allow an unknown file to run, and it turns out to be malicious
2 maybe cloud lookup will make a mistake
3 maybe Comodo trusted vendors list will allow undesirable adware

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I install Comodo FW the "windows defender security center" tray icon vanishes and I can't open it unless I unistall Comodo FW.
Windows Defender will still run in the background and will monitor and block and notify about threats detected, but I can't reach the GUI and can't use it's settings so it is annoying.
Today that happened to me, too.
I think it is caused by a conflict with other security software that I am running, in addition to CFW. Maybe you are running other security softs?
In any case, I found that if I type "defender" in windows search, I immediately get "windows defender security center", and if I click on it, it opens, and works just fine.
So the only thing missing is the little icon in the system tray.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thks for the info ,I find the firewall slows my internet ,so I installed webroot with Comodo antivirus which are working very well together and with cruelsisters setup I should be fine. I hope ..
I share @Av Gurus confusion. I don't really understand how the firewall component of Comodo slows your internet (maybe it is rather the Website filtering that is giving you grief?), and I also don't understand how webroot + Comodo AV = the protection you are missing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.