Advice Request Comodo firewall in combo with free AVs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Any good free antivirus+Comodo Firewall free, would you take this combo?

• Very nice free security choice and with decent protection

• Nah, I would stick with paid products

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKG2016

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2016
According to Wikipedia (Comodo Internet Security - Wikipedia):
"Comodo Internet Security (CIS) is available in three editions: Complete, Pro and a core free edition. The core edition is free and contains all security features of Pro. The Pro edition adds technical support. The Complete edition complements the feature set with encryption of transmitted data over the Internet connections and online storage for backup."

Which means the free firewall includes also the full security functionality of pro version, I have used the free product to verified it, the only annoying part is, some ads.

Considering Comodo has one of the best firewall and network attack prevention, with its additional sandbox feature combined with free AV such as Avira, Avast and Qihoo360, it should be a great combo. Now days lots of threats are online based and Trojan downloaders are more and more common. Although free products are believed to be somewhat inferior, this combo IMO is pretty damn efficient and should deliver very decent protection considering it is free of charge. (Yeh if you want maximum but not decent then stick with BD and turn ATC to max, trust me even this won't guarantee absolute safeness)

lhgamds

Level 1
Jun 26, 2014
well... since using CIS from ver 6.0, I've not got any infections.

along with CIS, if you can use virustotal website, there no need other products.

but, if you want more auto decision whether it's malware or not, I recommand to use other paid products or CFW + other free AV.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The choice of adding an AV product as an adjunct to CF really depends on the user. If a person frequently installs/runs unsigned, unknown things like Games, extensions, or apps an additional AV would be a good idea just to protect the user from themselves. The choice of the AV is somewhat trivial. The better the AV, the less work for the sandbox; the crappier the AV the more work.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
360 TS + Comodo Firewall (auto-sandbox/firewall/minor HIPS usage). I like this concept very much for now. cruelsister is right though. Running signed software is very important. Then again, who is to say that all of Comodo's trusted vendors write great software or maybe that some of them incorporate elements that are less than ideal for a user from the security standpoint? The good HIPS or behavior monitor can reveal this of even a signed program.

lhgamds

Level 1
Jun 26, 2014
above all, common sense is very important.
downloading and using safe program are more secure than using good AV etc.

I think CIS is complete security suite, so there are no needs to replace AV.

CFW have not only FW feature but sandbox, HIPS, virusscope and cloud av etc. so, if you try to replce other AV, to avoid comflicted feature just use signiture AV parts.

so, I think if you try other AVs with CFW,
Avira AV + CFW + virustotal combination are recommended.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Does virtual desktop provide similar function to secure shopping? CFW does have virtual desktop.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Running signed software is very important.
There really is nothing wrong per se in running unsigned software, you just need to check it out more carefully, that's all.

It would be nice if all the software we needed was signed, but unfortunately, a lot of the free, open-source software has no digital sigs. I assume because of the cost of getting certified.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Best Security Combo:
Cômodo Firewall Free 10 +
Forticlient free Antivirus +
VoodooShield free
Hey!
Everything except the Forticlient sounds good.
Though I haven't tried it, why choose an antivirus that makes to the bottom of the av tests?
Bitdefender (except for the lack of controls) and Avira are the most effective free ones I can bet on

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
so, I think if you try other AVs with CFW,
Avira AV + CFW + virustotal combination are recommended.

Good! Besides, one can add VooDooShield for a superior control on browsing and running of suspicious apps.
And an on demand scanner like Emsisoft Emergency kit or Zemana (premium) or Malwarebytes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I strongly disagree.

The majority of Free/Paid Antivirus can be independent from any third-party Firewall software, there have been tremendous leaps in technologies to protect users from zero-day malware whilst integrating with Windows Firewall for simplicity and ease of use.

COMODO Firewall is highly overrated by some aspects, especially when treated like the Ultimate Security software. It's not.

Would vote Other from Poll.

Opinions are my own.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Personally i love CF! Combining it with Kaspersky AV (To save my comp from myself), mbrfilter and appcheck. Kaspersky are not free but choose an AV of your choice. Should give decent protection!

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Personally i love CF! Combining it with Kaspersky AV (To save my comp from myself), mbrfilter and appcheck. Kaspersky are not free but choose an AV of your choice. Should give decent protection!
If you've been using MBRFilter since some time, can you feedback on how is it working and whether you faced any issues/interferences? Thanks.

Reactions: AtlBo

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I am using CIS at the moment but I know that their AV is rather below average.
If I would combine CFW with any other AV my vote would be Bitdefender Free as it offers basic protection so it will not overlap with any CFW features.

D

Deleted member 178

I don't criticize the security model of Comodo but the consistent unsolving of some bugs that break the whole point of using Comodo (i point the disappearing rules).

Now to give some substance to the topic , one of my favorite and most effective combo was EAM + Comodo FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.