App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
So turn off windows firewall in Control Panel, and Turn Windows Firewall off, for Public and Private Network Settings? right...

AND

If we are running an antivirus like Kaspersky AV 2017 with Comodo Fw, we also turn off Web filtering, and Viruscope?

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So turn off windows firewall in Control Panel, and Turn Windows Firewall off, for Public and Private Network Settings?
Yes, in control panel you may turn off windows firewall for both public and private.

If we are running an antivirus like Kaspersky AV 2017 with Comodo Fw, we also turn off Web filtering, and Viruscope?
I would turn off web filtering, yes. It can get in the way.
About viruscope, I usually leave it on, because I don't think it is doing much of anything anyways, for good or for bad. I am always hoping to see it in action.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Yes, in control panel you may turn off windows firewall for both public and private.

I would turn off web filtering, yes. It can get in the way.
About viruscope, I usually leave it on, because I don't think it is doing much of anything anyways, for good or for bad. I am always hoping to see it in action.

Ahhh Thank You... Good Answer... Like the guy on TV says: "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts"...

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

deemanthax

Level 1
Verified
Dec 13, 2016
OK. Then likely Bluestacks is confused. It appears that for some reason Bluestacks is running in the sandbox/contained, so you need to go into Comodo settings and make an adjustment. Bluestacks thinks it is in a VM, but it's in the Comodo container/sandbox.

Click on "Secure" on the widget.

View attachment 151026

Click on Settings.

View attachment 151027

Click on Containment->Auto Containment.

View attachment 151028

Click on Add.

View attachment 151029

Select Ignore in the top drop down.

View attachment 151030

Edit.

View attachment 151031

Find Bluestacks.exe in the program folder.

View attachment 151032

Click OK and exit settings. Try Bluestacks again to see if it is running outside of the container. I think this will fix the problem, but you may need to add a HIPs rule too unless HIPs is off.

tanx a lot still not working.. i tried adding exe , folder still nothing.. i thing its a problem of bluestack..
i read few sites they dont recommend to install bluestack with any VM installed... i think in proactive mode bluestack understand comodo as a VM...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I think I had this same problem when I installed Bluestack a few years ago. Maybe I had a virtual machine program installed. I did get it to start eventually. Could be that Comodo is not the problem after all. Here is some information:

BlueStacks app player installation requirements.

If you even have VM software installed, apparently Bluestack can tell. Appears there can be real problems if you run Bluestack and a VM at the same time. If you do have VM software installed, you could remove that and try to reinstall. That worked in a video here, but I don't think it was the same problem.

I saw another suggestion to remove Bluestack from Program and Features and then reinstall to see if it will run then. There may be more that can be tried.

Reactions: deemanthax

RVS2

Level 3
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Comodo fw comes with lots of other installs (geekbuddy). I removed the others except Internet security essentials. Is it required for CFW?

Reactions: AtlBo

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
My final decision after heeding your comments. I settled on Comodo Firewall, and Eset AV 2017...

Do You think I made the right choice...Maybe Avast AV? I hear that Cruel Sister has cozied up to that AV.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Don't read too much into those results. As the author of the test states:
New variants might appear, and results for the next outbreak could look different.
Also the results are irrelevant if you're using Comodo Firewall with cruelsister's settings as any ransomware payload would be automatically sandboxed and unable to affect your system.
If you've got a license for ESET currently I'd suggest continuing to use it. Whether you renew that license once it's run out is your prerogative.

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Comodo with the strong settings is enough for me. I have not installed any other AV along side and I do not have Windows Defender running. I run browser sandboxed and that's all. Faster PC than when I used to run AV, after all an AV can scan all the files you open all the files read write and yet fail to protect you, so why give away performance for that?.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Guess I'm switching to Avast AV, after reading this:

You could try AppCheck Anti-Ransom for anti-ransomware, although Comodo should do the job sandboxing any malware. If you really want to go for added rw protection, you could also try 360 Document Protect. It will auto-backup your documents in case of ransomware type of behavior. AppCheck A/RW won't auto backup in the free version.

Avast might be the best companion security to Comodo FWs sandboxing/containment. For the a-v element of your security, you should be mostly looking for additional information on the programs sandboxed/contained by Comodo FW. This is in case you are thinking of installing and running something (software you know) outside Comodo's container, even though it as been contained. For more information on files and .exes I depend on 360 TS with Bitdefender and Avira engines on, while the behavior monitoring in 360 is just a plus also not in Comodo.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I also agree with AtlBo. Avast + CF can be a good combo but make sure you check "Use nested virtualization where available" in settings -> troubleshooting

if you want more speed, you can use CF with kaspersky antiransomware tool or zemana antilogger
they are noticeably faster than avast but they are not as good as avast of course :)

EDIT: don't use Kaspersky antiransomware with CF because it will become useless

Last edited:

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
it's better to try first, I have tried Avast free alongside with CFW, when a threat detected, my system was freeze for 5-10 minutes. then Avast notified that it had detected something but the vault is empty. silently on CFW HIPS log, the threat had been scanned and found malicious then successfully quarantined. it's often like this, but it's not on someone else.

CFW alone is strong real time prot. I think it's only on-demand scanner needed like HMP or ZAM.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I also agree with AtlBo. Avast + CF can be a good combo but make sure you check "Use nested virtualization where available" in settings -> troubleshooting
What is nested virtualization? Is it a setting in Avast, or in CFW?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Some people have reported conflicts with Avast, but I would attribute that to the Avast behavior shield. It is the source of most conflicts. If you have a conflict between Avast and something else, uninstall Avast behavior shield, and the prob will probably go away.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Like UIWIX, all code are running in memory.
In this circumstance, can auto-sanbox protect system?

Comodo has this which I think triggers a response in place of sandbox. Not sure what the options are in case of an alert or if it blocks the exploit you mentioned:

Anti-Shellcode Inject.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.