• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System boots but screen black
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled graphic driver, scanned with antimalware no malware found.
During boot screen black but system boots i.e if looked closely I can see system boots fine & the desktop.

There are lights on laptop keyboard for WiFi & Sound & those glows fine. And there is a HP logo on the back of the laptop cover/shutter that too glows fine.

When I start the laptop sometimes boots fine but sometimes screen black. If I start the laptop & boots fine then subsequent restarts no probs. If I start the laptop & screen black then sometimes on 2nd try boots fine or sometimes takes many try to boot fine.

Help needed.

Reactions: Logethica

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
This is the typical problem of binding updates, why not I like Windows 10.
Problems for users and follows, which removed the mandatory updates.
When not they are forced upgrades it install Windows 10.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
On you laptop go to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Click on Choose what the power Buttons Do on the right hand side
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.13_20h01m11s_004_.png
Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.13_19h59m21s_001_.png
Untick turn on fast startup
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.01.13_20h00m07s_002_.png
Now shutdown your laptop and then turn it on again.Not a restart but a shutdown.See if this changes anything

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
On you laptop go to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Click on Choose what the power Buttons Do on the right hand side
View attachment 80467
Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable
View attachment 80468
Untick turn on fast startup
View attachment 80469
Now shutdown your laptop and then turn it on again.Not a restart but a shutdown.See if this changes anything
I will try this too & post the result here.

Just to refresh the display prob -
"The prob is with initial start only i.e subsequent restart & even continue shutdown & start works fine. The prob is only if the system is shutdown & started after long time like few hours or next day then either it will boot fine (no black screen) on the first start or after few tries".

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I will try this too & post the result here.

Just to refresh the display prob -
"The prob is with initial start only i.e subsequent restart & even continue shutdown & start works fine. The prob is only if the system is shutdown & started after long time like few hours or next day then either it will boot fine (no black screen) on the first start or after few tries".
Sometimes it is a problem with the power options and problems with fast startup.Did you try the suggestions here During Boot Screen Is Black But System Boots

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I will try & post the result here.

I haven't shutdown the system yet. Tonight I will shutdown the system after changing the power setting. And let you know the test results.
Sounds good and let us know. Personally I would have scraped that baby 4 pages ago and had a new one by page 4 :D
All kidding aside I hope you find a fix for it

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Sounds good and let us know. Personally I would have scraped that baby 4 pages ago and had a new one by page 4 :D
All kidding aside I hope you find a fix for it
Today I successfully tested with external display i.e TV & Laptop. I set the display to "DuplicateDisplay". And shutdown & started system 4-5 times. Everytime Display appeared on TV but on Laptop display was not consistent i.e sometimes appeared fine, sometimes appeared halfway, etc...
So it seems either display card or connection loose prob, etc... I think more of connection loose or something.
Guess driver prob is ruled out now, right?
What you say?
Do you think I should still give a try to power options settings i.e fast startup disable?
What else you say?

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Today I successfully tested with external display i.e TV & Laptop. I set the display to "DuplicateDisplay". And shutdown & started system 4-5 times. Everytime Display appeared on TV but on Laptop display was not consistent i.e sometimes appeared fine, sometimes appeared halfway, etc...
So it seems either display card or connection loose prob, etc... I think more of connection loose or something.
Guess driver prob is ruled out now, right?
What you say?
Do you think I should still give a try to power options settings i.e fast startup disable?
What else you say?
This confirms that the issue is with the display strip or the display inverter. So if you are not a tech engineer who can't service the laptop I suggest you to use it with an external monitor or get your laptop repaired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Th
This confirms that the issue is with the display strip or the display inverter. So if you are not a tech engineer who can't service the laptop I suggest you to use it with an external monitor or get your laptop repaired.
I will see if I can check the display strip or inverter otherwise take it to the tech.
I will have to watch few videos.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I will see if I can check the display strip or inverter otherwise take it to the tech.
I will have to watch few videos.
>>If u have any old non working laptop try using their display strip/ inverter .
Note: LED and LCD have different types of strip and inverter
>>Where as in most case once the strip is reconnected to the motherboard and display then the problem would be fixed. Because of the n-number of tilts of the screen there are chances where the strip gets loosen within its connectors like the MB, Display Screen and Inverter Itself. So make sure u disassemble ur laptop properly. Since u have mentioned its an old, the design architecture would be complex and complicated. Make sure u have proper tools to perform the operations.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
>>If u have any old non working laptop try using their display strip/ inverter .
Note: LED and LCD have different types of strip and inverter
>>Where as in most case once the strip is reconnected to the motherboard and display then the problem would be fixed. Because of the n-number of tilts of the screen there are chances where the strip gets loosen within its connectors like the MB, Display Screen and Inverter Itself. So make sure u disassemble ur laptop properly. Since u have mentioned its an old, the design architecture would be complex and complicated. Make sure u have proper tools to perform the operations.
I think reconnecting will work but lets see.

