Advice Request Comodo firewall in combo with free AVs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Any good free antivirus+Comodo Firewall free, would you take this combo?

• Very nice free security choice and with decent protection

• Nah, I would stick with paid products

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@shmu26 Could you comment a bit on CF + WSA? How was it and what was the reason to change that config? I know you used that combo + VS some time back at 2016. Asking because once again I am interested in trying CF (despite unresolved disappearing rules bug). I thought that you could give some feedback on that combo (if you haven't already, couldnt find anything on MT related to WSA and you :D ). Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: AtlBo and BugCode

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Kaspersky AV Free was released today. Might give it a try with CFW. Could be a winning combo KFAV and CFW with CS settings!

Fyi, just tried installing KFAV, and immediately it detected CFW and recommended its removal as incompatible software. Rather than proceed, and deal with possible incompatibility issues or BSOD's or similar, I aborted the installation.

So much for wishful thinking. I guess I will have to search for something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarlynx and AtlBo

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks Umbra for the affirmation. Since I had problems with WD using the GPE in my W10 Pro 64 PC, what free AV other than WD would you suggest as a complement to CFW with CS settings?

Btw, I have lifetime licenses to ZAL and Malwarebytes 3, what do you think of just using ZAL alongside CFW?

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Avast free is great. You can choose the custom installation and totally customize which elements are installed with Avast. Just get the 3 main modules and it's perfect with Comodo basically.

If you want to go light use ZAL. I have ZAM, but I would really like to try ZAL at some point. It's fairly effective against 0 week malware I should think, and Comodo should handle the rest anyway.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With Avast AV free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB+BB
Avast = AV+BB

CFW+Avast = FW+HIPS+SB+BB+AV

With BD AV Free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB+BB
BD = AV+SB+BB

CFW+BD = FW+HIPS+SB+BB+AV

With KAV Free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB+BB
KAV = AV

CFW+KAV = FW+HIPS+SB+BB+AV

Take your pick

Last edited:

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
With Avast AV free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB
Avast = AV+BB

CFW+Avast = FW+HIPS+SB+BB+AV

With BD AV Free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB
BD = AV+SB+BB

CFW+BD = FW+HIPS+SB+BB+AV

With KAV Free

CFW = FW+HIPS+SB
KAV = AV

CFW+KAV = FW+HIPS+SB+AV

Take your pick
Good post!

But with the CF sandbox, there is no need for AV or BB (even because COMODO's VirusScope is a kind of BB), but as some people have the need for an AV installed, I think in that case it would be best to decide one of the options that are more light on the system, with good web protection, or the company you trust the most. I really like Avast, but in this case I would stay with Kaspersky, because the company always invest in research, working with other security companies to eradicate families of malware, researching bugs and reporting to those responsible. I think it's a company that helps the Internet ecosystem more from my point of view.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Good post!

But with the CF sandbox, there is no need for AV or BB (even because COMODO's VirusScope is a kind of BB), but as some people have the need for an AV installed, I think in that case it would be best to decide one of the options that are more light on the system, with good web protection, or the company you trust the most. I really like Avast, but in this case I would stay with Kaspersky, because the company always invest in research, working with other security companies to eradicate families of malware, researching bugs and reporting to those responsible. I think it's a company that helps the Internet ecosystem more from my point of view.
You are right. Thanks. Revised CFW with BB

Viruscope, Display Pop up, internet Security, Sandbox Security Software | COMODO

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for the Avast suggestion. As I mentioned earlier, once I started installation of KFAV, it told me that CFW is incompatible.
I am going to try going light and install ZAL. It should cover everything else without being too redundant.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Considering Comodo has one of the best firewall and combined with free AV , it should be a great combo, this combo IMO is pretty damn efficient

Well at this time you can combine Comodo Firewall with Comodo Cloud Antivirus.

But The FW works great with Kaspersky, and Avira.

Reactions: ZeroDay and AtlBo

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Uninstalled ZAL, and decided to install Avast Free. Seems to be the best compromise for, and complement to CFW with CS settings. Only question that I have is that I notice Avast has a BB like CFW. Should I uninstall that or leave it?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reactions: MWNu72 and AtlBo

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks Umbra for the affirmation. Since I had problems with WD using the GPE in my W10 Pro 64 PC, what free AV other than WD would you suggest as a complement to CFW with CS settings?

Btw, I have lifetime licenses to ZAL and Malwarebytes 3, what do you think of just using ZAL alongside CFW?
I think CS herself recommended 360 TS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.