Advice Request Do you have the COVID-19 Contact Tracing App for your country installed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you have the COVID-19 Contact Tracing App for your country installed on your phone?

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

resistance of so many wackos who won't bother to wear a mask, make tracing a laughing matter. It's simply not possible.
wearing mask is for protecting others, while the tracing app is to protect you with digital data from others.
Remember that COVID-19 aka Corona can need 14 days until symptoms are visible so the tracing app, wearing mask and keep distance are proactive defence.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
More important though, is that the sad state of tracing in the U.S. and the resistance of so many wackos who won't bother to wear a mask, make tracing a laughing matter
@security123 tracing itself is mostly broken in this country. Even the President and his staff are unable and unwilling to trace, plus resistance to masks. Their 2 recent, rather small-ish events exposed at least hundreds of people, possibly 1,000+.

Maybe folks in other countries don't realize how screwed up the U.S. is right now. Totally broken political system and government. It will take years to get past Covid-19.

I go shopping and walking. That's it!

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
We have Arogya Setu app here, it doesn't use the Google API AFAIK. I only install it when I have to travel cause it's necessary, after that I uninstall it cause it's garbage and drains battery. Even though our building had a case few weeks ago it didn't show anything in the app. What's the point if it doesn't even work.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Does a BT app work when you are using BT peripherals (earbuds, etc.)? Otherwise, I turn it off to extend the time between charges.

Can the app even recognize BT signals from multiple phones present in your location, or only "one-at-a-time"?

What happens when if one reports themself positive (when they are not). Apart from panicking others, can they "undo" this? What if after reporting themselves positive (whether they are or not), they go grocery shopping... will they set off every nearby phone using the tracking app?

And since short exposures (say, under a few minutes) to others pose little likelihood of infection, what good is the app, since passing BT signals would rarely overlap even for a minute.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does a BT app work when you are using BT peripherals (earbuds, etc.)? Otherwise, I turn it off to extend the time between charges.

Can the app even recognize BT signals from multiple phones present in your location, or only "one-at-a-time"?

What happens when if one reports themself positive (when they are not). Apart from panicking others, can they "undo" this? What if after reporting themselves positive (whether they are or not), they go grocery shopping... will they set off every nearby phone using the tracking app?

And since short exposures (say, under a few minutes) to others pose little likelihood of infection, what good is the app, since passing BT signals would rarely overlap even for a minute.
Or try it yourself and find out.

Apple and Google also have a paper explaining how their systems work.

Useful Links:
1. Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing - Apple and Google
2. Exposure Notifications: Helping fight COVID-19 - Google

No, I haven't even bothered to check out the app. I'm still tracked too much already, like everyone.
Both Apple and Google Exposure Notifications systems are implemented with privacy in mind. Linked above.

Must be different in the USA, where apps are built around NSA PRISM system. /s

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Nope, i live on country side where lives like 4000 people and the nearest city is like 80km away

We are currently automatically tested for covid, when were bit sick like flu anyways, so i dont see point installing that

But i believe in covid, and use mask etc, when in public

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
You know that the system isn't for this kind of tracking and company's can use easier ways to tracking you?
Sorry but this is just nonsense.
I agree (at least for implementation in my country). System is not easy to use for actual tracking although it's "contact-tracing" app. Data they can get from you while you're using your mobile is much bigger then data collected by this app. And even if they somehow managed to get data from this app it wouldn't give them any additional information. So there's no point for them trying to get this data.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

In the UK it is a complete failure:

So no, I haven’t personally downloaded the app, as I don’t believe it is effective enough. Here we are constantly under different forms of lockdown anyway, that’s enough action from my side. I don’t wish to be tracked and traced.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.