Assigned Do you like Zemana?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date
This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.

Do you use:

• Zemana Anti-Logger Pro

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Zemana Anti-Malware Pro

Votes: 47 61.0%
  • Zemana Anti-Logger Pro and Zemana Anti-Malware Pro

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Zemana Anti-Logger Free

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Zemana Anti-Malware Free

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Zemana Anti-Logger Free and Zemana Anti-Malware Free

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I don't use any

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I don't like any

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015
I have been suggesting Zemana on Reddit to some people, I got a PM from the mod there below. I am not gonna waste my time trying to help people there, when then Mods are sh!t.....

upload_2015-12-17_15-35-0-png.78580

-You are awesome
@Smith83 :)

R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
I've used Anti-Logger Pro for years. IMHO there is nothing in its class that can match it.

But for Anti-Malware:

Hits OpenDNS on port 53 every five seconds. (Yes, every five seconds. Unless they changed that in the last 30-45 days.) And it phones home very five minutes (as of v2.19.1.502). The merits of this connectivity can be debated.

If set to load upon system start the program version updates automatically . Or just by clicking on "Check updates." No "new version available" message. No choice as to OK or Later. No user action whatsoever for either at startup or just by one click in the UI. And on a detection, ANY detection, ZAM "will automatically start a smart scan to clean your PC." No user action whatsoever. Anyone who thinks any of that this isn't nuts is... nutso. No one can, or will ever, write a catastrophic-proof one-shoe-fits-all all-automatic threat eliminator.

This product needs a mode for expert users. Just like Anti-Logger.

Regards.

Reactions: iIda15

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I've used Anti-Logger Pro for years. IMHO there is nothing in its class that can match it.

But for Anti-Malware:

Hits OpenDNS on port 53 every five seconds. (Yes, every five seconds. Unless they changed that in the last 30-45 days.) And it phones home very five minutes (as of v2.19.1.502). The merits of this connectivity can be debated.

If set to load upon system start the program version updates automatically . Or just by clicking on "Check updates." No "new version available" message. No choice as to OK or Later. No user action whatsoever for either at startup or just by one click in the UI. And on a detection, ANY detection, ZAM "will automatically start a smart scan to clean your PC." No user action whatsoever. Anyone who thinks any of that this isn't nuts is... nutso. No one can, or will ever, write a catastrophic-proof one-shoe-fits-all all-automatic threat eliminator.

This product needs a mode for expert users. Just like Anti-Logger.

Regards.
Emre explains here why they use OpenDNS
Zemana AntiMalware 2 BETA | Page 57 | Wilders Security Forums

When you say "detection" I assume you meant that for the real-time feature, right?
If so, have you tested whether setting action to "ask" would make a difference whether it decides to do a smart scan or not?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Ever since started using Zemana Anti-Malware, I stopped using MBAM. The scanning speed comparison is very significant for me and I quite like the Real-Time + Pandora. Would consider to buy another 2U2Y premium is there is another Xmas promotion (Already using 2 yrs premium).

Reactions: iIda15 and frogboy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Ever since started using Zemana Anti-Malware, I stopped using MBAM. The scanning speed comparison is very significant for me and I quite like the Real-Time + Pandora. Would consider to buy another 2U2Y premium is there is another Xmas promotion (Already using 2 yrs premium).

Well, from looking on the Zemana Anti Malware Pro features on its website, it seems like it doesn't mention web blocking at all which is 90% of malware come from, and other 10% come from email.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Well, from looking on the Zemana Anti Malware Pro features on its website, it seems like it doesn't mention web blocking at all which is 90% of malware come from, and other 10% come from email.

I have Adguard Premium + HMP.A
I guess that covers some loops i hope. :rolleyes:

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I have Adguard Premium + HMP.A
I guess that covers some loops i hope. :rolleyes:

Add Bitdefender Traffic Light extension to your browsers so that it could block malware sites. I don't know how good Adguard can block malware sites, but i know BitDefender can block malware sites really good.

Reactions: frogboy

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Add Bitdefender Traffic Light extension to your browsers so that it could block malware sites. I don't know how good Adguard can block malware sites, but i know BitDefender can block malware sites really good.

Thanks for the suggestion

So far Adguard is protecting me well enough. It blocks/prompts fairly good on suspicious/malicious site.
I also use Cyscon shield for additional protection.

R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
Emre explains here why... When you say "detection" ... for the real-time feature? ...setting action to "ask"
I've seen that. And like another member there, the choice of OpenDNS, or any public/open service, is unacceptable IMHO. They could easily set up a purpose-only port 53 service in their own server space to "we must reach the Internet."

I didn't run it long enough because "automatically start a smart scan to clean your PC" is not a feature (related to their Pandora tech) but a disaster waiting to happen. History backs me up on that. The only reason why I didn't get hosed back when MBAM had it's absolutely catastrophic oh-no moment is because as an expert I had all the "automatically" stuff disabled (my BDIS 2016 is similarly configured). Trend Micro, Symantec, AVG - all oh-no'd it at some point. It's not a matter of if it'll happen again, but who and when.

If there was an "ask" then it wouldn't be "automatically start" and tho Pandora can be disabled to avoid that, there is then no point in buying it.

Again... ZAM needs an expert mode for my money. And I recognize that little-brother and Aunt Petunia don't. :D

End of discussion. Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
Add Bitdefender Traffic Light extension to your browsers
Just an FYI, if one is running a BD product (including Free) Traffic Light is not needed. If not disabled by the user, BD's Web Protection will block the malicious Web and not just in browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.