Advice Request Comodo firewall in combo with free AVs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Any good free antivirus+Comodo Firewall free, would you take this combo?

• Very nice free security choice and with decent protection

• Nah, I would stick with paid products

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I would go free anyday (that's my vote) There's no 100% protection in paid, so makes sense to go with the trusted freebies, like Avast, Comodo, Bitdefender, Avira... etc.

Even AVG and Windows Defender has been improving to good usability.

D

Deleted member 178

Yes, little think about it you are absolutely right :) . Actually many is useless with cs setting to CF.
CS settings is a good mix between security/user-friendliness ; not my cup of tea however , with Comodo i like to use its full capabilities in the tightest settings.

I would go free anyday over paid. There's no 100% protection, so makes sense to go with the trusted freebies, like Avast, Comodo, Bitdefender, Avira...

i rather pay for Appguard. Serious lockdown of the system. just my opinion ^^

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Well, i think CF + VS Free is enough, CF with cruelsister settings.
There will be some redundant space of protection from VDS as CFW at max settings will overtake some provisions of VDS protection, but for good.
Anyways yes, VDS is a great locking and whitelisting system. The VT+VooDooAI results are very insightful before running any files.
WD can be great for the combo for a basic signature protection.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
There will be some redundant space of protection from VDS as CFW at max settings will overtake some provisions of VDS protection, but for good.

So True. I am finding that some overlap is good and can provide a valuable second viewpoint.

About running apps with VS and/or CFW, as much as a-vs do with with system protection, adding an a-v to CFW seems to me like a no brainer. You have a signature recognition backdrop of protection that I find is very effective. So now, why not add AppCheck anti-ransomeware and/or Zemana Anti-logger? Its powerful that CFW gives such protection while also bringing strength to these security pieces/components via HIPS and trust.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is control of the internet. CFW does bring this in a powerful way, also. Won't get this with standard a-v or even with some of the internet security bundles (or at least not in as convenient a way as in CFW). I couldn't go without net control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parsh and shmu26

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, I am using NVT too. Good point. It's a good double take, especially for script based and unsigned processes.

Reactions: Rengar

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
I use before CIS Firewall + EAM and CIS Firewall + AviraFree. Liked that too but I have issue with Win 8.1 with Comodo so I replaced.

Reactions: AtlBo

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
+1 for it, old members here will remember it was my first famous combo , i converted many followers in my cult because of it. :D

I did like it before. It felt safe always but when I upgrade to Win 8.1 and Comodo did not help me with crashes I replaced it.

Reactions: AtlBo

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
So True. I am finding that some overlap is good and can provide a valuable second viewpoint.
If you're saying that using VDS and CFW for overall protection is good, yes it should be. But when the precise overlap of blocking of unknown and unsigned files is concerned, it's meaningless.
Mostly, the AI module of VDS also becomes redundant if you're already auto-sandboxing unknown files, except that the AI can yield a worthy insight in cases like digitally tempered files.

About running apps with VS and/or CFW, as much as a-vs do with with system protection, adding an a-v to CFW seems to me like a no brainer. You have a signature recognition backdrop of protection that I find is very effective. So now, why not add AppCheck anti-ransomware and/or Zemana Anti-logger? Its powerful that CFW gives such protection while also bringing strength to these security pieces/components via HIPS and trust.
Well, if one is already adding a nice AV alongside CFW (to take care of out-of-the-sandbox activities), do we need AppCheck or Zemana? :) Did I miss something?

Something I haven't seen mentioned is control of the internet. CFW does bring this in a powerful way, also. Won't get this with standard a-v or even with some of the internet security bundles (or at least not in as convenient a way as in CFW). I couldn't go without net control.
So true! Strongest of the AVs might block some mischievous apps from running, preventing access to known dirty sites, but overall Net Control is quite important.
Here, besides CFW, I prefer a strong FW control like Private Firewall, TinyWall or Binisoft.
If the FW includes process detection and resource management, or HIPS, that's a bonus!

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
If you've been using MBRFilter since some time, can you feedback on how is it working and whether you faced any issues/interferences? Thanks.

Must have missed your request..
Been running MBRFilter since sometime in Januari now i think in the configuration in post #15. No issues what so ever! Sorry for taking so long to respond......

Reactions: AtlBo and Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Must have missed your request..
Been running MBRFilter since sometime in Januari now i think in the configuration in post #15. No issues what so ever! Sorry for taking so long to respond......
Np, thanks for the feedback!
I had concerns because I read this at some site:
(After installation..) If things worked well, Windows should boot again and you can start using the system like before. The only thing that you need to be aware of is that the driver will prevent writes to sector 0 on all drives, including those that you may authorize. You may run into issues for instance when initializing new drives on the machine.
Though its not a common case, I wasn't sure if there are some unexpected issues following.
I formatted everything and switched back to GPT now.

Reactions: nclr11111 and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
If you're saying that using VDS and CFW for overall protection is good, yes it should be. But when the precise overlap of blocking of unknown and unsigned files is concerned, it's meaningless.
Mostly, the AI module of VDS also becomes redundant if you're already auto-sandboxing unknown files, except that the AI can yield a worthy insight in cases like digitally tempered files.

Well, if one is already adding a nice AV alongside CFW (to take care of out-of-the-sandbox activities), do we need AppCheck or Zemana? :) Did I miss something?

Its probably mostly just me, but I like to see inside processes, even signed ones. Dont like very much some of the practices of programmers, although I dont find it a problem for the most part. Mostly, I like to see which Windows apps a given program is making use of, so I can be more aware when it comes to the use of that/each particular element of Windows. Its about being able to make reliable decisions in this case. I run NVT ERP exclusively for this reason, even though it's overlapped in many ways by Comodo.

Reactions: Parsh

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Obviously Kaspersky Antivirus isn't free but is anyone running it with Comodo firewall?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Obviously Kaspersky Antivirus isn't free but is anyone running it with Comodo firewall?
I am not knocking Kaspersky's impressive detection rate, but the unique feature that really makes it stand out as a security product is the Application Control module. You don't have that with KAV. So you are missing the best of Kaspersky. Not sure it is worth the money.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I am not knocking Kaspersky's impressive detection rate, but the unique feature that really makes it stand out as a security product is the Application Control module. You don't have that with KAV. So you are missing the best of Kaspersky. Not sure it is worth the money.
I'm currently using KIS and I already have a licence for KAV, so I was thinking of uninstalling KIS even though I'm extremely happy with it and trying CF with KAV. I do agree application control is one of the best Kaspersky features and also TAM as you said not available in Kav. I used Comodo for a long time and I'd like to try CF 10 out, I was going to run it with BD free but if KAV works fine with Comodo firewall I might give that a go. I got both my Kaspersky licences extremely cheaply.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm currently using KIS and I already have a licence for KAV, so I was thinking of uninstalling KIS even though I'm extremely happy with it and trying CF with KAV. I do agree application control is one of the best Kaspersky features and also TAM as you said not available in Kav. I used Comodo for a long time and I'd like to try CF 10 out, I was going to run it with BD free but if KAV works fine with Comodo firewall I might give that a go. I got both my Kaspersky licences extremely cheaply.
sounds good.
I think I tried that combo once, and it worked, it was with COMODO 8.

Reactions: ZeroDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.