Do you mean strip & inverter are same for all the laptop & I can use one from old laptop?
How do I know its LED or LCD?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
exterminator20,

Before checking strip & inverter I am trying your power settings option i.e disabled fast display, tried 4-5 shutdown & start with 5 mins gaps for each test & for each test before power on the laptop..lifted laptop, placed the closed laptop upside down, moved the laptop shutter front & back few times, placed the laptop on other places, etc... All the 4-5 start were fine i.e no black screen.

Lets see what happens I shutdown laptop tonight & start tomorrow.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
UPDATE for the last post - Tried 1 more shutdown & started system after 10 mins & fine.

By the way what is Fast Startup?
I dont see any difference in system startup or shutdown with FS enabled/disabled. Only difference I noticed is with FS enabled system shutdown quick i.e the minute I click shutdown the screen goes black but keyboard led takes little time to go off. And with FS disabled when I click shutdown it shows system is shutting down & takes little time to shutdown & completely shuts down i.e the moment screen goes black keyboard leds too goes off. So like system startup I dont see any difference with system shutdown too with FS disabled i.e time taken by system shutdown & keyboard leds go off with FS enabled seems the same as time taken by system shutdown & keyboard leds go off with FS disabled.

And I read FS was introduced with Win 8. My system was originally Vista. Does FS needs any type of compatibility & could compatibility be the reason for the black screen on my system with FS enabled? (Though we are just testing FS disabled & yet not confirmed FS is the culprit but so far with 6 shutdown/start system booted fine).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have a feeling FS is the prob. Hope the prob is solved. Tried 1 more shutdown & started system after 20 mins & fine.
2 reasons I get the feeling FS is the prob. 1. System booting fine with 7-8 test shutdown/start & 2. No screen flicker. The screen use to flicker sometimes when I use to move shutter front back or lift the system but tried many times now & no screen flicker.

And FS disabled is good for my family members. Coz with FS enabled screen goes black instant but keyboard led takes time to shut off that means system is not completely shutdown, right? So I always close the shutter when led goes off but my family members the moment screen goes black they close the shutter. With FS disabled on shutdown when the screen goes black keyboard leds too go off that means complete shutdown...this is good for my family members.

Tomorrow will post the update here. If tomorrow system boots fine then couple days later will post the update here. If couple days later system is still fine then few days later will post the final update here.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Fast startup makes your PC startup faster after a shutdown by saving an image of the kernel and drivers that are loaded to a hiberfile and then when you start your PC again it loads this file to the memory and resumes your PC.It is supposed to be faster than hibernation.
It doesn't work with a restart though you have to shutdown your PC
The problem with Fast Startup is that sometimes on certain PC's it causes a problem like your PC is partially hibernated and even though the HDD is running the display will not turn on because it doesn't fully load.That is the best way I can explain it without looking up all the technical terms :D I am mostly self educated in computers so please excuse my lack of technical terminology.
Fast Startup is know to cause some problems with no display after a startup in some PC's especially some older ones and running Windows 10
It is something to try at least and see if it works as once you rule out the easy fixes then you will have an idea what you are really dealing with.
Since the display shows on an external monitor you can probably rule out hardware problems as well as OS conflicts.
Malware is not the culprit.
It could be loose connections or some other problem with the laptop itself.
I am thinking Fast Startup might be the culprit because restarting a PC won't use Fast Startup however when you said after you shutdown the machine and turned it back on you had the display problem so this might be the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.