Encrypted files

Discussion in 'Malware Analysis Archive' started by Palanca, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Palanca

Palanca New Member

Oct 5, 2015

I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum...

I have stumbled upon a problem. I have not found a source executable but have alot of encrypted files. The encrypted files has an email appended to the filename. I have found the source user because his user folder has encrypted files. But I can't find any ransom instructions!

Files encrypted has the following file extensions txt, xls, pdf, sql, jpg, mp3, wmv, doc, ppt, gho, xlsm, zip, spf, avi, rar, sldprt, mdb, iso, xml, pdb, rtf (probably more).

What kind of malware could this be?
    Spawn likes this.
  2. frogboy

frogboy Level 61

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    upnorth, LabZero and Spawn like this.
  3. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Windows 10
    @Palanca : Any malware that can be related to Cryptolocker or others cause the number one main attack landscape is by encrypted the common file extensions.
    LabZero likes this.
  4. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 10
  5. Palanca

Palanca New Member

Oct 5, 2015

I posted in that forum but it was moved here. (I think)
  6. LabZero

LabZero Guest

Hello, presumably it could be a ransomware.
    Maybe you don't find the .exe file because it may have been removed by the antivirus but it is only a hypothesis, not knowing the facts.
    Unfortunately there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover the files.
    The only prevention is the backup plan.
    frogboy likes this.