Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.8012 Released

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Comodo is dead?
I think this is a bit of a grey area. Their main focus is their business products these days and while the last update was early to mid last year, it's still supported and the devs still try and deal with user issues on those forums. There is a list of bugs which I think they are working on but not a lot of communication on that.

Anyway, CF/CIS does what it does very well and containment still protects you from even the latest ransomeware and viruses when it's setup with @cruelsister 's config and still blocks 100% of all of the avlab tests @Adrian Ścibor posts The November 2021 Results - Advanced In The Wild Malware Test and was one of their products of the year for 2020, I expect the same for 2021 when that award gets put out

I'd love to see some more from them, maybe so more UI themes though they have a handful already and some of the more important bugs fixed.

So to answer your question, a lot of people think it is but just because there hasn't been updates lately, doesn't mean it isn't still good and it still runs without to many resources though the web protection cavwp has had some CPU spikes on some machines. FYI - the web protection only works on http not https in most cases but still useful. In comparison, MD with CD set to high uses about 250MB of ram on idle.

1641706702001.png

I like product and have used it for years and the firewall can combine with most AVs pretty well if you whitelist each other. I use it off and on these days with MD and H_C being my alternative setup but it's still something I go back to often.

Use what works for you ;)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Reading the official forums, it seems that they are not very aggressive about updates. I have the impression that it has not evolved significantly since ver.4. If there is an update, I think it is official support for win11 and improvement of small bugs.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Comodo Firewall (CS settings) and WiseVector StopX. That's it for me. Even if Comodo stopped supporting the free CIS/Firewall, with the correct settings it would be a long, long time before it became obsolete. I don't see the need for constant upgrades with this kind of firewall, unless they're looking to rope in more sales. It works; it's worked for years, and personally with Cruelsister's settings, I wouldn't feel outgunned if mine was 3 or 4 versions old. It's how it works, not how new it is.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo Firewall (CS settings) and WiseVector StopX. That's it for me. Even if Comodo stopped supporting the free CIS/Firewall, with the correct settings it would be a long, long time before it became obsolete. I don't see the need for constant upgrades with this kind of firewall, unless they're looking to rope in more sales. It works; it's worked for years, and personally with Cruelsister's settings, I wouldn't feel outgunned if mine was 3 or 4 versions old. It's how it works, not how new it is.
I just installed CIS to my sisters laptop, default settings all good. They already answered on comodo official forums that they are working with the reported bugs and are releasing new version in future. It probably just takes time because it will be windows 11 ready for sure.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Jetico? I thought they were long gone at least 8 or 10 years ago. It was a great firewall. I used it a dozen or so years ago. I thought it stopped with XP.
It seems that it was officially supported until win8. When it was free in later years, I used it in 7 environments for a short period of time.
Currently, the official page is gone, and some functions are not working, but there seems to be no problem in controlling communication.

In the case of comodo as well, if you do not need to obtain data or lists via communication, I think it is possible to continue using it for a long period of time as well.

Reactions: Nevi and Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Anyone has ever seen comodo detecting autoruns ( this is false positive in picture), but unable to whitelist? Unable to do anything than just wait them for whitelist it during xxxxx time?

comodo23423342.png

Edit 2 : i feel dumb now it did not flag them as threats as it did during first scan :rolleyes:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Anyone has ever seen comodo detecting autoruns ( this is false positive in picture), but unable to whitelist? Unable to do anything than just wait them for whitelist it during xxxxx time?

View attachment 263720

Edit 2 : i feel dumb now it did not flag them as threats as it did during first scan :rolleyes:

I think I've seen similar when I used to use OneDrive but not something I've seen often. The default inder Advanced Protection >> Miscellaneous is to ignore unrecognized autoruns. If your having to whitelist them then it may be some other issue.

1642696021987.png

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Well, I had a weird experience with Comodo Firewall a few days ago. Booted up and no Comodo and no Internet. Comodo Firewall was there, just not showing a GUI. Tried rebooting several times with no luck, and attempted an uninstall with HiBit Uninstaller and then Revo (free). It wouldn't uninstall with either.

I finally restored a week old image I have on my external hard drive, then downloaded Comodo's uninstall tool and took Comodo off my system. I've never had anything like that happen before with any software. No idea what caused it.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Well, I had a weird experience with Comodo Firewall a few days ago. Booted up and no Comodo and no Internet. Comodo Firewall was there, just not showing a GUI. Tried rebooting several times with no luck, and attempted an uninstall with HiBit Uninstaller and then Revo (free). It wouldn't uninstall with either.

I finally restored a week old image I have on my external hard drive, then downloaded Comodo's uninstall tool and took Comodo off my system. I've never had anything like that happen before with any software. No idea what caused it.
Some people have had random issues with it. Might be down to configuration getting corrupted somehow or you updated it from an old version and that caused issues. I do fresh installs and use the official uninstaller when there's a new version out and thankfully haven't had the disappearing icon issue. I'm hoping for at least a coding update and/or a few bug fixes this year but not holding my breath over it. Hope your fresh install continues to work.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I haven't reinstalled Comodo. Might look for an older version. I ran v11 for a long time and no problems at all. I'll have to check to see if I've still got the .exe saved. Just install that one and block the update. I don't know what caused the GUI to vanish. I have never had that happen with any software before. The program was running, so I suppose I could have left it and been protected, but I didn't want to take the chance.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I haven't reinstalled Comodo. Might look for an older version. I ran v11 for a long time and no problems at all. I'll have to check to see if I've still got the .exe saved. Just install that one and block the update. I don't know what caused the GUI to vanish. I have never had that happen with any software before. The program was running, so I suppose I could have left it and been protected, but I didn't want to take the chance.
Ah okay. There are lots of things on that bug list for them to fix. I've had it where Comodo didn't run on a reboot though the processes were active in the background. It blocked test file download so I was still protected. Comodo does have it's program glitches and faults which is why I end up switching to other default deny options like Hard_Configurator but having used Comodo Firewall 2.0 and Comodo antivirus 1.0 it's easy togo back to it. Hopefully we'll see some updates from Comodo devs soon.

The thing I hate about Comodo is the antivirus engine, which I think is pretty bad...
Fortunately, the Sandbox / Firewall / HIPS makes up for it
Comodo's AV has never really been it's strong point ever since Defense+ (Containment) was developed but it's quickat onaccess scanning and all the bits of Comodo is what makes it good though it's all incorporated into the product these days (e.g boclean, memory firewall etc). It doesn't work like most AVs but sandboxing is used more and more these days. Interesting how heuristics are disabled by default with CAV.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
"comodo farewell"...It's not easy.
Previously you could get an old version of the offline installer from filehippo, but now it doesn't seem to work.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
"comodo farewell"...It's not easy.
Previously you could get an old version of the offline installer from filehippo, but now it doesn't seem to work.
You could be right, or until an upgrade is announced. I've looked all over for version 11, or even 10, with no luck - except for some sites that look and sound kind of shady, which I won't use.

Reactions: Mjolnir and show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.