Do we really need a VPN?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I got this little Tweet and went to the link. Nothing really innovative or Earth-shattering but it did make me feel justified in NOT using a vpn. Tried one once and it slowed things down too much. My ISP offers a vpn which is amusing because in its fine print that puts you to sleep before you reach that section, it discloses that it mines and sells your browsing data. (off topic: I cannot dump this ISP fast enough. COVID delayed another competitor from establishing itself in my nabe--I can be patient and wait, as long as the end is in sight :mad:)

So, no vpn for me but I understand some of the good reasons people use them.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Not used a VPN in years.

Only those that use mobile hotspots and unsecured, public Wifi need VPN.

However, saying this is really going to be unpopular here and certain to trigger a least a few people because on the security forums there are paranoids and conspiracy theorists insisting that the governments, ISPs and corporations are hacking and tracking them to death. Meanwhile they're almost all using Windows and Android which both send huge amounts of telemetry to the OEMs.

Most people use VPN to steal content. So, for the most part, VPNs are a criminal tool to steal copyright protected content and avoid tracking. Nobody can deny it because members' admissions are posted here at MalwareTips.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Most people use VPN to steal content. So, for the most part, VPNs are a criminal tool to steal copyright protected content and avoid tracking. Nobody can deny it because members' admissions are posted here at MalwareTips.

I don't need a VPN but I use one as for me it's a layer of privacy, I don't feel inclined to explain why as the subject has been discussed millions of time - Other feel different, & choose not to use a VPN that's fine too - I managed well over 20 years without one - As for stealing copyright material these isn't one piece of unlawful material on this PC, or others - Maybe you are judging others by your own values & standards, psychologically that's common human behaviour?

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Maybe you are judging others by your own values & standards, psychologically that's common human behaviour?

I did not say "everybody." I said "most people." And by most people I mean the people (who tend to be techno geeks) that go to forums like this one. There are ample posts on multiple VPN threads here where people explain why they use VPN - and at the top of the list is grifting geo-locked copyrighted content and torrenting.

My thoughts and feelings are irrelevant.

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.