Tutorial Configuring Piriform Software To Be Fully Automatic

Last Updated: 8th November 2012

TpFlP.png

Piriform is best known for its freeware program CCleaner. They also made Defraggler, a disk defragmentation tool that can be used to defragment folders and files too. It has received positive views on many websites.
CCleaner alone has been installed more than 950 million times onto nearly 25% of all the PCs in the world.

View Piriforms About Page

Getting Started

This guide will be focused on easily setting up CCleaner and Defraggler to be fully automatic on your Windows based PC.

If you don't have CCleaner or Defraggler, You can download them from the official download pages below.

System Requirements: Runs on Microsoft Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP. Including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Download CCleaner | Download Defraggler

13EHv.png
CCleaner Guide

(Images in this guide are hidden in Spoiler tags, Be sure to click Show Spoiler to see them.)

1. Let's open up the CCleaner interface.

2. Click on the 'Options' tab.

3. Tick the box that says "Run CCleaner when the computer starts"

KKmLm.gif

What does this do? - The next time you power on your PC (After a restart or shutdown) and login to Windows. CCleaner will automatically perform a clean that won't require any interaction from you.

Advanced Guide To Auto Customization

The above step is simple and straight forward, However we can further customize what we would like CCleaner to do automatically, To do this, We are going to use Windows Task Scheduler to access advanced options.

I have uploaded my own Task Scheduler file for you to use. This can be easily modified to your likings, This is done to save time and a bunch of steps.

Download | CCleaner Auto.xml (6.0KB)

1. Open Task Scheduler. This can be done easily by pressing the Windows Key + R key on your keyboard. This will open the Run Window, Enter the code below inside the Run Window and click OK.

Code:
control schedtasks
2. Inside the Task Scheduler Library Window. Right click and click Import Task. Select CCleaner Auto.xml that you downloaded.

r9sHW.gif

After opening CCleaner Auto.xml, A Window like this should show.

eVPZ4.png

To make things easier for the both of us, I've already created some Trigger presets that can be accessed by clicking on the Triggers tab.

iTcYC.png

3. These Triggers are all disabled, You can choose to enable any selected one by clicking on either Trigger and then clicking the Edit button.

For this guide I'm going to choose "Daily - At 8:00PM every day" and Enable it by ticking the Enabled box inside the Edit Trigger Window.

gu4rt.png

Further Configurations We Can Apply

Auto Clean your PC when left idle | Image Link

Save battery usage on Laptops | Image Link

Information About Command Lines / Arguments (Optional)

You'll notice in the Actions tab I have added 3 command lines to the end of CCleaner.exe

ifH9l.png

What do they mean?

/AUTO - Runs the cleaner upon loading and then closes the application.
/S - Runs the program in Silent mode, Meaning the interface of CCleaner won't show or disturb you.
$(Arg0) - UAC (User Account Control) bypass. So you won't have to see the UAC window or click Allow if you have UAC enabled, A must have for AUTO Triggers.

>> To see more Command Lines and Arguments. Click here.

That covers the CCleaner part of this guide.

FlCa9.png
Defraggler Guide

Defraggler on the other hand is alot more easier to configure since the program itself already has a suitable scheduler built in.

This can be accessed by clicking Schedule within the Defraggler interface by clicking the Settings option.

ngX47.png

By using what you've learnt with Windows Task Scheduler, You can apply the same use in Defraggler's Scheduler as they are very much alike.

You can see my settings in the example images below.

xx9aL.png
K8TtW.png

There's not much else to cover with Defraggler :)

---

Enhance CCleaner's cleaning abilities with CCEnhancer

kg4wy.png

CCEnhancer is a small tool which adds support for over 900 new programs into the popular program CCleaner. The tool uses the winapp2.ini system built into CCleaner to easily add new rules and definitions for programs. The rules were sourced mainly from the Piriform Support Forum, with several sourced from other places around the internet.

Download Here (266KB)
Please make sure to read the Disclaimer!

I hope you've found this guide I've written myself helpful, If any images/links become broken, Please tell me right away.

If you have any questions or need help, Drop a post. Cheers. ;)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Configuring Piriform Software To Be Fully Automatic will this work on Windows 8 X64 O.S.?
Are the steps different? Because I can seem to get it work?

tipo

Level 6
Jul 26, 2012
maybe it was posted maybe it wasn`t. i didn`t have the time to read through the whole thread. sorry for that!
is there any chance to make ccleaner run everytime google chrome closes? i`m on xp.
again sorry if this or something like it was already posted!
cheers!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Moose said:
Configuring Piriform Software To Be Fully Automatic will this work on Windows 8 X64 O.S.?
Are the steps different? Because I can seem to get it work?

Yes this guide works for Windows 8 32-bit / 64-bit, I am on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and I have CCleaner functioning automatically fine. The screenshots in the guide were taken on Windows 8 :)

tipo said:
maybe it was posted maybe it wasn`t. i didn`t have the time to read through the whole thread. sorry for that!
is there any chance to make ccleaner run everytime google chrome closes? i`m on xp.
again sorry if this or something like it was already posted!
cheers!

I'm not sure on that, Wouldn't be surprised if there was some way of doing so but I don't know how to sorry. So my minimal way of performing that would be to make a shortcut on the desktop to CCleaner than at the end add /AUTO (Example: "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO) when you double click on the shortcut it will automatically run CCleaner and start cleaning. Or for Windows 8, If you have the CCleaner tile on the Start Screen, Right click on it > Open File Location > and then do the same as above for that shortcut which will be shown to you.

Now when ever you're done with Chrome, Take 2 seconds to click on that shortcut and you're done. :)

Example screenshot:

rcirra.png

Bl4cK1911

Apr 1, 2012
Oh, that horizontally cursor move over a text reminds me of your tutorials :)
Great tutorial, I'm going to use it on my XP.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Is there a method I can use for Chrome, where the Cache, Download History and Browser History (but NOT Cookies) are cleared automatically upon close?

Thanks. :D