May 17, 2015
666.png

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I still like this alot. Only two issues in Windows 10 that I hope the dev will improve.

1. Like some people said, right click to scan does not work if you don't have Admin privileges enabled. It will only open Crystal Security when you run through a standard user account with no admin privileges.

2. This is a bigger problem: Crystal Security has excellent detection if one malware is being downloaded or executed. But, the moment you download multiple malware files, it will only scan the first two and skip over the others even if I set the notification to 2sec. It won't scan the other files that were downloaded. This is not just a problem with Crystal Security but MANY anti-malware programs out there. You can simply flood them with malware and they will miss some.

To test this I downloaded the same and later multiple test sample files from here (they are safe test files): Feature Settings Check – Download of Compressed Malware » AMTSO

If I downloaded them one-by-one it would detect all of them in order. But, if I downloaded multiple of the same or different files simultaneously, it only detected the first and subsequent files were skipped even if they were the same file. :( Btw I have noticed the same issue with Kaspersky Free Antivirus so this is definitely not a weak point about Crystal Security alone but almost all AV's fail to stop concurrent attacks and never check again even though they detect the malware when you do a manual scan. There is even research on this:
Investigating the detection capabilities of antiviruses under concurrent attacks

Would it be possible to queue all the files downloaded for scanning so that it won't skip over them or maybe quarantine them until they have been scanned? :)

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi @DeepWeb,

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry about late reply.

1. Like some people said, right click to scan does not work if you don't have Admin privileges enabled. It will only open Crystal Security when you run through a standard user account with no admin privileges.

I'll try to re-produce it.

Would it be possible to queue all the files downloaded for scanning so that it won't skip over them or maybe quarantine them until they have been scanned?

Queue method is already implemented. There is also queue in Collective engine (10 files per minute).
I'll try to re-produce your reported issue in two ways: with and without Collective engine.

If there is any other issue, question or feedback then feel free to let me know. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

Hi @DeepWeb,

Can you please try out Shell integration feature under Standard account:
  1. Install Crystal Security under Administrator account
  2. Enable Shell integration and click on Apply
  3. Install Crystal Security under Standard account
  4. Enable Shell integration and click Apply
  5. Try to analyze file with right-click
  6. Finally you should see file under Overview section
It should work now correctly under Standard account (without admin privileges).
Shell integration data is now under ProgramData\Crystal Security.

Your feedback is much appreciated. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Any Infos for the multilanguage Version of it available when yes when will you release it

Hi @Mops21,

Thank you for the interest.
  • If no issues in Release Candidate then next version will be stable build.
  • After stable build there is a plan to start next Beta stage.
Multilingual support will be added in the next Beta stage. It should be ready within next month (September). :)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Can you check the false positive by dynamic engine when installing and running citra?
Dynamic engine generates too many false positives in case of citra.
Checking and resolving this issue may reduce the false positives.

Hi @Prayag,

Dynamic engine will be improved according to your feedback. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi @Mops21,

Thank you for the interest.
  • If no issues in Release Candidate then next version will be stable build.
  • After stable build there is a plan to start next Beta stage.
Multilingual support will be added in the next Beta stage. It should be ready within next month (September). :)

Regards,
Kardo

Hi @Kardo Kristal

Thank you very much for your Infos

I will test it when the multilanguage Version (German) is available

With best Regards
Mops21

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.