Advice Request Comodo firewall in combo with free AVs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Any good free antivirus+Comodo Firewall free, would you take this combo?

• Very nice free security choice and with decent protection

• Nah, I would stick with paid products

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Uninstalled ZAL, and decided to install Avast Free. Seems to be the best compromise for, and complement to CFW with CS settings. Only question that I have is that I notice Avast has a BB like CFW. Should I uninstall that or leave it?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

CS runs with HIPS off. That leaves you with no BB in Comodo basically. With CS' CFW settings I would recommend leaving the Avast BB on. Valkyrie is next to nothing at this point (literally). Eventually, it will monitor sequences of behaviors or at least I think that's the plan. Viruscope has been voluntarily explained by Comodo as there only to gather information on what it would block if it were on. It's 100% off. That leaves you with HIPS for BB in CFW.

I have Avast in hardened mode aggressive settings all shields on. Partly I don't trust the stability of Comodo but then if you won't have HIPS on, I would leave Avast's BB on personally. It's very quiet and very effective and the program as a whole too...

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Well just before I installed Avast, I decided to try KFAV anyway, might be missing something.

Installed KFAV, ignored incompatibility warning, and added Comodo to all exclusion and trusted file lists in KFAV. Did the same in Comodo with containment and firewall.

Running for a few hours, and performed a Full Scan. No FPs or conflicts with Comodo.

Like they say, you don't know if you don't try. I can always uninstall it and install Avast later, and in the event of catastrophe and BSOD, I have a system and partition backup to reverse everything.

Again, I appreciate all your suggestions. Everyone is very helpful on this forum and website.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Like they say, you don't know if you don't try. I can always uninstall it and install Avast later, and in the event of catastrophe and BSOD, I have a system and partition backup to reverse everything.

Running something with Comodo it's mostly about the sigs. Kaspersky has you there with KFAV. Then you will probably run something outside of containment that Comodo doesn't recognize. Still chances are decent Kas will have you covered if it's malware or PUP. It's an appealing choice and option honestly.

Hope it works out for you, cause it sounds nice :).

Reactions: brambedkar59

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
KAV + Comodo at same time = 2 active HIPS = potential conflicts (drivers, etc...) = no way i will ever do that.
they call it Application Privilege Control in System Watcher :
System Watcher in Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2018
@SearchLight mentioned about installing the new Kaspersky AV Free (KAF) not KAV. KAF doesn't have the System Watcher module.

@SearchLight Kaspersky installers will always show incompatibility alert (to avoid any potential conflicts) when installing on systems with already present AV suites, including CFW. You can continue installing and see if it works out with CFW as some others have said here. Add exclusions of each other in both programs. EDIT: I see you've already done this. Do update us with any future issues or conflicts.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i try kaspersky and comodo firewall, When i try to install kasper says is incompatible and recomend remove. I really like to use comodo and kaspersky but i dont use it. I see some components of kaspersky are blocked by comodo and i have to unlock manually

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
I am using comodo free firewall + bitdefender free antivirus + kaspersky free antivirus..

A lot of people here want to use comodo free firewall + kaspersky free.

So here's how you should configure it in comodo firewall.

When installing kaspersky antivirus choose install anyway after asking you ro remove comodo firewall
Go to comodo firewall settings
Application rules
Allow TCP or UDP for avpui.exe, avp.exe.
Thats it folks now it wont restrict kaspersky free antivirus or sandbox it when running.
I tested it and 100% working fine

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
But I must say that their Heuristics have seldom impressed me very much for the last 10 years or so
that I have been uploading samples to Jotti and VT.
I feel they are lagging a lot behind other AV's Generics & Heuristics.
Just my 2 cents, I am by no means a KAV basher.

You surprise me with this @MWNu72. Avast keeps scoring in the tests. What about Avast? Seems like the program has come a long way in the last five years. So Bitdefender is the best?

BTW, what exactly does Generics and Heuristics refer to...standard recognition/detection of malware?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You surprise me with this @MWNu72. Avast keeps scoring in the tests. What about Avast? Seems like the program has come a long way in the last five years. So Bitdefender is the best?
BTW, what exactly does Generics and Heuristics refer to...standard recognition/detection of malware?
I'm sure you have an idea, yet, these are the technical descriptions given by Emsisoft that he should be referring to ;)
Generic, Gen: refers to a generic malware detection. Can be detected by signature definitions or heuristics. Can be malicious, but can sometimes be a benevolent “False Positive.” We advise you to scan a generic detection at Virustotal.com or to send it to us for further analysis.
Heuristic: a detection made by our heuristic engine. This means that the detection is based on the analysis of the file’s code. Heuristic detections are not in the AV's cloud database, but have malicious characteristics and are therefore considered dangerous to the computer.

comodo free firewall + bitdefender free antivirus + kaspersky free antivirus..
Two considerable AVs in realtime, that too beside CFW. Why-O-Why?

