Advice Request Currently what is the best free AV?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
yeh it's basically hitman pro renamed/rebadged ... but free (no 30day removal limit)
I am surprised that they did not do this years ago, better late than never, I do which that it had the option to have it scan automatically on computer start-up like HitmanPro.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
I am surprised that they did not do this years ago, better late than never, I do which that it had the option to have it scan automaticall
you can...
just add a scheduled task using the argument you require - I set the task to run at logon, with a 2minute delay using the /quiet argument
this way it starts up, runs in notification area and closes itself.... it only pops up if anything found asking you how to deal with it. with the scheduled task you can also set it to repeat every x hours if required.

you could also just set it to delete anything found by using /clean /quiet
commands found in

1647589999565.png

similar to the above, after logon & a 15minute delay I have emsisoft eek updatesignatures and run a quickscan and a scan of downloads folder (takes 30seconds or so to complete)
after 45minutes log on delay windows delender updates signatures and does a scan of downloads folder & a quickscan. (takes 1-2minutes)
as running in lowest priority, they are not even noticeable... but is just an extra something running occasionally that has different engines/definitions scanning my downloads folder and a quickscan of stuff in memory.

with all the samples i was testing, no one of them picked up all items, but all of them together (f-secure as resident then manual quick scans sophos/emsi/wd cleaned up the rest) - again this is only testing static samples in a sdownloads folder, not active / running malware

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: goodjohnjr

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
3 different 2nd opinion scanners running on schedule every 2 hours, that is not just 'Overkill' it is 'Overkill Ultra Max Pro' version. Weekly scans with 2nd opinion scanners is more than enough, if it's not sufficient than you need to change your browsing/downloading habits.

Stay safe, not paranoidᵀᴹ

Edit: Oops forgot to answer the OP's question: Kaspersky
If people want to see another kind of “overkill”

Block_shield

Level 1
Thread author
May 9, 2021
Thanks for answers! First I thought to go with this one but today someone wrote that it ended:

There is a Bitdefender premium 1 yr for free at giveaway section: Unlimited Giveaway - Bitdefender Premium Security 2022 [1 Year || 10 Devices ]
I mean its free but it isn't you know..

But BitDefender have free version again available from today so that will be my choice.

When is the best time to get a paid antivirus? How big dicounts will be around holidays or black friday?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
you can...
just add a scheduled task using the argument you require - I set the task to run at logon, with a 2minute delay using the /quiet argument
this way it starts up, runs in notification area and closes itself.... it only pops up if anything found asking you how to deal with it. with the scheduled task you can also set it to repeat every x hours if required.

you could also just set it to delete anything found by using /clean /quiet
commands found in

similar to the above, after logon & a 15minute delay I have emsisoft eek updatesignatures and run a quickscan and a scan of downloads folder (takes 30seconds or so to complete)
after 45minutes log on delay windows delender updates signatures and does a scan of downloads folder & a quickscan. (takes 1-2minutes)
as running in lowest priority, they are not even noticeable... but is just an extra something running occasionally that has different engines/definitions scanning my downloads folder and a quickscan of stuff in memory.

with all the samples i was testing, no one of them picked up all items, but all of them together (f-secure as resident then manual quick scans sophos/emsi/wd cleaned up the rest) - again this is only testing static samples in a sdownloads folder, not active / running malware
Thank you very much KC77, I just created a task for it, I will see if it works the next time after computer startup.

Reactions: kC77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.