Battle dns0 vs NextDns

Compare list
NextDNS
dns0

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
While NextDns is a great service, I feel dns0 is providing better security. Sure , NextDNS provides control to users but dns0(founded by founders of NextDNS) has better threat intelligence feeds(NextDNS plus others listed as partners). Am I right or wrong?
Reference links:

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I think you are wrong, it seems that dns0 is just a 100 % european hosted NextDNS.

Edit:

So you are saying that you think Nextdns also has those partners or threat intelligence sources? Or did I misunderstand?
Also in the documentation for dns0 I saw they list infrastructure and threat intel providers as partners. So I don't know if they have listed Nextdns as the threat intel provider partner or infrastructure partner....

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Dns zero is more agressive than NextDNS, but what it lacks is whitelisting of domains & speed NextDNS dns has

Also on DNSbench dns0 was last , beaten by google, cloudflare, quad9, nextdns, controlD + others ( on my location obviously)

But im using Dns0 myself and so far it has zero false positives and its fast enough

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Dns zero is more agressive than NextDNS, but what it lacks is whitelisting of domains & speed NextDNS dns has

Also on DNSbench dns0 was last , beaten by google, cloudflare, quad9, nextdns, controlD + others ( on my location obviously)

But im using Dns0 myself and so far it has zero false positives and its fast enough
What about the threat intel quality?

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Sure it seems like Dns0 has more affliates so the threat intelligence would be better than NextDNS has

Its hard to say about NextDNS, probably only option to know about it is asking from customer support:unsure:
Nextdns only has a like community support, no direct customer support. I tried asking there already,no response from the Nextdns team.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

When you google a bit, you can find that DNS0 has partnerships with launching partners and two joined later
1. the launching partners NextDNS (provided DNS service), BeforeAI (cyberthreat Intelligence), Abuse_CH (threat intelligence service), Annxia (hosting for mostly large companies), Ghandinet (hosting mostly for SME)
2. joined later Proofpoint (email security) Llionc (DPI security for UTM firewall with URLblocklist and AegisLab AV)

This is quite an interesting collection of services/companies. DNS0 seems to encourage companies to become a partner with the advantage that results will be shared with the partners. When you compare the advantages of DNS0 Zero, it seems to have the same protections as NextDNS with some risky top level domains. Also when using zero DNS0 over HTTPS I get the same Annexia DNS server to resolve domains to IP addresses. It would make sense that DNS0 service uses the free unregistered NextDNS service.

Last edited by a moderator:

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I believe they both use the same servers and partners, NextDNS just does not brag about it.
But in the end, it all comes down to this: some logging vs no logging (theoretically):
I more interested in security than a "fake" privacy, otherwise I would switch to DNS0 in a heartbeat.
I am a little doubtful about if both use the same partners. As if you had noticed, dns0 had like 2-3 partners only at the beginning. Then later on others joined. So, NextDNS didn't probably have those partners who joined later on as it existed long before dns0 started. And in github, NextDNS had only mentioned once that they do use private feeds and may disclose some of them in the future.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

To easily give an overview of the partners of Quad9 and DNS0.EU, I have drawn blue rectangle around the DNS0 partners of Quad9's partner page. Next DNS is not a partner of Quad9, but I have added it because NextDNS is a founding partner of DNS0.EU. These are the partners who provide threat intelligence feeds.
1680345317398.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So I am actually considering to cancel my subscription of NextDNS that I have been using for 2+ years or so. I really love it, but it just feels like it's not their priority anymore. So I'd rather save the money and try dns0. What do you guys think?

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
NextDNS truly has become stagnant. They had like stopped giving a crap about what users say long ago. Even their beta features are still in beta since very long. Didn't even bother to make them stable yet. Dns0 may not be the same though, as it has partners who might leave if Dns0 becomes stagnant or not maintained. But Dns0 doesn't provide control, or ad blocking ( I mean with the one that doesn't block sites like reddit or twitter). If the zero.dns0.eu had ad blocking, it would be a good choice, if the ad blocking is effective enough to block most if not all ads and also don't have false positives. Maintaining such an ad block requires constant update and involvement, which isn't NextDNS/Dns0 team's strong suit.
So I would rather suggest ControlD. Its team is great. They have like a completely different take on how things should be done in respect of their duties towards their customers than NextDNS/Dns0. They are lively, always responding to customers, letting customers know what things they are working on..etc

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Well it offers a free service, with NO logging option (or logs in Switzerland), is Web3 compatible, added AI in 2021, which ran beta in 2022 and started to block stuf in 2023, is low latency, offers configurable malware and advertising protection, that is a whole lot of love when you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.