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
Bitdender free doesnt come with a sandbox its comodo firewall that sandboxes unknown apps based on the rating given by comodo firewall and runs in a container so that your system wont get infected..

Reactions: MWNu72 and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I'm sure you have an idea, yet, these are the technical descriptions given by Emsisoft that he should be referring to ;)
Generic, Gen: refers to a generic malware detection. Can be detected by signature definitions or heuristics. Can be malicious, but can sometimes be a benevolent “False Positive.” We advise you to scan a generic detection at Virustotal.com or to send it to us for further analysis.
Heuristic: a detection made by our heuristic engine. This means that the detection is based on the analysis of the file’s code. Heuristic detections are not in the AV's cloud database, but have malicious characteristics and are therefore considered dangerous to the computer.

Is heuristic scanning actually done all/mostly statically (during a static standalone scan routine)? Once it starts to run then it's HIPS I should guess...unless something prompts the a-v to scan program files like a tmp or something in the program's folder.

Reactions: MWNu72

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
I wanted to check whether they both are working fine on a system so installed kaspersky free today and they work like a charm.. I didnt notice any lag or any conflicts at all. so will keep it as long as they do not conflict with each other. Bitdender free is cloud and does not use much memory and kaspersky free also looks like cloud so you can have them both. FYI My ram is 4 gb DDR2 with core 2 duo processor.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Bitdender free doesnt come with a sandbox its comodo firewall that sandboxes unknown apps based on the rating given by comodo firewall and runs in a container so that your system wont get infected..

Thx. I looked twice when I first read @HarborFront's post earlier, but forgot to ask. I think he must have a made a typo to include SB with BD free.

Reactions: Parsh and budda

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Is heuristic scanning actually done all/mostly statically (during a static standalone scan routine)? Once it starts to run then it's HIPS I should guess...unless something prompts the a-v to scan program files like a tmp or something in the program's folder.
Heuristic scan is primarily an analysis of the code of files being scanned, and any known bad code statements or patterns (the file might not have been caught by mere definitions) is flagged by heuristics engine. So I think Heuristic scanning is done on static scan (for whatever part of code of the file that is actually readable) and dynamically over any newly discovered code.
Upon execution, any implementation of code (ie. actions or behavior) will definitely be monitored by the behavior watching components of the suite including the HIPS.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Cool I really like to use that combo but i dont feel ok whith this kaspersky alert. I think kaspersky must remov this alert because really thecnically not must have conflict.
Comodo=FW, Hips, Sandbox
KAF= AV

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Cool I really like to use that combo but i dont feel ok whith this kaspersky alert. I think kaspersky must remov this alert because really thecnically not must have conflict.
Comodo=FW, Hips, Sandbox
KAF= AV
It is the responsibility of the AV vendors to avoid any potential conflicts and the user whining about any losses after he/she installs multiple AV suites and things mess up at some point of time!
Hence, they need to keep incompatibility alerts. Not every user in the world is experienced and educated about the working of these AVs and they might not know about adding exclusions or how to resolve things once a problem has occurred. Then some of them might post on AV forums or simply consider a Windows reinstall. This isn't good is it?
Besides, these things aren't technically as simple as they look by definition of their work.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
So I think Heuristic scanning is done on static scan (for whatever part of code of the file that is actually readable) and dynamically over any newly discovered code.
Upon execution, any implementation of code (ie. actions or behavior) will definitely be monitored by the behavior watching components of the suite including the HIPS.

Thx for the clarification. I think this is where is Avast shines...heuristics. If set to do the deep scans, it seems really effective and light on FPs too. I guess it's partly 7M sigs in the cloud database or whatever, but seems Avast has the inside track with heuristics atm. Still wish I could try BD, but I don't want to shake the apple cart right now.

In my experience, Avast has a very unique and good *.zlb unpacker and detection routines regarding *.zlb
that I find most other AV seriously lack quite a bit.
Edit1: And I have always believed and seen strongly that Avast is a Great AMW indeed!
Ironically enough, I have never tried it, I do not understand why, but there it is. ;/

I'm running Qihoo 360 TS on this main system. I know what you mean about there you have it. The ad situation breaks my heart, because I feel less and less I should recommend the program, even though they have a very good start. Hard to tell someone they have to block part of their security program to be able to use it effectively. Anyway, I've been using it on various systems for 5 years now after switching from Avast. It's only become ad crazy over the last 8-10 months I guess.

Avast is good if not mildly heavy when set to do the hard work. It scans during video playback...the works. But what can be asked from a free software that Avast doesn't deliver :)? I guess it can get better, but it does seem good at this point. Love hardened mode...:D:)

Reactions: MWNu72 and Parsh
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.