Download Ninja (Official Updates Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Build 17
Like the "Load available media" for videos downloads
But its not showing 1080p and some videos its showing couple formats 2 times i.e duplicate I guess & not showing mp3 & mp4 audios.

DN will show all available formats from YouTube in the list that are either only audio or video and audio. The 1080p feeds from youtube as far as I have seen do not include an audio track and would need the user to download the audio track separately and combine it with the video track.. that's getting a little outside the bounds of DN so for the moment those video only streams have been removed form the list. I could add an option in the settings to include those for people that really want them.

If in the original format, I select mp4 & original resolution, I select 720p, would it download mp4 720p video?

In build 17 if you don't click Load Available Media and specifically choose a stream that you want to download DN will download the highest quality, closest match to the settings you choose.. for example if you choose Original Format + Resolution then it will download the highest quality stream that has video and audio.. but if you decide to change the resolution to 360 then there is little point in downloading the 720p stream so if available DN will download the 360p stream instead.

The Load Available Media button allows you to override that and specifically choose which stream to download.

Under Monitor - Connections - Any adverse effect of increasing from 10 to 32?
Does increasing 10 to 32 accelerates the download speed?
Why the default 10?

It depends on your internet connection I think, the most I ever get is 1.5mb/s so increasing from 10 connections to 32 won't really do me much good and in fact could slow things down as a single connection will download very slowly and could timeout. But users who have faster connections than mine might benefit from more connections.

It also depends a lot on the server that hosts the file you are downloading.. they might limit a single connection to a certain download speed which could also effect things.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Great update. I've fully switched over to DN now, with 32 connections it is actually faster than Eagleget now (at least for me), thanks!

great! thank you very much

I have to say I've been overwhelmed by all the support from MalwareTips users over the last month, getting feedback helps massively with my motivation to making DN better :)

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Well, from my point of view I consider DN is still beta. But for a "Beta software" I consider DN is quite stable, I still remember recommended this software to my friend and he looks quite satisfied even he found some problems like yesnoo mentioned above. Since I only use DN for downloading files and not for downloding videos from YT, I think it is why I never faced such problems.

Thanks a lot MikeD for developing DN, you've done a good service to everyone and thanks for being generous as for offering this software for free. I believe this will decrease piracy on the internet, people doesn't have to google for cracking download manager :D
It's simply not worth for me, I prefer the free or open sourced one. Also..once DN is full release, I think it would be great to adding "Donation" button, I believe people would like to say thanks to you for your time and effort for developing such a good software :)

PS : I got better speed when downloading files through DN than eagle get, I think I should make DN is my default and the only one download manager now (since it is work on my favorite Opera too ;))

D

Deleted member 2913

@yesnoo could you please tell everything you want in ONE post (like everyone else), not 6? You can edit a post to add more content into, and things like double post may not be seen very well here :p
Sorry for multiple posts.
But I dont know how to quote from multiple posts in one post.
So I reply post to post.
Can you help me here?

File size is not given by YouTube so to get that the app would need to make a connection to each time which would be quite slow as videos often have 10+ downloads associated with them.

I'll have a play around and see what the speed would be like doing so anyway.

YouTube provides lots of formats for their video player.. some are just audio and some are just video, their player then decides which streams it uses based on your resolution settings.

There are no 'hidden' formats as such, just formats that might be more useful than others. DN lists all those formats in the add media window with the exception of video only streams
Its on you but I do think showing file size would be good. I tried couple video downloaders & they were quick to return the results, like 4kvideodownloaders, Freemake Video Downloaders.

Persoanlly I dont like to see all the available media format.360p is Google's default to show video & its low in size & quite clear video.
So personally I would like to see 1080, 720, 360, 240 (mp4 video+audio) & mp4, mp3 (audio). No need to show video only, audio only, other low resolutions, other media format, etc... I think other download managers too show main media format only.

If you dont think its a good idea, can you add an option in the GUI, like check/uncheck media format to show in the available format?

I think a lot of the confusion comes from YouTube supplying multiple format streams to its player.. so you have 10+ streams to download directly from YT in different resolutions but then the conversion allows you convert the format and change resolution if you want.. so technically its possible to choose a 360p video and select to convert it to 720, in this case DN doesn't actually perform that conversion as it can't add data to the quality. The only exception is if you choose to change the file format from say mp4 to mov.

I suppose I could change the app to remove the option to convert to a higher resolution if 360p was selected for example or at least show a warning.
Thats why I said converter is confusing coz it gives the idea that it will convert low resolution video to high resolution i.e HD i.e in quality. Most average/novices would think so.
Converting 720 mp4 to 720 mkv is fine coz I guess format will change without affecting the quality, right?
But converting 360p to 720p is pointless as it doesn't improves the quality. (The option in DN gives the idea that it will improve the quality as 720p is selectable under resolution for 360p video & average/novices would think it will convert 360p into HD in quality)

I think media download in the GUI should have "Load available media".
And Converter should have a seperate section in the GUI where one can browse the video & convert the media.
What do you think?

