App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ok so I installed Comodo firewall and uninstalled the antivirus part.Just a few questions, to start should I keep it in firewall option or go to internet option?
Hips was enabled by default should I keep it on? Should windows service firewall be set to disabled or manual or be kept on automatic? Thks
Don't go to internet config. It's weak.
Firewall is strong, Proactive is stronger.
If you stay in Firewall config, then yes, keep HIPS on.
Don't touch Windows firewall service. Leave it on automatic.
You can turn off Windows firewall from control panel, that's fine, and even recommended.
But don't turn it off from Windows services.

By the way, why not use @cruelsister settings? Then you don't have to sweat it.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Ok so I installed Comodo firewall and uninstalled the antivirus part.Just a few questions, to start should I keep it in firewall option or go to internet option?
Hips was enabled by default should I keep it on? Should windows service firewall be set to disabled or manual or be kept on automatic? Thks

HIPs are great but it may help to know that using the "Unblock Applications" dialog on the widget will create allow rules for firewall, HIPs, and the sandbox ("Ignore" rule). The process/file status will also be changed to "Trusted". The unblock dialog is convenient but doesn't give you an opportunity to create separate rules when you unblock an app. For such an integral thing, seems like Comodo could go a little bit further to me.

If someone could get really good with HIPs, I could envision them using maybe half the rules but with great effectiveness. I haven't seen it done, but I think I can imagine such a setup.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Thks for the info I just want to start out slowly and will switch to cruel sisters settings soon just want to see how comodo reacts to my computer.

Here are CS settings when you feel comfort to use them.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
unfortunately bluestack not working because of the VM running... but in configuration>firewall security its working any solutions...

So you have bluestack running in the VM? Sounds like your VM is untrusted and being run contained/sandboxed, but maybe I misunderstand your situation...

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Hi guys- a couple of things- for those using a beta build of Windows 10, you are pretty much on your own as you are fishing in potentially troubled waters. Many vendors totally ignore beta build of an OS as these build change frequently so the game isn't worth the candle for them.

Second- on Windows 10 DO NOT disable Windows Firewall. This may cause issues and CF and WF co-exist exquisitely together.

WHAT ?

I just read earlier today, on Comodo Forum and they were saying that Windows firewall needs to be turned off, and its a flaw in the new Comodo FW, that doesn't automatically turn off Windows Firewall, and that IF windows keeps turning the Windows firewall on, go into Gpedit, services, and the registry and turn off the windows firewall, totally disabling it...

NOW I read this?

Reactions: shmu26 and AtlBo

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
WHAT ?

I just read earlier today, on Comodo Forum and they were saying that Windows firewall needs to be turned off, and its a flaw in the new Comodo FW, that doesn't automatically turn off Windows Firewall, and that IF windows keeps turning the Windows firewall on, go into Gpedit, services, and the registry and turn off the windows firewall, totally disabling it...

NOW I read this?
what ive read (in this thread i believe even) is that you can turn off windows firewall but NOT the service otherwise that causes problems with windows update

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
CFW turns off the firewall as far as the Action Center goes in Windows 7 Pro. The service is still running, but I haven't noticed any problems, other than I'm not sure hosts is working. Supposedly that isn't related to Windows firewall or Comodo FW.

im new to cfw..
this is the error...

I don't think CFW caused this. The error says you are running Bluestacks in a virtual machine. Do you know what that is and if it is true that you are using a VM for Bluestacks?

deemanthax

Level 1
Verified
Dec 13, 2016
I don't think CFW caused this. The error says you are running Bluestacks in a virtual machine. Do you know what that is and if it is true that you are using a VM for Bluestacks?
no.. in my knowledge i dont use VM for anything.. even bluestack run on my original os...

Reactions: AtlBo

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
SO We need to do the following?

Go to Control Panel / Windows Firewall / Turn Windows Firewall on or off, and then turn off Windows Firewall for Public and Private Network Settings?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
no.. in my knowledge i dont use VM for anything.. even bluestack run on my original os...

OK. Then likely Bluestacks is confused. It appears that for some reason Bluestacks is running in the sandbox/contained, so you need to go into Comodo settings and make an adjustment. Bluestacks thinks it is in a VM, but it's in the Comodo container/sandbox.

Click on "Secure" on the widget.

1.jpg

Click on Settings.

2.jpg

Click on Containment->Auto Containment.

3.jpg

Click on Add.

4.jpg

Select Ignore in the top drop down.

5.jpg

Edit.

6.jpg

Find Bluestacks.exe in the program folder.

7.jpg

Click OK and exit settings. Try Bluestacks again to see if it is running outside of the container. I think this will fix the problem, but you may need to add a HIPs rule too unless HIPs is off.

Last edited:

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
SO We need to do the following?

Go to Control Panel / Windows Firewall / Turn Windows Firewall on or off, and then turn off Windows Firewall for Public and Private Network Settings?

And Besides the above

If we are running an antivirus like Kaspersky AV 2017 with Comodo Fw, we also turn off Web filtering, and Viruscope? And we can uninstall Comodo Internet Security Essentials (Somehow Comodo installed this with the Firewall ?)

Do I have this right ?

Reactions: darko999 and AtlBo

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
WHAT ?

NOW I read this?

You should not disable Windows Firewall service as already explained in this thread. You can freely turn off windows firewall from security center, but the service should be kept set to manual or automatic, not disabled.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
And Besides the above

If we are running an antivirus like Kaspersky AV 2017 with Comodo Fw, we also turn off Web filtering, and Viruscope? And we can uninstall Comodo Internet Security Essentials (Somehow Comodo installed this with the Firewall ?)

Do I have this right ?

Comodo Internet Security Essentials (CISE) protects you from man-in-the-middle attacks during online banking and shopping sessions by verifying that sites you connect to are using a trusted SSL certificate:

Comodo Internet Security Essentials - Introduction, Network Security, SSL Certificate

it's up to you to unistall it or keep it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You should not disable Windows Firewall service as already explained in this thread. You can freely turn off windows firewall from security center, but the service should be kept set to manual or automatic, not disabled.
If you set Windows Firewall service to manual, that means it won't run automatically at system startup.
I can't say for sure, but it makes much more sense to me to leave Windows Firewall service at the automatic setting, which is the default setting.

Reactions: darko999

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
If you set Windows Firewall service to manual, that means it won't run automatically at system startup.
I can't say for sure, but it makes much more sense to me to leave Windows Firewall service at the automatic setting, which is the default setting.

In the past I had it disabled, and got the issue with windows update; since then I leave it at manual. When windows needs it it will just run the service, that's manual. Automatic also works.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.