New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys, sorry, I have been extremely busy adding the "final" features and finishing up DefenderUI Pro and WDAC Lockdown, but we are in great shape now.

Yes, DefenderUI Free's current version is 1.22, DefenderUI Pro and WDAC Lockdown is 1.26. There is a small change for DefenderUI Pro and WDAC Lockdown that will be included in 1.27 when it is released, but it is such a small change that I will probably wait until something else needs to be fixed or changed before releasing it.

So there probably will not be any updates to any of the apps for a little while because I think all of the bugs are worked out, but if you guys find anything please let me know, thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Dan, I don't know if you knew but the changes to DefenderUI Pro came at the same time Microsoft made changes to WDAC in RTM build 26100.994!
I was not aware of this, thank you for letting me know! Are these the changes you are talking about? Has anyone tested on 26100.994?

• Fixed an issue that prevents Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) from checking some application policies.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) to report that a certain policy class is inactive or unauthorized.
It looks like these changes will not affect WDAC Lockdown, but I better make sure ;).

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
I was not aware of this, thank you for letting me know! Are these the changes you are talking about? Has anyone tested on 26100.994?

• Fixed an issue that prevents Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) from checking some application policies.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) to report that a certain policy class is inactive or unauthorized.
It looks like these changes will not affect WDAC Lockdown, but I better make sure ;).

Yup! Those are the changes I was talking about. I think you're good to go but if a patch is needed, you'll get it sorted out.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I'm currently using Emsisoft Business and would like to install DefenderUI Pro as well. Are there any problems? Has anyone tried the combination?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: simmerskool

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm currently using Emsisoft Business and would like to install DefenderUI Pro as well. Are there any problems? Has anyone tried the combination?
The main goal of DefenderUI is is configuring Microsoft Defender.
You are using Emsisoft , so you don't use Microsoft Defender.
You can use Cyberlock or WDACLockdown.
See:
1718993312149.png

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
I've never used this program, and I found its idea of allowing adjustments and improvements to Windows Defender very interesting.

Could someone please answer some questions?

Are the settings used in it applied to the entire system, or just to the specific user?

For example, if I use SUA (an admin user and another standard user) and apply the configuration to the admin user, will it also apply to the standard user?

Furthermore, when applying settings and adjustments using DefenderUI does it change the GPOs?

Thanks!! :D ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I've never used this program, and I found its idea of allowing adjustments and improvements to Windows Defender very interesting.

Could someone please answer some questions?

Are the settings used in it applied to the entire system, or just to the specific user?

For example, if I use SUA (an admin user and another standard user) and apply the configuration to the admin user, will it also apply to the standard user?

Furthermore, when applying settings and adjustments using DefenderUI does it change the GPOs?

Thanks!! :D ;)
Reading @Andy Ful 's Configure Defender Link tool description, which is similar product in it unlocking MD features, explains the features being available via GOP / Registry entries/scripts and Powershell as detailed below. CD doesn't run in the background like DefenderUI does it sets the policies and that's it whereas I think you can do a little more with DefenderUI and it's DefenderGuard is an additional protection of the MD processes.

Windows Defender settings are stored in the Windows Registry and most of them are not available from Windows Defender Security Center. They can be managed by using:
  • Group Policy Management Console (gpedit.msc is not available in Windows Home edition)
  • Direct Registry editing (manually, via *.reg files or scripts)
  • PowerShell cmdlets (set-mppreference, add-mppreference, remove-mppreference, PowerShell 5.0)
I'm not sure of your second point as I don't have multiple users on my machine but @danb will be able to clarify when he's next here.

EDIT: it can be deployed silently across a network. DefenderUI User Manual

Last edited:

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
Reading @Andy Ful 's Configure Defender Link tool description, which is similar product in it unlocking MD features, explains the features being available via GOP / Registry entries/scripts and Powershell as detailed below. CD doesn't run in the background like DefenderUI does it sets the policies and that's it whereas I think you can do a little more with DefenderUI and it's DefenderGuard is an additional protection of the MD processes.

Windows Defender settings are stored in the Windows Registry and most of them are not available from Windows Defender Security Center. They can be managed by using:
  • Group Policy Management Console (gpedit.msc is not available in Windows Home edition)
  • Direct Registry editing (manually, via *.reg files or scripts)
  • PowerShell cmdlets (set-mppreference, add-mppreference, remove-mppreference, PowerShell 5.0)
I'm not sure of your second point as I don't have multiple users on my machine but @danb will be able to clarify when he's next here.

EDIT: it can be deployed silently across a network. DefenderUI User Manual
@ErzCrz Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with the information 👏👏😄

oldschool

Level 83
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.