DN will show all available formats from YouTube in the list that are either only audio or video and audio. The 1080p feeds from youtube as far as I have seen do not include an audio track and would need the user to download the audio track separately and combine it with the video track.. that's getting a little outside the bounds of DN so for the moment those video only streams have been removed form the list. I could add an option in the settings to include those for people that really want them.
I have downloaded 1080 from Youtube with video downloaders & download managers & the videos have audio too.
So if other video downloaders & download managers can do this why not DN?
Is it hard to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi All,

It's been a busy couple of weeks but I'm pleased to say I have just released a new version of Download Ninja (build 11) which includes all sorts of things.. including...

• Media Conversion (FLV=>MP4=>MP3, etc)
  • Download Queues
  • Download Scheduling (auto start/stop queues at a certain time/date/day of week)
  • Download Types (auto send certain file types to certain locations)
  • Bandwidth Throttling (Per download, queue and global)
  • Dedicated Media Download page
  • Refresh Link
  • Clear Completed option
  • Max Connections in config
  • Proxy settings
  • Download summary window (was that already in there?!)
As well as a whole load of small improvements and bug fixes. A more complete list can be found in the Download Ninja - Change log

I've also cleaned up the site a little bit and added a dedicated download page.. I think generally the whole thing looks a lot nicer now.

Anyway you can get the latest version here:
http://downloadninja.com/download/

New Plugin Versions

I released a new version of the Firefox/Chrome plugins the other day that allow you to download media directly from the webpage without having to load the URL into DownloadNinja first.. if you don't already have them you can get them from the download page above.

Bug Fixing Time!

I'm not planning on adding many features for a while now.. I'd like to spend the next month or so responding to bug reports so please let me know of any issues you find either by creating a ticket on the support page or by emailing me at info@downloadninja.com

I'm fairly sure there isn't much that programs like IDM and FDM have that DN doesn't have now but if you think of anything interesting do let me know :)
The interface is... Amazing... Perfect... Incredibly good.
You make my designs/UIs look bad :oops::rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 2913

Thank's for requesting the review on TechSupportAlert, hopefully he is using build 17 :) I'm very excited to see what he says!
Well the review will take time to appear on the website as he is testing & comparing download managers & then the review for all the tested download managers will be there with recommendations & ranks.

As DN is new, currently he is doing a basic test with DN & he posted that he is impressed with DN. He mentioned he doesn't know how long the developer is developing DN but its a new product & impressive & a tough contender to popular Free Download Manager & Eagleget.

Reactions: MikeD

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@yesnoo

I merged your posts together for you, anytime you can not figure out how to multi-quote just PM Super Mods or Admin and they will merge the posts for you.

Good day. :D

Reactions: Petrovic
D

Deleted member 2913

MikeD,
Why the name Download Ninja?
I think rectangular GUI would be better, wot say?

I think instead of Quick Add & Detailed Add, make it 1 tab, OK/Add with Show Details/Info tab.
The window will show basic info like url, download location (with the option to change download location), file size (is it possible to show file size on this window, would be good), media format (720p mp4) & Show Details will expand the window & show more info.

Use the +Quote button instead and try to find out how it works ^^
Thanxx, I will try.

@yesnoo

I merged your posts together for you, anytime you can not figure out how to mulch-quote just PM Super Mods or Admin and they will merge the posts for you.

Good day. :D
Thanxx.
I will try to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic
D

Deleted member 21043

MikeD,

I think instead of Quick Add & Detailed Add, make it 1 tab, OK/Add with Show Details/Info tab.
The window will show basic info like url, download location (with the option to change download location), file size (is it possible to show file size on this window, would be good), media format (720p mp4) & Show Details will expand the window & show more info.

Thanxx, I will try.

Thanxx.
I will try to learn.
I like the name as Download Ninja, because I think it is related to the product (what it does), and that it is creative (Download Ninja would mean it can download files quickly, as Ninja's are quick and highly skilled).

