App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Conventional wisdom says to use only one firewall at a time, because if the rules conflict, your computer won't know which firewall to listen to.
Yeah, if you manually switch off Windows firewall, on Windows 10 with Creators Update, then you will get a little red X in the Windows Defender Security Center. But that is only a cosmetic problem.
Clarification: you can turn off Windows Firewall, but just don't disable it in Windows services.
I think this point was already made.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Thks for the info ,I find the firewall slows my internet ,so I installed webroot with Comodo antivirus which are working very well together and with cruelsisters setup I should be fine. I hope ..
@cruelsister has a setup for webroot too? or you mean CAV?
Or u mean u tried to apply cruelsister's setup to CAV?

I share @Av Gurus confusion. I don't really understand how the firewall component of Comodo slows your internet (maybe it is rather the Website filtering that is giving you grief?), and I also don't understand how webroot + Comodo AV = the protection you are missing.
i also think might be the website filtering part, or if the computer is really old/under powered, then maybe the process of comparing to FW rules is too slow?

Clarification: you can turn off Windows Firewall, but just don't disable it in Windows services.
Does this apply to Creators Update too?
I've read that disabling windows firewall will cause issues with windows updates (but not clear if its only in windows 10 AU, or any windows 10 version..)
So if you turn off Windows Firewall, but dont disable the service, then windows updates will be ok and not have problems?

Reactions: darko999 and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

Had a question in on Comodo Forum on Hosts file. Comodo has nothing to do with Hosts and neither does Windows firewall. Reply echoed your statement @shmu26 that it is a bad idea to run two firewalls, since one set of rules could disagree with the other as you mentioned.

I was able to confirm that the Hosts file blocks connections at all levels, not just browsers. I wasn't sure how that worked...

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I share @Av Gurus confusion. I don't really understand how the firewall component of Comodo slows your internet (maybe it is rather the Website filtering that is giving you grief?), and I also don't understand how webroot + Comodo AV = the protection you are missing.
I think it may be the website filter ,that is why I did not go for Comodo firewall.So webroot and Comodo antivirus are no good as a setup?
Would I be better with comodo cloud and webroot ? No cruelsister setup in comodo cloud is there?

Reactions: AtlBo

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Why you want/need 2 very similar program for protection?
Webroot is cloud AV with BB/HIPS, Comodo cloud is very similar, you should use Comodo firewall with Webroot or something else (not another AV).

Reactions: Hector1 and AtlBo

deemanthax

Level 1
Verified
Dec 13, 2016
can cfw keep with bitdefender free antivirus???
i already using cfw but cant install bitdefender free
if bitdefender install 1st it will work or these 2 not compatible???

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
can cfw keep with bitdefender free antivirus???
i already using cfw but cant install bitdefender free
if bitdefender install 1st it will work or these 2 not compatible???
what i've read is this: install BD free first, complete installation, etc. Then install CFW.
if you have CFW already installed first, then BD says to uninstall CFW first before BD can be installed.

CypherZero

Level 1
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
Very odd....

When I try and switch to "proactive security configuration" and then restart my computer (windows 10, latest updates), I am no longer able to launch Comodo's main panel. I tried uninstalling, didn't work. I tried restoring from a Macrium back (prior to installation of Comodo), then reinstalling Comodo. Everything works great UNTIL I switch to "proactive security" ... once I do that, and do the reboot - can't bring up the panel. If I don't switch to proactive, and simply reboot, everything still works fine.

I'm kinda stuck. Hope I can solve this. Anyone run into this, or have some suggestions?

A few things regarding the video:

... I can think of no valid reason not to switch to proactive Security Config...

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@CypherZero Are you running windows 10 x64 ver 1703 comp 15063.296? do you have any other security software installed? is Windows Defender running?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello,
I don't have problem with update. BD Free is updating its DB every one or two hours, and the engine is self upgrading itself. The only complaint is when I start my computer, the first update seems to happen not immediately... And you have no button to force it.

I'm trying out 360TSE with cfw as I've not used Qihoo before, so far so good, only notice that its BD signatures seem a few days old. but not concerned since 360 is backup for cfw. I've had no problems with BD free on another pc I use daily.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Avast free -- you should install it without the behavior shield in order to avoid conflicts -- works with just about any security combo.

