Emsisoft, Kaspersky and ESET other questions in performance

H

hjlbx

What's your background? I want to know how you got so smart so I can do it lol. I wish I knew all of this stuff or at least had someone at hand to teach me.

I am welding inspector.

When I started with security softs I knew next to nothing.

Like I said, most of us learn by doing.

All it takes is time, effort and ability to cope with crushing aggravation, frustration and demoralization... :D

Persistence in the face of adversity pays off. ;)

Reactions: CMLew
O

ofbeautyandrage

I know more now than I did many years back but not to the extent of knowledge that you have.

I remember when I first came across your post in an Emsisoft thread and you basically explained the ins and outs of how it works and how some people assume that it works. I was quite dumbfounded reading it of how you and many people here are so knowledgeable.

H

hjlbx

I know more now than I did many years back but not to the extent of knowledge that you have.

I remember when I first came across your post in an Emsisoft thread and you basically explained the ins and outs of how it works and how some people assume that it works. I was quite dumbfounded reading it of how you and many people here are so knowledgeable.

Best policy to follow when dealing with security softs is to assume that you do not know how it works - because you don't - and vendors do an extremely poor job of documenting how they do work - so users are left in a knowledge vacuum - which leads to a lot of frustration and disappointment.

As far as I know, most of us here are users just like you. Some have much more knowledge and experience than others, but for the most part, most of us are essentially typical users.

O

ofbeautyandrage

If something were to happen and I couldn't fix my computer myself like a hardware issue, what would you recommend in looking for a qualified person(s)? I've looked around locally where we are and there's one gentleman that does free diagnostics, he is also BBB accredited and not one negative review on his Facebook Page. And his prices are negotiable.

H

hjlbx

If something were to happen and I couldn't fix my computer myself like a hardware issue, what would you recommend in looking for a qualified person(s)? I've looked around locally where we are and there's one gentleman that does free diagnostics, he is also BBB accredited and not one negative review on his Facebook Page.

Better than Best Buy Geek Squad... LOL.

Like all things we have to purchase, there is always some risk of dissatisfaction. But I will tell you it is difficult to find anyone IT hardware associated that doesn't have a single complaint.

Your satisfaction will be directly inversely proportional to your expectations... LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ofbeautyandrage

That's what I was going to say! I avoid Best Buy like the plague lol.

H

hjlbx

@ofbeautyandrage

Did you take a look Qihoo 360 Total Security ?

It is freeware.

If you're really adventurous, there's always COMODO... :D

It is free too.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ofbeautyandrage

I'm not really into freeware, I'm more of a premium person lol. I have watched reviews on it though, seems very good.

H

hjlbx

I'm not really into freeware, I'm more of a premium person lol. I have watched reviews on it though, seems very good.

Unfortunately, what you are really paying for when you buy a soft, are updates and support.

Support, generally, is not very well regarded by users - for most any soft vendor.

In my experience, Emsisoft support was always the best - their online support forum that is...

Emsisoft, ESET, Kaspersky - they are worth paying for - but not until you have tried each one out on your specific system.

If you don't thoroughly evaluate each one by using the trial, you will probably be disappointed - bitterly.

Reactions: Rishi

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Good rating in the test is not indicative of it's performance in your system, unless you are using identical computer/ laptop as theirs.
In my view, every computer/laptop has their own set of "behaviour" and hence difference system environment.
Whats one mans meat could be another ones poison. :)

As time goes by, you will slowly realise that AV security suite is not everything, and slowly transition to non-Av protection ;)

I

illumination

Should I even take into consideration the tests from AV Comparatives, Virus Bulletin and Dennis Technology Labs? In one test from Dennis, McAfee actually scored higher than ESET, I find that a little hard to believe.

Reference: What Is The Best Antivirus For My PC? A Step-By-Step Research Guide - Heimdal Security Blog
Take all these tests with a huge grain of salt. Much like the link you just provided here where they place "Yahoo Answers & PC Mag" as good references for answers concerning Security o_O:rolleyes:. Your best bet with picking an application that best suites your need and your system, is to test them yourself. One can of course watch video reviews like the ones here or the mass majority on youtube where you can see the method of testing and results.

O

ofbeautyandrage

I know, when I saw that they recommended Yahoo! and PC Mag, I was like: what? o_O I'm stuck between ESET or Kaspersky, I like both but I'm just afraid to test them out lol. I have heard that Kaspersky doesn't fully protect a 64-bit system anyway.

I

illumination

I know, when I saw that they recommended Yahoo! and PC Mag, I was like: what? o_O I'm stuck between ESET or Kaspersky, I like both but I'm just afraid to test them out lol. I have heard that Kaspersky doesn't fully protect a 64-bit system anyway.
Both of these products are very good, excellent protection, and light on the system "once loaded". KIS used to be a heavy weight champion in its day, but has become much lighter. KIS will impact your system load times especially from a cold boot, once the system is fully loaded though, it is extremely light. Eset has for the most part always been light, although this really depends on the users system, as I have seen some post from certain users claiming they have longer start times ect using Eset now. I am using Eset myself and on my system, it is just as light as windows default security, and does not hamper my workloads in any way,shape or form.

As far as detection/prevention go, all suites on default settings are weaker then if the user took time to learn the modules and tweaked some of the settings. As for these two options listed above, both are relatively strong out of the box though.

I could just give you a straight opinion "of course it would be my own, with my uses, on my system" and would not reflect how this would be for you, and why I stated it is best for you to test drive them on your system and see personally.

Reactions: Rishi and CMLew

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Personally I already tried all of them on my actual system. They are light on system but the most is Emsisoft and then ESET, Kaspersky.

O

ofbeautyandrage

If I installed ESET first which version should I use, 8 or 9? I've heard version 9 is buggy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.