As for the GUI, I think it looks great but your suggestion may possibly make it more easy-to-use which is important. He could copy his project and do what you suggested and then compare which one looks better :D

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Special thanks to MikeD for providing an excellent free product. When I first discovered Download Ninja on Softpedia, I was thinking ok just another download manager but after using it for awhile I started to love it even more. Right now it is a very hard choice between EagleGet and Download Ninja. Both are excellent products and I didn't know that Download ninja was still in beta, probably the most stable beta that I ever tired. I believe Build 17 could count as a final release.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 2913

I tested few download managers (latest version), especially HD video downloads by download managers but all had probs.
Tested on Youtube.
Browser - Internet Explorer 11
Win 7 64

Internet Download Manager - For quite a few videos it didn't showed all the resolutions.
i.e Youtube showed 1080/720, etc... but IDM showed 360/240 only.
Not all the videos but some.

Eagleget - Same as IDM. Also the download bar didn't showed up on some videos.

Intenet Download Accelerator - It has a setting in the GUI for video downloads. There you can set it to download the resolution like 1080/720, etc... I set it to 720.
Video downloads works by rightclick on the video clip & click download with IDA & download window appears.
But the prob was even if Youtube has 360 as the highest resolution for the video, IDA download window shows 720.
It seems under settings if you set video downloads to, for ex - 720, even if Youtube video doesn't have 720, IDA download window shows 720 i.e download window always shows 720 even if the video is only in 360/240 & not in 720.

Download Accelerator Manager - I find it buggy & video grabber not working. And I think it doesn't have HD downloads.

I tested under Toolwiz Time Freeze. This doesn't affect the functionality of the programs, right?
Can anyone using the above download managers check & post if they noticed the same prob?

Free Download Manager (Alpha version) - The new alpha version that released few days back has video downloads, HD downloads. It works by rightclick on video clip & click download with FDM & it shows resolutions with file size like 1080/720/480/360/240/144/mp4 audio etc... Select that you want to download & click download. Multiple selection is there.
I like this version. Hope the development is fast & released soon.

I like DN but haven't installed on my production system. Will wait for couple builds & then try.
Especially waiting for video downloads feature. As the developer is incorporating changes, waiting to see how video downloads is improved further or implemented in other way.

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Youtube continues to make frequent changes to their site which breaks video downloaders, I don't know if they do this intentionally or just a basic security enhancements.

If you look at the changelogs of many popular Youtube downloaders you will see made changes to work with recent changes to Youtube.

Sometimes I believe that Google does this intentionally to keep them from legal problems. Basically you can download any video from Youtube, convert it to high quality mp3 and make your own album legally without having to download illegal torrents for music.

There are even free music downloaders that will do all of the conversions in one step like aTube Catcher and Freemake Video Converter.
I'm really surprised this is legal when other products like LimeWire, Kazaa, iMesh, BearShare was shutdown for the same reason.

D

Deleted member 2913

Youtube continues to make frequent changes to their site which breaks video downloaders, I don't know if they do this intentionally or just a basic security enhancements.

If you look at the changelogs of many popular Youtube downloaders you will see made changes to work with recent changes to Youtube.

Sometimes I believe that Google does this intentionally to keep them from legal problems. Basically you can download any video from Youtube, convert it to high quality mp3 and make your own album legally without having to download illegal torrents for music.

There are even free music downloaders that will do all of the conversions in one step like aTube Catcher and Freemake Video Converter.
I'm really surprised this is legal when other products like LimeWire, Kazaa, iMesh, BearShare was shutdown for the same reason.

But video downloaders works fine i.e I use portable 4kvideodownloaders & it always works fine.
The prob I mentioned for the download managers, the same video is parsed by 4kvideodownloaders fine.
Does video downloaders works differently or in a specific way, given that they are for specific purpose i.e video downloads?

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
First attempt at multi-quote.. bare with me ;)

PS : I got better speed when downloading files through DN than eagle get, I think I should make DN is my default and the only one download manager now (since it is work on my favorite Opera too ;))

Great to hear!

@yesnoo:

I think the whole media download section needs a bit of a rethink and actually consider if it should be in there at all. I've been looking around at some other video downloaders this morning like 4k and I have to say they do a pretty good job. The advantage that they have over DN is that they are dedicated to downloading videos where DN is based around file downloading.

Although those things appear similar on the surface, downloading a video (especially form youtube) actually involves a lot of other stuff as well.. specifically the thing causing issues at the moment is that YouTube is changing their format from a single file with audio+video to two files (one audio and one video)..

4k for example shows you the download as a single file but it actually downloads two files and then combines them after the download is complete.

This poses a problem for DN as DN is really based around downloading a single file and optionally performing some post processing on it if needed. If suddenly DN needs to download 2 files and then combine them into a single file it makes the whole process a lot more specific and starts to fall outside the realms of a normal download manager.

I need to spend a day or so thinking about how this could work in the future as I'm pretty sure YouTube will simply remove the current combined audio+video files at some point in favour of their new 2 stream approach.

The other consideration is the same argument against adding torrent support to DN.. if there are already a whole load of video downloaders that work well and are free on the Internet, is there any point in bending DN to do something its not really designed to do just to handle the oddities of YouTube?

