Advice Request Do you recommend using any Freeware by Auslogics?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
About Auslogics said:
Founded in 2008 in Sydney, Australia, Auslogics has grown into an industry leader in the production of computer maintenance and optimization software for Microsoft Windows.
About Auslogics
  • Disk Defrag Free
  • Duplicate File Finder
  • Browser Care
  • Registry Cleaner
  • Registry Defrag
  • Disk Defrag Touch
During my time using Windows XP and Vista, I did use the freeware version of Auslogics Disk Defrag and whilst it was good back then, after further use of Windows 7 I reverted back to the built-in Windows tools.

Although I don't consider myself to using Auslogics optimisation products, I am keen to see if other members use their other freeware and if you recommend them?

Also who would you be their main competitors?

Mod Edit: Clarification towards Auslogics' freeware products.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Disk Defrag Free - probably their best product. If you have HDD, it's one of the best free defrag tools available. If your system partition is hardly fragmented Auslogics will take care of it fast. I would say Piriform Defragler is their main competition, but I find that Auslogics is much faster than Piriform. Note that if you are using Windows 7 and above, you should disable Windows Disk Defrag (or Disk Optimizer) as the defrag job will be done twice, for no reason, decreasing HDD lifespan.
Users are advised to pay attention while installing Auslogics Disk Defrag as it offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
Duplicate File Finder - Another good tool from Auslogics. If you have duplicate files on your hard drive, this tool will find it for sure. Easy to understand features and options for exclusions and comparing algorithms. Sorting of duplicates is also superb in Auslogics Duplicate File Finder.
Registry Cleaner and Defrag
Unless you install, uninstall or reinstall a lot of programs on your system, then I don't think a registry cleaner programs are really needed. Common lie is that these programs will improve system performance, which is absurd, concerning that registry, although essential part of the system, isn't that much resource hungry. These tools can solve some problems in registry when one program "occupied" extension registry key which need another program to use, or make another program work with defects in functionality. This behavior can be seen with users who often install a lot of codec packs, different media players and encoders, making the system confuse itself which system container or codec to use. So registry cleaners are not useless, but in careless hands could make a system useless.

Browser Care - I didn't use, and I don't have a need to.

Thank you for reading

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Auslogics products are good except when it comes to registry cleaners, which a hard software to maintain least of errors.

Disk Defrag is absolutely a good product especially for starters who want simple and yet effective maintenance. Alongside of less issues to occur on the software.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Having used the classic DiskDefrag for years (and this one only), I'm still amazed by the speed of the defragmention compared to other softwares I used (O&O Defrag, Windows built in).
Dislike the ads and the pre-ticked installation of BoostSpeed (Auslogics DD installer) , but hey, this is an great and free software, getting updates quite often :)
I would recommend it without any doubt :)
Also very good inputs by @BoraMurdar, @yigido and @jamescv7 :)

N

Noxx

Pretty much the same input as everyone else on Disk Defrag. The best one I've used to date. Boostspeed 8 is good, I just wish it wasn't so flashy and more simplistic like CCleaner.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
In the past I have used their disk defragmenter without any issues but I think that it is not really necessary now since built-in Windows defragmenter does his job very well.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Users are advised to pay attention while installing Auslogics Disk Defrag as it offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
Is Auslogics misleading users by advertising Disk Defrag Free with,

"Download Now
No adware, no spyware, no toolbars"?

I will have to try this out, in VM. Thanks for the feedback regarding freeware by Auslogics, it's mostly used on older systems, with Windows 8 and later users tend to use built-in, or other software.

I

illumination

I now manually defrag my system with windows built in defrag via Command Prompt, but before this, my main go to was Asulogics Disk defrag free portable. It was as stated above, generally faster then Piriforms Defraggler, which was the only other one i would use.

N

Noxx

"Download Now

I will have to try this out, in VM. Thanks for the feedback regarding freeware by Auslogics, it's mostly used on older systems, with Windows 8 and later users tend to use built-in, or other software.

There are no toolbars or anything like that. Unfortunately, unless you click "Custom install", they'll have another one of their programs ticked to install as well (for example, if you download disk defrag, it will come with Boostspeed). In a way, it's deceptive and I don't endorse that behavior.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

"Download Now
They are telling the truth, installer doesn't contain adware, spyware nor toolbars. But contains BoostSpeed o_O
Capture.PNG

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BoostSpeed is not "crapware". It's an impressive program that has DiskDefrag and other Auslogics programs as modules.
In terms of downloading freeware that's bundled with trial software, isn't exactly what the user needs. Additionally, the user may have either 2 Disk Defrag installed, or an expired BoostSpeed on the desktop. I cannot imagine the types of pop-ups..

BoostSpeed might be good for older Windows, but Windows 8.1 and 10 are quite more optimised than XP.

Speaking of BoostSpeed, I obtained a license from a promo offer, but after inspecting the screenshots, it looked very rogue-like. They need to modernise the UI, before I would ever consider installing it.

N

Noxx

In terms of downloading freeware that's bundled with trial software, isn't exactly what the user needs. Additionally, the user may have either 2 Disk Defrag installed, or an expired BoostSpeed on the desktop. I cannot imagine the types of pop-ups..

BoostSpeed might be good for older Windows, but Windows 8.1 and 10 are quite more optimised than XP.

Speaking of BoostSpeed, I obtained a license from a promo offer, but after inspecting the screenshots, it looked very rogue-like. They need to modernise the UI, before I would ever consider installing it.

I completely agree about the rogue-like appearance. It may sway some people with the "ooo ahhh" factor, but I absolutely detest it and I don't think it'll ever be taken seriously in the corporate world.

Reactions: DardiM and Ink

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
I completely agree about the rogue-like appearance. It may sway some people with the "ooo ahhh" factor, but I absolutely detest it and I don't think it'll ever be taken seriously in the corporate world.
I just looked at some screenshots, I fully agree... it looks like rogue software. When I used it last it looked nothing like that.

Reactions: DardiM and Ink

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have used Boostspeed in the past help restore system speed and privacy. Happy with results.

Reactions: DardiM

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should agree on the appearance, the word of Bootspeed may innocent on the program however the style may link to a rogue one.

Reactions: DardiM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.