Status
Not open for further replies.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Comodo was not really dead, but 2 years without update seems quite dead to many of its loyal users.

Anyway, Melih, Comodo's CEO, has just reassured that Comodo is not abandoned and promises good news is coming this year and beyond.
Because the people have been constantly working on the underlying technology non stop. Just the Packaging called "CIS" has not been updated.
We currently have people working on it, but can't give you a date yet. Need some UI guys to finalize few things. We are on this!
Currently the guys are working on Win10-11 h2 support and MS AV listing ...all for consumer products...as well as a brand new UI along with some new features....we might deliver these in pieces or all in one....waiting to hear.
We are aiming for 2 releases this year.
one in spring and the other in summer (fingers crossed, dev teams are still finalizing dates)....

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Countradicting quotes

Melih1 said:
An internal project has been started to update the consumer version.
They are building a timeline as to when the public release will be, then the announcement will follow.
Meaning project has been started and a planning has to be made, so it is still in early days

Melih2 said:
Because the people have been constantly working on the underlying technology non stop. Just the Packaging called "CIS" has not been updated.
We currently have people working on it, but can't give you a date yet. Need some UI guys to finalize few things.
Meaning with a recompile and some UI updates we are good to go, new version will be out soon

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
With all due respect, it's kind of ridiculous to minimize more than 2 years without Comodo updates.
Even worse is to think that user critics are related just to GUI.
The true is that the list of Comodo bugs is endless! It has more than 2 years in the grave... unacceptable for a security software.
And denial or fanboyism... are not going to help.
Just remember that security reputation of any software is not based on "trust". Users need facts. And Comodo facts are more than 2 years without updating or fixing tons of bugs.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
OK but Comodo has a history of issuing weird (false? maybe!) statements in the past. No one doubts Comodo protection capabilities, CF is superb in it's ability to stop all kinds of malware! It's just the way the company has been run with no updates to software in years that's the issue. The problem is how do you make money from software like CF and it's hard, they have pretty much failed with their paid AV offering/sold their CA business so I'm really not sure what options are left.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Firewall controls communication
Suspicious files that slip through communication are deployed in a virtual state
Behavior is monitored and can be forced to terminate if determined to be malicious

It is not yet time to go to the grave. It is my hope that these functions will mature in a simple way. Personally, I believe that functions such as detection are a bonus, and that the core of comodo lies in the firewall.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
How secure is the actual Comodo software code if it has received no updates in 2 years?
Since there isn’t any malware specially targeted to escape comodo sandbox because of many reasons from malware devs usually being script kids to low userbase of the product
so unless there is a targeted attack y are probably safe

stops all currently known malware In the wild with its sandbox on restricted

And like 99% of future malware

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
How secure is the actual Comodo software code if it has received no updates in 2 years?
Also, when I last looked, it did not even officially support Windows 11 yet, and Comodo said so in the description somewhere; I assume that is still the case, but I could be wrong.

Even though some say that it will run, who knows if all the protection really works 100% or not.

I remember back when Bitdefender Antivirus Free did not support Windows 10 at first, it would install, but in tests its protection was lower because it was not fully compatible with Windows 10 yet at that point.

So perhaps it is the same with Comodo.

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Regardless of whether Comodo has any bugs or not I would use CF with Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 and 11 with no problems and with everything enabled and even HIPS. Unfortunately no decent firewall has emerged on the same level that replaced CF, I don't even think there will be another one like it. The good firewalls they had have been discontinued. I am hoping that Comodo will keep working and getting updates for at least a decade. Well that's what I hope.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Regardless of whether Comodo has any bugs or not I would use CF with Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 and 11 with no problems and with everything enabled and even HIPS. Unfortunately no decent firewall has emerged on the same level that replaced CF, I don't even think there will be another one like it. The good firewalls they had have been discontinued. I am hoping that Comodo will keep working and getting updates for at least a decade. Well that's what I hope.
Indeed i don’t think there is a client side consumer firewall that is as good as comodo at all especially “freeware “

Hope Comodo get it together. It's a mess now, even its enterprise version is full of bugs.
yeah product is a mess and who knows if they will downgrade the free version since the rebrand

vaccineboy

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
I wonder if they will keep the free version? They might make it paid only at the start or keep it like that.
Melih is very assuring about keeping the free version.
I think now that they appear to gain some traction with the corporate version, they might be more motivated to maintain the free consumer version, to leverage on the community intelligence (samples, telemetry etc) like what Avast and Kaspersky are doing. I think vendors who abandon the free consumer market are missing out.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I also find it strange that a web browser (Dragon), which I don't know how much more in demand than this software, which has many supporters, is updated from time to time as if it were a memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.