What language is this software written in?

Microsoft.NET and thanks!

As DN is new, currently he is doing a basic test with DN & he posted that he is impressed with DN. He mentioned he doesn't know how long the developer is developing DN but its a new product & impressive & a tough contender to popular Free Download Manager & Eagleget.

Yeah I saw that on the site.. I also saw a comment this morning saying that he had stopped the review of another downloader as he thought that DN was interesting! I have to say I'm rather nervous of the outcome!

MikeD,

The name Download Ninja came form a combination of finding something that tells the user more or less what it does combined with the indication that its quick.. ninjas are quick and downloads are for downloading :D

It also comes from the nightmare task of finding a domain thats actually available these days.. the vast majority of potential names I came up with were already taken and had stupid domain landing pages on them either offering them for sale for a silly amount of money or just showing ads.

As for the GUI, I think it looks great but your suggestion may possibly make it more easy-to-use which is important. He could copy his project and do what you suggested and then compare which one looks better :D

Yeah I'm all for making changes to the UI to make it easier to use.. I've had a couple of requests to make the list entries smaller in an optional compact mode so I'll be playing around with that at some point.

Special thanks to MikeD for providing an excellent free product. When I first discovered Download Ninja on Softpedia, I was thinking ok just another download manager but after using it for awhile I started to love it even more. Right now it is a very hard choice between EagleGet and Download Ninja. Both are excellent products and I didn't know that Download ninja was still in beta, probably the most stable beta that I ever tired. I believe Build 17 could count as a final release.

Thank you very much! Yes I think build17 is fairly stable now although someone did report an occasional crash in the clipboard monitor this morning but I don't believe it is very common.. it's been handled in my development build anyway.

...Intenet Download Accelerator - It has a setting in the GUI for video downloads. There you can set it to download the resolution like 1080/720, etc... I set it to 720...

Thanks for the breakdown of other download manager's video support, very interesting to see how they handle it.. as I said above I'm going to have a play around over the next couple of days to get a better feel for how this should work in DN.

I've often wondered the same thing.. they seem to make these changes almost daily but strangely they don't seem to effect all videos, some videos keep working but others stop.. very strange.

But video downloaders works fine i.e I use portable 4kvideodownloaders & it always works fine.
The prob I mentioned for the download managers, the same video is parsed by 4kvideodownloaders fine.
Does video downloaders works differently or in a specific way, given that they are for specific purpose i.e video downloads?

4k works by downloading the audio+video streams separately and combining them at the end.. adding this multi-download-per-download support is what is throwing me off a bit in DN, I'm going to have a play with other managers and see how they handle it.

D

Deleted member 2913

I think the best way to download videos would be
1. Rightclick on the clip & download with DN & DN shows the available media format.
2. Download bar on the video showing available media format.
I think these 2 features should be there & would be best.

I dont mind drag & drop url, grabber but I find the above 2 easy & comfortable using.

Yes, you take your time & see how vidoe downloads would be the best.

1 minor bug
When you try to rightclick & paste url in the media download section the options copy/paste is blank & only shows up when you hover the mouse over options.

Reactions: MikeD

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Hi all, I released a quick update (build 18) today that fixes two bugs and updates the YouTube scanning code.

One of the bugs is to do with the auto-update system, basically it causes the auto-update window to appear multiple times when the main window is active. The results is that after a few hours there are a few windows open and it makes it hard to actually run the update.

This only starts to happen when a new update is available which is why it was not uncovered until now.

Because of this for the moment I have disabled auto-update for build17 to give users a chance to update their version to build18 manually.. it's not a big problem if the auto-update starts and you get a few extra windows, worst case you would just need to close them all and then run the update but I thought I'd disable build 17 updates for the moment anyway.

My apologies for this, I appreciate that it's an annoying one :(

You can get build 18 here:
http://downloadninja.com/download/

Enhancements
  • Option to hide non-completed downloads
  • Updated YouTube parser
Fixes
  • Fixed occasional crash in clipboard monitor
  • Fixed auto-update bug that shows multiple update windows (one every 2 hours)
  • General bug fixes
Download Ninja BETA (With Language Translation)

@Malware Test

I've been working a lot over the last week to add multiple languages into DN, as there have been quite a lot of offers to do the translation work I thought I'd try to make it as easy as possible for users by adding a Language Manager actually into the app, so you can create / manage the languages without having to rebuild the program.

You can also update the app in real time to see the changes which is quite nice!

I still have a few bits to finish off on the beta before I push it out but you can get a feel for how it works here:

http://downloadninja.com/translate/

I expect to add a link for the beta at some point tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.