Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Hard_Configurator (recommended settings), Configure Defender (high), Firewall Hardening (recommended rules)
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge (Chromium)
UBlock Origin
Tweaked Anti-Exploit settings for Chromium Edge (see change-log for link)
Maintenance tools
BleachBit
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect (Free)
System recovery
Macrium Reflect (Free) to External HD Monthly
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Acer Aspire E15
Intel Core i3-400SU
Intel HD Graphics 4400
12 Gig DDR 11 RAM
1TB HDD
Notable changes
20/12/2020 - Reverted back to MD H_C

19/12/2020 - Swapped back to latest Comodo Internet Security stable.

07/10/2020 - Tweaked uBO Removing static rule for object,ping to improve browsing.

22/09/2020 - Changed from KeePassXC to Original KeePass 2.x. Also removed KeePassXC Edge Extension.

19/09/2020 - Changed from Windows Mail to Thuderbird 78.2.2

08/09/2020 - Tweaked Chromium Edge Anti-Exploit settings: SECURITY: Complete - ErzCrz Simple Strong Protection

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You may scrap Netcraft and Trafficlight unless you've disabled Edge > Settings > Smartscreen. SS has malware and phishing protection covered, my friend! :D
I disagree :D
SmartScreen is very good but allows a partial download before blocking the malware.
Bitdefender TrafficLight fully blocks the download.
Together they protect you very well against malware and phishing.
So, my preferred combo would be SmartScreen, Bitdefender TrafficLight, uBlock Origin and a password manager.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Does bitdefender provide any DNS hosts file based list? Then that can be used in e.g. NextDNS

Reactions: Protomartyr

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I disagree :D
SmartScreen is very good but allows a partial download before blocking the malware.
Bitdefender TrafficLight fully blocks the download.
Together they protect you very well against malware and phishing.
So, my preferred combo would be SmartScreen, Bitdefender TrafficLight, uBlock Origin and a password manager.

Thanks BD TL is a useful tool and one I'm still using. Trying out ClearURLs o help with tracking as I use Chromium Edge as Balanced but not sure I need ClearUrls with my setup. Password manager wise, I use KeepassXC which links to the desktop app as it has TOTP capability.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks BD TL is a useful tool and one I'm still using. Trying out ClearURLs o help with tracking as I use Chromium Edge as Balanced but not sure I need ClearUrls with my setup. Password manager wise, I use KeepassXC which links to the desktop app as it has TOTP capability.
Not sure about the ClearURLs extension, but it seems like a good one and gets recommended by some members here.
I have set tracking protection in Edge on strict because that ignores site engagement and only added exceptions for some local news sites.
You can learn more about tracking prevention and site engagement here:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Not sure about the ClearURLs extension, but it seems like a good one and gets recommended by some members here.
I have set tracking protection in Edge on strict because that ignores site engagement and only added exceptions for some local news sites.
You can learn more about tracking prevention and site engagement here:

Thanks Gandalf, you've been a big help :D

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just a quick update.

Disabled autofill passwords in chromium edge, exported and put them all in the KeePassXC database, turned off autofill with KPXC extension, setup some two-factor authentication for a number of sites it was possible on and all good to go. I'll change more passwords as I come across the sites I use.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Just a quick update.

Disabled autofill passwords in chromium edge, exported and put them all in the KeePassXC database, turned off autofill with KPXC extension, setup some two-factor authentication for a number of sites it was possible on and all good to go. I'll change more passwords as I come across the sites I use.
Hope that you doesn't add the 2FA into the same database ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Sorted. There's only a few sites with 2FA available that I belong to but sorted those now running authentication with WinAuth (encrypted and Pwd protected) :D

Reactions: Protomartyr

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

Oh for ---- anyway, it's fine, encrypts, password protects and it's what we use for work VPN authentication and just does the job. I don't use my phone as I have a old windows phone from work I use (hoping for and upgrade when it breaks lol) so the options are only PC based. Should have just kept it with KeepassXC and just created a secondary database in that for the Totp. Hmm... anyway, nothing better to do today I guess lol

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Have you tried Bitwarden?

I can have a look at it, looks as though you get 2FA with the free version. Maybe it's time I have a fresh look at password managers. I don't do any browsing when I'm away from this laptop or home really apart from google and maps on my phone. So it doesn't need to be online and doesn't need to sync anywhere as I can always put a copy backup somewhere.

@security123 mentioned having 2FA in a separate database.

I'm just after a simple easy to use secure option. Anyway, time for some research then... Thanks both.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Yes but more important is using two different devices.
I use KeePass (the original) on my Windows PC and andOTP on my GrapheneOS phone. So a attacker need both devices which of course are fully encrypted and as both databases are offline, I don't need fear any online hack or corruption.

Ah ok, makes sense, thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.