It's a good idea (although not essential) to run a traditional AV alongside with Comodo Firewall, because:

1 maybe you will make a mistake and decide to allow an unknown file to run, and it turns out to be malicious
2 maybe cloud lookup will make a mistake
3 maybe Comodo trusted vendors list will allow undesirable adware

I tried avast a long time ago, did not appeal to me, don't recall why, been running 360TSE for a few days, seems light & ok so far.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

CypherZero

Level 1
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
@CypherZero Are you running windows 10 x64 ver 1703 comp 15063.296? do you have any other security software installed? is Windows Defender running?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Windows 10 x64 - and yes ... I think I traced the problem to a conflict with EmsiSoft Internet Security. When I uninstall EIS (Emsisoft), it Comodo seems to work fine.

So... now I have to choose: do I keep EmsiSoft ... or replace it with Comodo Firewall w/CruelSister's config. EIS has been great, but Comodo looks really good, especially with it's sandboxing.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Windows 10 x64 - and yes ... I think I traced the problem to a conflict with EmsiSoft Internet Security. When I uninstall EIS (Emsisoft), it Comodo seems to work fine.

So... now I have to choose: do I keep EmsiSoft ... or replace it with Comodo Firewall w/CruelSister's config. EIS has been great, but Comodo looks really good, especially with it's sandboxing.

Glad to know you tracked down the issue. Sure, running these two at the same time is trouble for sure. I recommend you to stay with EIS if you have a license. EIS is solid and will be enough for you if you have safe surfing habits. In the future, if EIS is not an option for any reason then you could go with CruelSister's Comodo FW config, and with a tweaked trusted vendor list even better.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@cruelsister has a setup for webroot too? or you mean CAV?
Or u mean u tried to apply cruelsister's setup to CAV?

i also think might be the website filtering part, or if the computer is really old/under powered, then maybe the process of comparing to FW rules is too slow?

Does this apply to Creators Update too?
I've read that disabling windows firewall will cause issues with windows updates (but not clear if its only in windows 10 AU, or any windows 10 version..)
So if you turn off Windows Firewall, but dont disable the service, then windows updates will be ok and not have problems?
Yes, also on Creators Update, you can safely turn off Windows Firewall. But don't mess with the service. Just leave that running, and you won't have any probs with Windows updates or anything else.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Had a question in on Comodo Forum on Hosts file. Comodo has nothing to do with Hosts and neither does Windows firewall. Reply echoed your statement @shmu26 that it is a bad idea to run two firewalls, since one set of rules could disagree with the other as you mentioned.

I was able to confirm that the Hosts file blocks connections at all levels, not just browsers. I wasn't sure how that worked...
Yes, you are absolutely right, the Hosts file works on a system level. In fact, adding the right entries in the Hosts file is a well known hack to prevent program updates. You add a block for the web address that the updater is known to use, and bingo, no updates for you.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think it may be the website filter ,that is why I did not go for Comodo firewall.
I personally do not like the Comodo website filter, either. So I just turn it off. Then I go ahead and use all the other cool things that Comodo does.
Don't let the website filter put you off, because it is so easy to disable.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Glad to know you tracked down the issue. Sure, running these two at the same time is trouble for sure. I recommend you to stay with EIS if you have a license. EIS is solid and will be enough for you if you have safe surfing habits. In the future, if EIS is not an option for any reason then you could go with CruelSister's Comodo FW config, and with a tweaked trusted vendor list even better.
If you like Emsisoft, but want another layer of protection, VoodooShield might be just right.
You can safely combo VS with a security suite. But you can't do such a combo with CFW.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
It may have changed with the latest versions of windows 10 but yes it is required for windows update to work properly to have Window Firewall service running, error 0x800706d9 refers to this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Ok so I installed Comodo firewall and uninstalled the antivirus part.Just a few questions, to start should I keep it in firewall option or go to internet option?
Hips was enabled by default should I keep it on? Should windows service firewall be set to disabled or manual or be kept on automatic? Thks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.