New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I couldn't change that parameters ...
ConfigureDefender is the source of this not possibility ?

View attachment 282264
Click on the "i" for more info:
1710669338170.png

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
It is kind of a work in progress. It is completely functional and pretty much bug free, but we are just trying to decide on which direction we are going to go with it.
You opened this thread in August 2021, seems you are taking your time to make up your mind.

I have a suggestion for you, inspired by the profiles and dynamic security postures you have mentioned in other threads on MT and CS.
  1. DUI-Pro starts up with recommended profile
  2. When a proces starts in USER FOLDERS which is NOT considered SAFE by the CL-light AI engine, it will
    a) postpone that process (I noticed in the past that Kaspersky's system watcher turned processes grey in Process Explorer to wait for the KSN-cloud verdict).
    b) switches on to aggressive profile (when in DUI-Pro is in AUTO mode) or
    c) switches to interactive profile (when in DUI-Pro is in MANUAL mode) or
    d) switches to custom profile (when DUI-Pro has a custom profile and is in CUSTOM mode) and
    e) allows that process to run and leave the decision over to Microsoft Defender with one of the three above selected profiles.
  3. After a user determined time (e.g. 5 minutes) DUI-Pro shifts back to recommended profile.
Cyberlock and DUI-pro share your idea of AI-based dynamic security postures (added protection when you are at risk is a Unique Selling Point and breakthrough idea IMO)

Differences of CyberLock with DUI-pro:
  1. CL monitors your whole system, whereas DUI-pro only monitors executions in user folders
  2. CL automatically enables a hard lock (with small local whitelist), whereas DUI-pro enables Defender's soft lock (with gigantic cloud whitelist, increasing the false negatives risk)
  3. CL uses immediate ML/AI decisions, where as Defender uses delayed ML/AI (even with block at first sight and zero tolerance on, it blocks signed malware after cloud analysis)
    In layman's terms CyberLock protects the individual, while Microsoft Defender's 'zero tolerance' cloud AI in reality protects the herd.
  4. CL instantly switches Lock ON and OFF without delay while DUI-pro postpones (delays) the suspicious process and switches back to recommended after some time has passed
  5. CL has additional security features (smarter whitelisting, sandboxing, exploit protection, etc).
Looking at the sales success of mobile phone apps, I am wondering why software developers don't use this idea of micro licensing fee's (10 million x 1 dollar is also 10 million dollar income).
Because this might be a to much forward thinking idea, I would not suggest to apply micro licensing, but use a friendly yearly license of 5 or 10 dollars annual.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm thinking that DefenderUI makes my Windows more secure, disabling this protection, what about that ?

I don't understand...
No, it's not more secure than MS Defender hardened manually or with ConfigureDefender, which is a portable app. I don't see the point of using a 3rd party app that runs fulltime. It's simply not needed.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
No, it's not more secure than MS Defender hardened manually or with ConfigureDefender, which is a portable app. I don't see the point of using a 3rd party app that runs fulltime. It's simply not needed.
DefenderUI does have DefenderGuard to prevent it being disabled though a work in progress. I agree that CD is good though and saves resources ;)

1711045664748.png

1711045635398.png

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

Except...it is needed. Without a third party app like DefenderUI Pro how is a user supposed to add ASR exclusions. Manually going it and entering them is not nearly as easy as what DefenderUI Pro offers. As someone that automates a lot via scripting, that matters to me.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
somewhat "confusing" thread to follow. my understanding: DefenderUI is NOT the same app as DefenderUI_Pro. IIRC the _Pro app includes a lite version of Voodooshield / Cyberlock.
I have used VS/CL for a long time, currently version 7.71. On computers running MS Defender I run DefenderUI with Cyberlock. I have never used the _Pro version.
Andy Ful's hardening apps are also very good.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
somewhat "confusing" thread to follow. my understanding: DefenderUI is NOT the same app as DefenderUI_Pro. IIRC the _Pro app includes a lite version of Voodooshield / Cyberlock.
I have used VS/CL for a long time, currently version 7.71. On computers running MS Defender I run DefenderUI with Cyberlock. I have never used the _Pro version.
Andy Ful's hardening apps are also very good.
Correct. If you use the lite version of DefenderUI you can combine it with CyberLock. If you are running the Pro version of DefenderUI, you should not run it together with CyberLock as it already offers a lite version of CyberLock

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
DefenderUI does have DefenderGuard to prevent it being disabled though a work in progress. I agree that CD is good though and saves resources ;)

View attachment 282386

View attachment 282385
Would be interesting to know whether DefenderUI's DefenderGuard would warn when @Andy Ful POC disables the Defender Service. When it did and it would re-enable Defender service there would be a benefit of using DUI over ConfigureDefender (@oldschool). DUI also allows you to change the update frequency, but when I tested this, that did not seem to work (@danb), Defender kept updating using the default time interval.

sypqys

Level 3
Apr 18, 2022
I have removed DefenderUI from my computer and parameters ConfigureDefender which is better if you read the stars rating on Softpedia...

Even if it significate nothing, I feel better like this...

Reactions: [correlate]

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have removed DefenderUI from my computer and parameters ConfigureDefender which is better if you read the stars rating on Softpedia...

Even if it significate nothing, I feel better like this...
I think you should use the apps you like: HOWEVER softpedia gives ConfigureDefender 3 out of 5 stars and gives DefenderUI 4+ out of 5. Unclear why you misrepresent this, not that I think softpedia stars is the gold standard to go by...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.