Creators Update Free Edition (Unofficial Bloatware-Free ISO Download)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As long it came from known source then why not?

Customized ISO are not literally dangerous, however make sure it does not contain any bundled programs nor incompatibility files that may link to improper process of installation.

Since VM is widely available then why not test it for possible observation, if the remove built in programs will return from a major updates. ;)

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
IMHO you should download the UNMODIFIED ISO (preferably from MS) and then you should obtain the hash of the relevant ISO from MSDN and compare it to the hash of the SO you downloaded. That way you are guaranteed to have an original/unaltered ISO from MS and you can alter it all you want after that.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
IMO,
I would avoid using the ISO as its not worth the hassle of sorting errors/crashes out if it becomes unstable.
Better off installing the real ISO and tweaking it yourself!
But there is one problem. Even if I install original ISO (downloaded from MS) and tweaked it after installation, most of the settings will be reset after larger Windows Updates. Then I'd need to tweak everything again which would last until next larger update.

The only thing that we don't know yet is will larger updates install everything that we removed in ISO.

Reactions: askmark and frogboy

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
When reinstalling my machine with Windows 10 I decided AGAINST any modifications (like removing Cortana, telemetry etc) as I have tried this before and had various issues.

So now I use AppLocker and/or Windows Firewall to block things I don't want to run and disable what I can in Local Group Policy.

Reactions: askmark

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
But there is one problem. Even if I install original ISO (downloaded from MS) and tweaked it after installation, most of the settings will be reset after larger Windows Updates. Then I'd need to tweak everything again which would last until next larger update.

The only thing that we don't know yet is will larger updates install everything that we removed in ISO.
Either way MS will reset everything, so my point still stands!

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
You can always use tweaking tools to boost Windows as per your needs.
I always used Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10 for this.

Legal, safe (just really know what you are tweaking), import-export tweaks for later re-use, after a major version upgrade for example (or even on another PC) and so much more.

Disable Cortana, telemetry etc. with one click and restart.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I use group policy editor to disable cortana and the search function is still functional.

Can you post some pictures or some link how to do that?

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Can you post some pictures or some link how to do that?

Much more easier and faster:

53466c7d9e2c4e95b3e262cb7fd63eaf.png

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I will never trust those "custom made" version, who know what they may "silently" added...

I will rather do it myself.
I couldn't agree more.
Saving some GB's on your hard drive and some RAM can cost you a lot of sensitive data as this has been already proved in the past by some slimmed down Win XP (I don't remember the name of the build, will update the post when I find it).
Other thing is that here at MT which is security forums those kind of things should have been considered as a potential security risk and we should never recommend such installations to anyone.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search -> Allow Cortana - and you disable it

Thanks for this! I have disabled Cortana on my secure desktop build. I also don't allow "C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe" through the Windows Firewall (there are LOADS of blocks in the logs so I'm curious to see if these decrease or go away altogether after disabling Cortana).

Last edited:
Reactions: toto

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I still don't understand way people don't do that .ISO them self's?

Reactions: Vasudev
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.