• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System boots but screen black
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled graphic driver, scanned with antimalware no malware found.
During boot screen black but system boots i.e if looked closely I can see system boots fine & the desktop.

There are lights on laptop keyboard for WiFi & Sound & those glows fine. And there is a HP logo on the back of the laptop cover/shutter that too glows fine.

When I start the laptop sometimes boots fine but sometimes screen black. If I start the laptop & boots fine then subsequent restarts no probs. If I start the laptop & screen black then sometimes on 2nd try boots fine or sometimes takes many try to boot fine.

Help needed.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
More likely some win 7 configuration wrt drivers were not fully migrated by w10 and probably that fixed it. Even I'm waiting for w10 upgrade from win 7. ATM, lack of audio drivers w/ dolby on w10 has halted my upgrade.
Its a clean install of Threshold 2 Win 10 & not upgrade.

Sounds like the problem is solved
Its not solved & still happening...sometime works fine sometime screen appears directly on logon sometime black screen & if let the laptop running screen appears & sometime couple tries to start.

I forgot to mention 1 thing.
Could it be the power issue?
This is a HP Laptop & Battery is finished & Charger damaged. I have a Dell Laptop thats damaged. Its Charger works fine with HP Laptop & am using it for a year or more now with no prob. The specs of the charger are almost same so I thought not a prob & started using it.

Here are the specs of both the charger. I think its fine to use as the specs are almost same...what you say?

HP Charger -
65W
Input 100-240V~1.7A(1.7A)50-60Hz
Output 18.5V(18.5V)=3.5A(3.5A)

Dell Charger -
65W
Input 100-240V~50-60Hz 1.5A
Output 19.5V=3.34A

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
UPDATE 2 -
Installing Win 7 64 my previous OS graphic driver, things seems fine as I did 3-4 shutdown/start & worked fine.
I uninstalled all the drivers installed by Windows Updates & installed all the drivers for my previous OS Win 7 64 mentioned in one of my previous post. Everything seems fine for now. I will look out few days & will post result here.
Your loosing me here sorry if I am confused
Have you tried taking out the battery and just running it with the power cord and no battery?
If this continues then it is some other hardware issue or a problem with the screen and not the drivers.
How old is this laptop?
Might just be time for a new one

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Your loosing me here sorry if I am confused
Have you tried taking out the battery and just running it with the power cord and no battery?
If this continues then it is some other hardware issue or a problem with the screen and not the drivers.
How old is this laptop?
Might just be time for a new one
Yes I have tried with no battery & power cord only & the prob appears.
Laptop is 6-8 years old.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Might be time to consider a new one
The prob is solved or not...we are thinking of buying a new one too.

And on this laptop graphic driver install by Windows Updates always fail (tried 3-4 clean OS install) i.e WU will mention error failed to install, retry, & on retrying WU mention up to date. Device Manager mention working fine & graphic too seems installed fine. But dont know why, WU installs graphic driver, screen goes blank & screen changes & everything seems fine, but WU mention error failed to install?

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Is the display working with default MS driver for your gpu? 7-8 years is a long one, consider installing LXDE Linux distros and put it to some use instead of laying it a waste.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am not able to use basic display adapter.
i.e I disabled driver download in device installation settings. I disabled/hide graphic driver update with the Microsoft tool. I uninstalled graphic drivers [2 drivers (both exactly same name), 1 shows up when "show hidden devices" is selected] with the option "delete driver file" selected. But after system restart within a min or 2 Windows 10 auto-installs the graphic driver.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am not able to use basic display adapter.
i.e I disabled driver download in device installation settings. I disabled/hide graphic driver update with the Microsoft tool. I uninstalled graphic drivers [2 drivers (both exactly same name), 1 shows up when "show hidden devices" is selected] with the option "delete driver file" selected. But after system restart within a min or 2 Windows 10 auto-installs the graphic driver.
That's the default driver for your GPU provided by MS and you can verify it under properties of the device.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
That's the default driver for your GPU provided by MS and you can verify it under properties of the device.
I think not. Coz when I uninstall driver then after restart device manager show "Microsoft display adapter". But within a min or 2 the unstalled driver is installed by Windows then device manager show "Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)". This driver was installed by Windows Updates.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I really don't think the Intel driver is your problem.Usually with Intel integrated graphics there is no problems with Microsoft installing the driver on Windows 10.
I think your problem is more of a physical problem with the Laptop itself or a hardware problem.
Given it's age I would suggest looking into a new machine.If you have anything of value on it you want(pics,music,etc.)you can still pull these off the HDD.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think not. Coz when I uninstall driver then after restart device manager show "Microsoft display adapter". But within a min or 2 the unstalled driver is installed by Windows then device manager show "Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)". This driver was installed by Windows Updates.
You can set your wifi/ethernet connection as metered and WU will not install drivers

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Can I ask if you upgraded from another OS to Windows 10 and if so have you tried going back to the other OS to see if the problem exists there also?

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@yesnoo, does the problem still persists? If yes let me know whats the current status. And mean while I would like to ask you that have you ever tried connecting your laptop to TV or an Monitor?
@exterminator20 was consequently asking you the same thing but your replies were not clear to us. :confused:
As I have gone through the above comments by various professionals, it doesn't seems like a software issue for me. Which was the OS you were previously having before upgrading? was this problem over there too?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
@yesnoo, does the problem still persists? If yes let me know whats the current status. And mean while I would like to ask you that have you ever tried connecting your laptop to TV or an Monitor?
@exterminator20 was consequently asking you the same thing but your replies were not clear to us. :confused:
As I have gone through the above comments by various professionals, it doesn't seems like a software issue for me. Which was the OS you were previously having before upgrading? was this problem over there too?
The prob is still there.

Previous OS Win 7 64 - No prob.
Fresh Install Win 10 64 first stable release - No prob (Installed drivers through Windows Updates)
Fresh install Win 10 64 Threshold 2 - Prob started (Installed drivers through Windows Updates)

I had mentioned I have HD TV & a spare laptop with damaged HDD so boots & mention OS not found. I have never connected to external monitor so dont know what all required & how to do it. Can the the mentioned TV & laptop be used for external monitor?

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can use a desktop monitor or an HDTV to connect to and see if you have an image.If you have a an HDMI port on your laptop then you can use an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your HDTV.You can also use a DVI or VGA port or an S Video port depending on what you have on your Laptop & Monitor or TV.Of course you will need the corresponding cables
HDMI
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.12_11h37m56s_001_.png
DVI*Most LCD TV's/ and on most Laptops/Desktops
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.12_11h38m20s_002_.png
VGA*Found on most LCD TV's Laptops & Desktops
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.12_11h38m41s_003_.png
S Video *Are either 4 or 7 pin connectors/older TV's
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.12_11h39m03s_004_.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.