Advice Request Do you ever redo your whole OS system from scratch or back a fresh install of the OS from a image because have to but because you can and want to?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you ever redo your whole OS system from scartch ? Not because you have to but because you want to

• No

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • All the time

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I did do that quite some time ago on my main system. But I don't plan on doing that again for years if I can help it, as I prefer not having to reinstall apps. As long as my computer is running well I won't reinstall Windows. If it isn't, I'll do my best to resolve any issues before I resort to reinstalling.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
On my main PC I try not to have to re-install the Win 10 OS because of the reasons mentioned above by others. On another PC which I test a lot more software on I do re-install the OS more frequently, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Even when using uninstallers with good reputations there can be leftovers from software and even more so with anti-malware products, because they go deep into the system, even if you use the recommended same brand uninstallers. Clean installs speed up that machine quite significantly.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Four years ago, I set up my new PC and made a basic image with Macrium. No security software except Microsoft Defender. Every 2-3 months, I update or upgrade that image. Last week I upgraded to Windows 21H1 and updated Macrium. I keep 5 basic images. I can use F-Secure for many months, but this software is not a part of my basic images. Only Microsoft Defender. And Configure Defender.
This week, I use Microsoft Defender with Configure Defender and Voodooshield 6.50. In the last 4 years, I had to go back twice 6 months earlier to get rid of a bug but, most of the time, my PC stays very stable.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I create images with Macrium Reflect which I can then use to make a clean install of Windows if necessary.
I have other images containing installations of Windows plus my applications etc.

Then if I want a fresh start, I can just restore one of my saved images, let Windows perform updates, and add my personal files.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I do a clean install on a regular basis. The reason is to free up space on the c drive.
Regarding the point of reinstalling the software and restoring the environment, I am dealing with it by putting the portable version in the d drive as much as possible.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Voted "sometimes," and it's actually necessary if an Insider wants or needs to leave the Insiders program. It's as-needed.

I've had to clean install via my boot media twice within the past 13 months due to some issue that I couldn't resolve-- but not recently. I prefer NOT to reset.

My static image is actually of an older OS--like 20H2 or something. Guess I'll have to refresh it, I'll do it tomorrow (right, plat, right.:rolleyes:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.