• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System boots but screen black
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled graphic driver, scanned with antimalware no malware found.
During boot screen black but system boots i.e if looked closely I can see system boots fine & the desktop.

There are lights on laptop keyboard for WiFi & Sound & those glows fine. And there is a HP logo on the back of the laptop cover/shutter that too glows fine.

When I start the laptop sometimes boots fine but sometimes screen black. If I start the laptop & boots fine then subsequent restarts no probs. If I start the laptop & screen black then sometimes on 2nd try boots fine or sometimes takes many try to boot fine.

Help needed.

Reactions: Logethica

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I dont think there are no official drivers for w10. Its better to stick with default microsoft provided driver(not WU one) or else revert to w7.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I dont think there are no official drivers for w10. Its better to stick with default microsoft provided driver(not WU one) or else revert to w7.
On Win 10 Home no option to ignore updates/driver updates, etc...

I have uninstalled HP 3D DriveGuard. I will see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
When you download the drivers before you install them disconnect from the internet and install them.Once you have the latest drivers installed reconnect to the internet and Windows Update for the drivers should not show up.
You can also use third party programs to hide unwanted updates in Windows 10

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
There is an option to "untick" for checking updates to microsoft products in windows update settings and also uncheck download drivers from internet in devices and printers section or else you can set up your connection as metered one to stop those driver updates from WU altogether.

Upvote 0

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
I am still unable to identify if it is related to hardware or software.for hardware part would you just try to move laptop screen back and forth to check if some connection is loose. and to check software part ,you just download Linux and make bootable usb and try to boot your system using bootable usb without installing linux and see if the problem goes away or not

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am still unable to identify if it is related to hardware or software.for hardware part would you just try to move laptop screen back and forth to check if some connection is loose. and to check software part ,you just download Linux and make bootable usb and try to boot your system using bootable usb without installing linux and see if the problem goes away or not
Its because of older graphic chipset not having native win 10 driver from intel.

Upvote 0

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
Its because of older graphic chipset not having native win 10 driver from intel.
one of the my laptops is from vista era and it is running fine with windows 10 with old drivers without any problem and that makes me think to lookout the problem somewhere else.

@yesnoo let me tell you my style of finding the solution of this kind of problem .search online an internet security with remote support and refund policy ,just buy and install it when your system is working ,now contact their remote support and tell them your problem ( tell them it started after installing your product) and sit back and relax while they try to find the problem .once your problem is sorted out ,ask for refund and enjoy life.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
When you download the drivers before you install them disconnect from the internet and install them.Once you have the latest drivers installed reconnect to the internet and Windows Update for the drivers should not show up.
You can also use third party programs to hide unwanted updates in Windows 10
Intel doesn't have latest driver for Win 10 for my graphics.

My previous OS on this laptop was Win 7 64. Should I try that driver? Win 10 mention HP drivers are old compared to already installed.
So I guess will have to uninstall already installed driver with the option remove driver file too. And net disconnected install HP driver & see if the prob goes way. And hope Win 10 doesn't update the driver with its latest version.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There is an option to "untick" for checking updates to microsoft products in windows update settings and also uncheck download drivers from internet in devices and printers section or else you can set up your connection as metered one to stop those driver updates from WU altogether.
And hope Win 10 doesn't update the driver with its latest version.
See How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10 , scroll down to Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update to change the Driver Installation Settings.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
When screen is black & I move screen back & forth nothing happens or rarely screen appears.
When laptop is running fine & I move screen back & forth no screen flicker & nothing.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If the HDD is damaged why are you asking about the graphics drivers because the laptop boots but the screen is black?
You have lost me now
No I mentioned can a HD TV or a Laptop with damaged HDD that boots & mention OS not found, be used for external monitor?
So I meant a spare laptop with damaged HDD can be used for external monitor?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
a desktop monitor or small TV monitor
I dont have a desktop monitor or small TV monitor.
If this laptop prob will continue then will buy a new.

When uninstalling from Device Manager should I uninstall the drivers hidden i.e to uninstall graphic driver I go to display - 1 driver is shown. If I enable show hidden then 2 drivers are shown & both names are same.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have uninstalled graphic driver installed by Windows Updates. And have installed graphic driver from HP for my model for Win 7 64 (Win 10 are not available at HP). I will see how it goes.

45211 - IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver
45213 - Intel Chipset Installation Utility
45590 - Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics Driver (64-bit)
45558 - ALPS Pointing Device Driver (2-Way) for 14-Inch Wide LCD
45214 - ENE CIR Receiver Driver
48591 - Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows 7
45215 - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Driver
45212 - JMB38X Card Reader Host Controller Driver
45501 - HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Above are the drivers from HP for my model for Win 7 64.
As you know now the laptop has Win 10 64 installed.

Can anyone tell me what all drivers should I install & in what order from the above mentioned drivers?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Did installing the graphics driver alleviate your problem?
Did you uninstall all those other drivers?
When system is running & you try shutdown/start then mostly the prob doesn't occur. Its like long time shutdown & start then prob occurs. So I will shutdown & check starting the system next day to know better.

No I had not installed those drivers. Graphic, Audio & ENE drivers were installed by Windows Updates. Wireless & Ethernet drivers guess came with Win 10.
I had installed HP 3D & JMicron.

Now I have uninstalled HP 3D & JMicron. Uninstalled graphic driver by Windows Updates & installed my graphic driver i.e previous OS Win 7 64 graphic driver.

Should I replace all installed drivers with my drivers i.e previous OS Win 7 64 drivers?
What all drivers should I install from the list in the previous post?

UPDATE -
I tried shutdown/start 4-5 times & seems fine with my Win 7 64 graphic driver.
I will shutdown system tonight & start next day & see what happens & will post the result here.
I will also check for couple days & will post the result here.

UPDATE 2 -
Installing Win 7 64 my previous OS graphic driver, things seems fine as I did 3-4 shutdown/start & worked fine.
I uninstalled all the drivers installed by Windows Updates & installed all the drivers for my previous OS Win 7 64 mentioned in one of my previous post. Everything seems fine for now. I will look out few days & will post result here.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.